Notifications
Clear all

I am all kinds of f*cking wound up right now

Page 1 / 2

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

I'm posting this here because, well, I don't want it in general, and the guys hanging in JJ's system section are my bro's, and it's more about the O than the D.  🙂

We're 3-0, for the first time since we started coaching this age group (9-10's Pop Warner Jr. Pee Wee), this is our 6th year.  For the past 3 years, we've been knocked out of playoff contention by one team.  We have them this weekend.  For the first year, I think we SHOULD beat them vs. could beat them.  They're down a bit - they're 1-2, and were beaten by two teams we scrimmaged that weren't all that (but weren't bad).  They are a good team, but we should be better.

But man, I am all friggin wound up.  I am PETRIFIED that I'm missing something important, that we're not going to put the kids in the right places to make plays and win.

Offensively - we should own this team.  They run a straight 5-3 with their LB's 4-5 yards off the ball.  Their DE's play pretty tight, and their DT's were lined up inside the OT in the two games I watched.  Their LB's are their best 3 players; they have some size, not spectacular speed.  MLB is their best player, he's good.  They will walk up their left OLB onto the line outside the DT and the other two LB's will shift a bit to their left to cover for it.  That does give us some trouble with TKO, as it puts a guy head up on the TE and just outside the TE, and the TE and WB get confused.

Last night we went live 11 on 11 for about 20 minutes, and I ran nothing but power right for 10 minutes, then power left for 10.  I was working on my TE recognizing his path - if the OLB wasn't inside of him, to forget him and go down to the DT; if the DT is inside the OT, go get the MLB.  And likewise get the WB to react to that - if the OLB is up on the line and out of the TE's path, fire off the ball and block him down into the wall.  If the OLB is up on the line but inside the TE, go get the MLB.

It was a MESS, bodies everywhere, but I think we finally got it.  The D knew what was coming, yet we were still gashing them pretty good once I was able to get the TE and WB to block their paths and ignore the chaos.

I also think we can sweep on them, as their DE is pretty tight.  I only pull the G in my O, so I had to jettison JJ's quick sweep as I couldn't account for both the playside LB and CB with only the PSG out in front.  I added a Wing-I formation last night and a pitch sweep with the FB (still offset) and G out in front.  I think it gets out there faster than a hand-off to the WB.  I also added a straight hand-off TB ISO out of it as well.  I think if I can get the ball outside the DE fast, and at least bother the CB and OLB, we can outrun the rest of the D and get at least 5-6 yards a pop on it, if not break one.

We also have a loose over jet sweep installed, will use that.  Again - works great if our FB, slot and SE can at least get a piece of the DE, OLB and CB.  Not so much if they whiff.

I hated to use all that practice time on one play, but I figure we have to get power down, and that's the one play we run over and over in practice and not worry about the D "cheating".  I figure the wall side is the same whether power or counter (I flip the line), and it's harder to run counter when the D knows it's coming.  Same with sweep.

There's no real point to this thread, other than to try to dump all the anxiety out of my head, and to see if I'm missing anything.

COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

You sound like me.  I'm always worked up for big games.  Your team will feed off your intensity, just try to avoid being panicked.

Big games, pads seem to crack a little louder.  Fakes look a little better.  Coaches smile a lot less, and focus a bit more.  In turn, the kids do as well.

Last year is last year.  Your the better team and you'll take care of business on Saturday.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

J

Sounds too me like this is the season !

Good luck my friend.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

You need to get laid !!!

Tell mama you require some special love the morning of the game so you can relax man ... 😎

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

LOL.

Ain't THAT the truth!

I'll try to get her drunk Friday night.  🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

F*ck.

We play this game 8am Sunday morning.

Our 3 year starting QB and CB (an O/L this year), two year captain and probably our best player, just went to the Dr. today.  Has croup which usually, combined with his asthma, turns into instant pneumonia.  They gave him meds, but right now he's up in the air.

Further complicating matters - our third CB, who is also our 4th WB, has a broken wrist.

So we might be down to starting our 4th CB, who actually is pretty decent, but he's nowhere near as good as the starter.  Our 5th CB is our second R and starts at OS, so I really don't want to use him at CB.  Obviously, doesn't really matter at this point what I want.

Our back up QB is our starting FB and 3rd WB.  So if we have to use him at QB, we may end up needing our 5th WB (same kid as our 4th CB) to play key snaps if anyone gets tired/dinged.  He's not a bad runner, but has trouble remembering the plays, catching the toss and has put the ball on the ground in practice.  Our 6th WB is our starting QG, who hasn't taken a rep at WB in weeks.

I don't know if we can win this game if our QB doesn't play.  We already have so many dominoes teetering.

Sigh.  Not good at all.  We are getting THIN all of the sudden.  We're also down our starting STE who also starts at Dog, out for 2 weeks with a concussion suffered in last week's game.  Having our back up Dog in the game doesn't help the CB situation either.

Guess this is why we get the big bucks... ::)

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Man, you got a lot of backups.  Lol.  I think you have less to worry about that you think.  I've never in my coaching career had a even a 4th WB let alone a 5th!  How many kids do you have?  Seems like thats A LOT of kids to give reps to.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I was thinking the same thing.

"Get the sixth wingback over here right now!"

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

That's the point. They don't get reps,lol.

I basically have 4 kids I trust implicitly in my backfield. They are the starters at the 4 spots.

I also have a decent back up FB.

I had a third WB (remember I'm DW, so I have 2 of them on the field) I was starting to trust, broke his wrist. I don't trust my 4th WB yet. So I have been using the 2nd FB and rotating the starter in at WB to give kids a rest.

The problem is he (starting FB/WB) is also the 2nd QB. So if my QB goes down, I lose this kid at FB AND WB. So if a WB needs to come out, I'm down to a kid I don't trust.

I'd rest them on D but I run into the same depth problems.

In other words, I have the starters, but if one goes down I have ZIP.

Oh, well. It happens.

And I understand I have good depth. Heck, I have a good team. We're just getting hit with some unfortunate key injuries. Like I said, it happens.  Doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it does.

Off to bed. We'll see what happens. 

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Yeah, I worry too much.

QB played full game.  We just pounded them, won 35-7.

We're the second team from our org at the Pop Warner D level.  We play an 8 game regular season schedule. We're 4-0, our next 3 games will be name the score type games, not good opponents. That means we just locked up the game 8 play-in game for playoffs, we play the second place "1" team. We will most likely play the 1 team from the org we just beat today. Our 1 team beat them today to also go to 4-0 and take over first place.

Never been 4-0. Never been better than 6-2.  Should take care of that one 3 weeks from now. Would have never thought this would be the team to do it.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Yeah, I worry too much.

We're the second team from our org at the Pop Warner D level.  We play an 8 game regular season schedule. We're 4-0, our next 3 games will be name the score type games, not good opponents. That means we just locked up the game 8 play-in game for playoffs, we play the second place "1" team. We will most likely play the 1 team from the org we just beat today. Our 1 team beat them today to also go to 4-0 and take over first place.

Never been 4-0. Never been better than 6-2.  Should take care of that one 3 weeks from now. Would have never thought this would be the team to do it.

Kinda what i figured.  For most of us, all of our backups stink.  This is the 2nd year i've ever had a solid group of backups.  Normally i'm happy to get 11 quality players, and theygo both ways, and i just hope no one gets hurt.  This year is the exception to the rule.  But even still, i only have 22 kids now (20 playing, 2 out w/ injury) i just happen to have one of those really rare teams, where out of 22 kids, 15-16 are legit.

Nice win bud.  What do you mean my "D" Level?

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Jr Pee Wee

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Jr Pee Wee

Got it. 

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Just took a look at the film.

I've spent a LOT of time working on the backs and their blocking - showed today.  Of our 5 TD's, 4 were on sweeps, and the backs got out there and got a piece of somebody, enough to let the back get through.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Yeah, I worry too much.

🙂 🙂 🙂

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: