Notifications
Clear all

Silent No-Huddle

texasbuzzard
(@texasbuzzard)
Bronze
Topic starter  

This probably could be in a different forum but the simplicity of JJ's DW, IMO, makes it an easy install.  I was thinking of calling a silent no-huddle series in and it would be in scripted, three play series.  The only one that needs to communicate with the sideline is the QB.  His play card would have an extra line or panel and we would have two to four series called in- Cheetah red/Cheetah blue/Cheetah Yellow/Cheetah Black.  There is some pre-training for the whole team from day one.  The clap drill,  where everybody claps on "Go" to demonstrate cadence and timing, will be drilled from day one.  After a week or so, you can add the silent snap by just dropping the "set" but keep the rhythm "Shift...Ready...(crickets)...Go".  If you have ever got kids to sing the B-I-N-G-O (was his name-O) song, you get the picture.  The important thing is to maintain a consistent cadence. 

To keep the teaching down, I would limit the series to the most basic of plays. We could audible a formation too.  Toss, Wedge, Boot pass, cut, reverse.  Need to emphasize mixing up the place names such as
Toss = Tulia, Taft, Tatum...
Wedge = Waco, West, Wink...
Boot Pass = Buda, Bangs, Brady...
Reverse = Rusk, Rice, Rotan...

Those are all different first letter names, so the initial install to my kids would be-

1.  QB audible using place names: Texas, Wichita, Bobo, Corsicana, Redrock.  Let the QB yap some numbers for chatter, still have motion
    Cadence is : "555 Texas, 555 Texas, Shift....Ready....Set....Go"
    So as of right now the QB needs to remember the sequence "We are in Cheetah red and I just ran wedge, my card says toss is next"
    I don't know if I would finish the series and look to the sideline or the series resets on a first down.  I like the idea of resetting at first down. 12 yard toss play?  Thank you and we will have another.

2.  QB audible using place names with a color prefix:  Rio=snap on "ready", Spur=snap on "set", Gun=snap on "Go"
      Cadence is : "22 Spur Temple, 22 Spur Temple, (pause)Shift....(crickets)....(SNAP)....
      So as of right now the QB needs to remember the sequence "We are in Cheetah red and I just ran wedge, my card says spur toss is next"

I would install "spur" pretty quick and we would practice it during warm ups as we moved across, give the play to the QB, have him repeat it, "45 Spur Temple,(pause)Shift....(they all go)"

I bet that "spur" is probably as far as a really young or inexperienced team can go.  I just thought of this and it surely is a rough draft, still haven't figured out how to get the line flipped at no-huddle.  Baby steps. 

anybody see anything wrong with that?

Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I really like it.

We did something similar with our first string offense.  I scripted 3 plays right off the bat.  If we got a first down, repeat the script from the start.  If I held up my hand I would stop the script and would go to the wrist band.

I will definately go in with some scripted stuff again,

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

We have done various things with no huddle over the years ... the one I liked most was the 'Check With Me' system we put in the playbook ...

CHECK WITH ME - This is a ‘high level’ TAG that we only install with our older
teams. This TAG is one reason why each BASE PLAY is taught as part of a series.
For example the TOSS Series is TOSS, TOSS CUT, TOSS REVERSE, SUPER TOSS, TOSS
SPIN and TOSS PASS. So basically when we call TOSS CHECK WITH ME, our QB
goes to the LOS, surveys the defense and then if necessary, we can change
from TOSS to one of the other plays in the series. We use a very simple audible
call. Depending on our QB, we either allow him to read the defense and call
the audible or we can have the coaches call the audible from the sideline.
Either way, we are using a 2-digit audible number before starting the cadence.
The first digit of the number is live. So any number beginning with a 2 would be
our TOSS CUT play (23, 28, etc.), beginning with a 3 is our TOSS REVERSE play (31,
36, etc.). Any numbers the QB calls that don’t refer to a play from 2-6 and we
just run our TOSS play. Now we just have to teach the QB what to look for at the
LOS. This is a great way to run a ‘hurry up’ offense as well.

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
texasbuzzard
(@texasbuzzard)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I have been an all no-huddle team before and when we had some issues with getting the play in (which is my fault, I know)  we ended up huddling, poorly.  I found that the kids lined up better after huddling for some reason.  I think we can still play a fast tempo if needed by calling some plays (check with me) or even a scripted thing. 

I think I can make adjustments and flip the line better and more accurate with a runner.  Did you use a huddle with the SDW?   

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold

We have done some no huddle in the past ... but it isn't often ... we like to 'control' the tempo of the game ... we want it rushed and hurried when the badguys have the ball (easier to make a mistake) but when we have the ball we are calm cool and collected ... I feel that cant be achieved as easily without huddling ... not impossible but not easy either ... the pace becomes more hectic even for a team that sits on the ball and doesn't snap it until later in the play clock ... when they rush to the line you often see someone has to move or change his stance or whatever because he lined up too quickly ...

This happens from a huddle as well ... because people 'hustle' from the huddle to the line of scrimmage ... we never do that unless we are in a 'hurry up mode' ... we break the huddle and walk to the LOS ... unhurried ... we are in control of the game and we do it at our pace ... ball control on offense ... take as long as we want ...

It all fits with our idea that we are playing keep away from the badguys offense ... and when they get the ball they will rush to score because they haven't had it in soooo long ... obviously this plan works best when we have long drives that end in touchdowns ... tough to do with penalties ... but we feel like we eliminate some penalties just because we never rush ... over the years I have had to slow down most of my QBs ... they always want to go too fast ... rush up to the Center and get the ball snapped ... the rest of the team usually 'gets it' much easier and they just confidently 'saunter' up to the ball ... so we have to work with the QB to slow down and wait on everyone ... 😎

Our pace works so well that some times the OC or HC from the badguys gets impatient even when we have a shorter drive like 6 plays ... but we can eat up half a quarter with 6-8 plays ... we unpile slowly ... we let the officials spot the ball as slow as they want ... we get in our huddle and get the play ... then we move to the line and go to work ...

Between our aggressive '3 and off the field defense' and our attitude that we never punt and always onside kick ... we truly believe our time of possession is responsible for most of our wins ... we don't just win the time of possession ... we DOMINATE time of possession ... 2to1, 3to1, even 4to1 ...

And yes the teams that are head and shoulders above us still find a way to beat us sometimes ... its not a magic pill ... it just fits in with the other things we do to help us win a few that we shouldn't have won ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

ReplyQuote
Share: