Notifications
Clear all

Got a Team!

texasbuzzard
(@texasbuzzard)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coach selections are over and I am the head coach of the team I wanted.  This will be my first year running the double wing and I am all-in SDW.  The other coach in my division is running Gregory DW and he has run it for three years now and is very helpful.  This is gonna be a fun one.  I saw a mention of a shotgun SDW, any news on that?

dfwcanes
(@dfwcanes)
Bronze

Congrats coach! Are you located near the Dallas Ft Worth area?

ReplyQuote
texasbuzzard
(@texasbuzzard)
Bronze
Topic starter  

nope, east houston area.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

Nothing on paper for the Shotgun yet ... I am thinking of field testing it this year (or not) ... but we can talk about it if you like ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
Rjdafoe
(@rjdafoe)
Bronze

It is a fine offense and especially easy on the first timer.  I am going to be using it for the second year this year.  Last year was for the 7-9 year olds (mostly 8 year olds)  This year I have moved up to 8-10 year olds, most of them 9 at this point.

Made a few mistakes last year and I am looking to correct them this year.  I am also playing with a Gun formation on paper right now.  It is basically the Simple DW in Jack Gregories shift formation.  The line play remains the same, the backs are slightly different because of alignment.

Well have a few more tags this year as well.  Only installed Over and what I called Home - the QB would take the BS DE when that was called instead of pulling through the hole.  Only needed it a couple of times.  Sometimes we were a little slow to the hole, and this helped us a couple of times on a faster
DE.

Glad to hear that JJ is thinking about the Gun and how to simplify it!

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

What age group?

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
texasbuzzard
(@texasbuzzard)
Bronze
Topic starter  

9/10's

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

This is perfect.  Not only for starting DW but you can go all the way to HS with this IMHO.  You can just add/subtract what you want.  The DW is the DW.  Just because you call something

"Lordhavemercy 45 Jumpskidoo backside blast hopping rabbit fold"

instead of

"Black Toss"

Don't mean they aren't the same thing!  Just add tags.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

So I am going to start another THREAD entitled SIMPLE GUN to move this little discussion so we can all find it easier as it gets older ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
Share: