Notifications
Clear all

BB, QB, BSG, BST - pulling angles, how fast, any tips

Comas
(@comas)
Copper
Topic starter  

New to the double wing but I am all in and need a little advice. 

We have only played one game and were bad on offense but all the kids are new to the team and we had 6 practices to get ready & that includes putting in the defense (33 Stack).  The team consists of 3rd & 4th graders.

I watched the film and corrected a lot of the glaring issues on the Toss (WB not direct enough to LOS, QB getting in way, BB approach to DE wrong - moved him to Offset) but I am still struggling with pulling Guard & Tackle.  I know we are still short on reps and in due time it might just click.  I have spent a lot of time with the pullers (stance - still working on, pulling down the line, staying low).

More than anything I am looking for advice on what you guys have done to implement the offense effectively. 

CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

The bad news is this offense isn't usually implemented in 6 practices ... so you will struggle early ...

Focus on the QUICK SERIES 1st ...

WEDGE, SWEEP and BOOT ... then go with XX (this is just like TOSS so you should have the basics in already) ...

Once that series is going smooth you can get TOSS & the TOSS SERIES working ...

TOSS, CUT, SUPER TOSS & TOSS PASS

That is a much tougher group of plays to get working so they require more time ...

Use film from practice and games ... but don't try to fix EVERYTHING at the same time ... just pick 3 or 4 things each day to work on and get right ...

Get your pullers tight in the hole and make the ball carrier ride them through the hole ... push on their backs and help open the hole ... run TOSS, CUT and XX as tight as you can ... up against a fence or a wall if need be ... if not available, stand there with a blocking shield and knock down the runner or pullers if they go too wide ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
Comas
(@comas)
Copper
Topic starter  

We have been banging away with the wedge and using it as the primary play and it has made a world of difference.  It has helped in setting up the Toss and the reverse as teams have started committing to stopping the Wedge.  We have actually thrown a couple of TD's to the backside TE (fake the hand-off- 1 quick step back & throw).

I am relentlessly practicing angle blocking and working with the pullers.  We are getting there on the Toss, I am feeling better.

I am also adding the Shift formation to add another dimension for teams to consider but keeping all the blocking concepts the same.

I appreciate the help.

ReplyQuote
Share: