Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Welcome to the Simple Double Wing ...

CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

EDIT - 5/21/2021 -
I am attaching the chalkboard version of our Simple DW playbook so it will be pinned to the top of this board.

Yes there are a lot of Double Wing resources on the internet and in fact there are a few places on this forum where you can go to learn about the Double Wing Offense ...

Many of them have subtle differences and different flavors ... ALL OF THEM ARE GOOD !!!

Our version is definitely a little different than the others ... we have worked very hard over the years to simplify everything ... from player placement to play calling to maximum repetitions for every position and every step/path from every play we run ... here are a few of the things we do:

Formation/Alignment Differences

• Offset Fullback - almost all the time

• Strong Side Line - mostly blocks, pulls sometimes

• Quick Side Line - mostly pulls, blocks sometimes

• Halfback & Wingback - distinct positions w/ different jobs for different types of runners

• We FLIP the Entire Offense

Play Calling Differences

• Strong Side Game - how we attack to the strong side of our alignment

• Quick Side Game - how we balance the attack so the defense cant sell out on the strong side

• Toss Series - Toss, Toss Cut, Super Toss, Toss Pass, Toss Lead, Toss Reverse

• Quick Series - Quick Wedge, Quick Sweep, Quick XX, Quick Boot, Quick Trap, Quick Dive

• The ability to ALWAYS have my toughest runner, behind my best pullers, behind my best blockers on the best play in football - TOSS

So if any of this interests you, please feel free to stop in and talk some Simple Double Wing Football !!!

This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by CoachJJ

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan
  Former English Department Chairman
  Erasmus Hall High School - Brooklyn, New York

Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

I see you have made a few changes to last years simple DW.  Are you planning to put out a 2013 version?

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
texasbuzzard
(@texasbuzzard)
Bronze

Completely bought in.  We are SDW this year.  I am fretting over installing some small series (DW gun spin) towards the end of the year but I don't want to look that far ahead right now.  I want to work on a play sheet for the wrist coaches and a way to go silent hurry up, think I have it but won't know until I can rep with kids.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

I see you have made a few changes to last years simple DW.  Are you planning to put out a 2013 version?

Actually the only difference is we started giving the ball to the HB on our 'spin' play instead of running the QB ... we call it LEAD to differentiate from SPIN ... I should have noted that when I wrote the above post ... blocking is the same though ...

I may be doing an additional SHOTGUN supplement this year but I am not sure yet ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

"Football may be the best-taught subject in American High Schools because it may be the only subject that we haven't tried to make easy."

~Dorothy Farnan

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

Completely bought in.  We are SDW this year.  I am fretting over installing some small series (DW gun spin) towards the end of the year but I don't want to look that far ahead right now.  I want to work on a play sheet for the wrist coaches and a way to go silent hurry up, think I have it but won't know until I can rep with kids.

when you start that silent hurry up play sheet, lets start a new thread here so we can all kinda hash it out ... I would love to hear everyone's ideas on this ...

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

~Dorothy Farnan

ReplyQuote
coachmsl
(@coachmsl)
Bronze

Yes there are a lot of Double Wing resources on the internet and in fact there are a few places on this forum where you can go to learn about the Double Wing Offense ...

Many of them have subtle differences and different flavors ... ALL OF THEM ARE GOOD !!!

Our version is definitely a little different than the others ... we have worked very hard over the years to simplify everything ... from player placement to play calling to maximum repetitions for every position and every step/path from every play we run ... here are a few of the things we do:

Formation/Alignment Differences

• Offset Fullback - almost all the time
  • Strong Side Line - mostly blocks, pulls sometimes
  • Quick Side Line - mostly pulls, blocks sometimes
  • Halfback & Wingback - distinct positions w/ different jobs for different types of runners
  • We FLIP the Entire Offense

Play Calling Differences

• Strong Side Game - how we attack to the strong side of our alignment
  • Quick Side Game - how we balance the attack so the defense cant sell out on the strong side
  • Toss Series - Toss, Toss Cut, Super Toss, Toss Pass, Toss Lead, Toss Reverse
  • Quick Series - Quick Wedge, Quick Sweep, Quick XX, Quick Boot, Quick Trap, Quick Dive
  • The ability to ALWAYS have my toughest runner, behind my best pullers, behind my best blockers on the best play in football - TOSS

So if any of this interests you, please feel free to stop in and talk some Simple Double Wing Football !!!

This is where i need to be! 

Im moving back down to 3rd grade this year.  Simple DW.  Lets get it ON!!!

Matt

What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

I am simple with 8th graders ... lol

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

~Dorothy Farnan

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

Actually the only difference is we started giving the ball to the HB on our 'spin' play instead of running the QB ... we call it LEAD to differentiate from SPIN ... I should have noted that when I wrote the above post ... blocking is the same though ...

I may be doing an additional SHOTGUN supplement this year but I am not sure yet ...

So you just lead through with the FB and the QB?  Blocking the same as the spin?  That is almost exactly like the "tunnel" we used for our Brown Toss last year.  The only difference is we TKO'd with everyone except TE.

Also a slight change we used in our passing play last year was we blocked back with our motioning HB and sent the backside TE on a fly right down the middle.  The HB would go in motion like normal on HIT he would stop and block back towards where the TE was.  Everything else was the same.  He was open nearly every play after having run the regular toss pass a few times (with QB throwing).

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

So you just lead through with the FB and the QB?  Blocking the same as the spin?  That is almost exactly like the "tunnel" we used for our Brown Toss last year.  The only difference is we TKO'd with everyone except TE.

Also a slight change we used in our passing play last year was we blocked back with our motioning HB and sent the backside TE on a fly right down the middle.  The HB would go in motion like normal on HIT he would stop and block back towards where the TE was.  Everything else was the same.  He was open nearly every play after having run the regular toss pass a few times (with QB throwing).

Actually we had a fragile QB so we handed off and let him boot and your 'tunnel' sounds like is still attacking C-gap if the OT blocks down ... on this the OT blocks out and we are hitting B-gap because we have found most teams leave that open against us ...

I like the idea of a 'counter pass' where you make the safety pay for defending TOSS PASS ... my only problem is that I probably dont run TOSS PASS enough for it to be effective ... LOL

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

~Dorothy Farnan

ReplyQuote
Winger
(@winger)
Bronze

The challenge of being a youth coach is in simplifying football schemes, concepts and execution. JJ, I really appreciate the work you have done in this regard. I had a stud team last year that earned us a spot in the A division. My studs moved. Your approach to this offense will help me immensely.

BP

ReplyQuote
CoachJJ
(@coachjj)
Gold
Topic starter  

The challenge of being a youth coach is in simplifying football schemes, concepts and execution. JJ, I really appreciate the work you have done in this regard. I had a stud team last year that earned us a spot in the A division. My studs moved. Your approach to this offense will help me immensely.

I don't think I could be a winning coach without simple concepts that allow me to spend time on developing the kids techniques and athleticism ... it is an approach I will never change !!!  Thanks for the kind words !!!

Coach JJ
www.CoachSomebody.com

~Dorothy Farnan

ReplyQuote
coachcoolnoe
(@coachcoolnoe)
Copper

The lead play you do seems like its very similar the Coach Gregory`s Part play. He had the ST & STE TKO out C & SG TKO in like normal and leads FB, pulling BSG & BST thru B gap. The QB tosses to HB then boots wide and fakes a throw to WB who runs a corner route. The WB jumps up as he is making a leaping catch. Usually the corner and safety get drawn away from where HB is running with ball.

ReplyQuote
Share: