Notifications
Clear all

Pass Protection

Rjdafoe
(@rjdafoe)
Bronze
Topic starter  

How does everyone teach pass protection blocking for Toss Pass and Quick Pass?  I understand basic pass protection, but I am weak on the specifics of the technique.  Do you have your oline move forward, or backward on first step?  I have seen both taught where I am at.

Thanks!

CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

I go back and forth with this ... most years we just RUN BLOCK but we teach the boys NOT to go past the LOS whether they are pulling or blocking down ...

Other years we teach a slide toward the side we are throwing to that just looks like a moving wall ... we are foot to foot with our splits anyway so long as no one breaks through we are pretty happy ... using the LEG steps we use for every block and tackle that technique is a pretty simple teach ...

TOSS PASS - SLIDE STRONG
(assuming strong right)
Load Step - 3" horizontally to the right with right foot
Explode Step - 3" horizontally to the right with the left foot (explode hands up and into the defender)
GO Steps - moving right down the LOS chopping feet and maintaining contact with defender

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
Rjdafoe
(@rjdafoe)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks JJ.  I will try the slide that you describe above.

ReplyQuote
Share: