7U AYF Beast  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Deano
(@deano)
Lurker
July 31, 2019 11:32 am  

Hi all!

I have been playing with some beast plays for my 7U team.  Unfortunately, in AYF we are forced to run two TEs (3 down linemen on each side of the center), and also cant pull anyone.  The only good thing, is the D is forced to have 6 down linemen, head up with the O line (none over center). I still think the beast would work well though.  I have a blast play to the C gap on both sides, a sweep on both sides, counters, and also a back side TE pop where the most outside RB runs a post. I might even play with running it under center.  Do you think I missed anything?  The alignment would look like this:

TE T G C G T TE
                                              Q      B  B  B

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 31, 2019 12:04 pm  

I don’t favor 2 Backs outside of the TE, especially if pulling isn’t allowed.  (Good grief, what sense do those “rules” even make?) Regardless, I’d line up so that I could run Wedge against it all day long.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Head Coach
July 31, 2019 12:17 pm  

Even in Beast.  Put your 3 backs within the TE.  Lets them lead on Blast, and gives them good angles around the edge on sweep.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
July 31, 2019 12:23 pm  

Running it from under center completely changes the lines of force...at 7, there is going to be penetration, so having the QB that close to the LOS is going to be trouble as he will have to retreat before moving forward. If you are worried about the snap...teach dead ball snap...(center holds the ball by the nose and flips it back to the QB)...depth at 3 yards behind the C would be my suggestion...

I agree with Dave...move you backs in some...the widest back should split the TE in half in my opinion.

I also agree with Dave...they are begging you to run Wedge, giving the Center a free pass...

At 7, a post is a terrible idea...never never throw the ball into the middle of the field when they are that young...unless you want the ball picked 😛 If you want a pass play...run a sail concept...a Seam, an Out at 7 yards and a Speed Out on the LOS...and if the Speed Out is not open, have the QB run 🙂

Power, Counter (how are you running the counter?), Sweep, Wedge and a pass of some sort...seems pretty solid to me 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 31, 2019 4:40 pm  

I agree with all of the ideas above... would use them all.

The only one I would add to it is Coach Parker's Beast Right 16 tank, with the line track blocking down and the backs kicking out. In his formation, he had the RB's directly behind the G, T, E.

This play worked very well for me last year, especially with the QB under center.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 31, 2019 6:08 pm  

Running it from under center completely changes the lines of force...at 7, there is going to be penetration, so having the QB that close to the LOS is going to be trouble as he will have to retreat before moving forward. If you are worried about the snap...teach dead ball snap...(center holds the ball by the nose and flips it back to the QB)...depth at 3 yards behind the C would be my suggestion...

With 7Us, 3 yards behind the center is pretty deep!  I'd say 3 giant steps.

ReplyQuote
Deano
(@deano)
Lurker
August 1, 2019 3:31 am  

Thanks for all of the information guys! I appreciate it!  The only reason I was thinking the widest back could run a post is because the teams around here at this age do not really play a safety over the top, so if the linebackers are crashing to stop the blast, he should be out there all by himself and would only run it if that was happening.  I am going to try and get a short shotgun out of the center.  Also, the only reason I was thinking under center is because the rules dictate that a fumbled snap under center is a "do over", and a fumbled shotgun snap is live.  With the backs being closer would you still run a play to the outside?  With the sweep play, I had the outside back crashing down on the DE to seal the edge and have the two inside backs go outside to block the linebackers.  Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
August 1, 2019 4:13 am  

With the backs being closer would you still run a play to the outside?  With the sweep play, I had the outside back crashing down on the DE to seal the edge and have the two inside backs go outside to block the linebackers.  Thanks again!

With the edge you set with the off set line its harder to run outside on the right so I, being the dumbest coach on here, think that your outside runs will be to the left off of a reverse. Most coaches will set up a host of players on the outside waiting for a sweep. I run my sweeps to my "short side" of my line, but again I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 1, 2019 5:11 am  

I would go with a 2 handed end over end snap at that age group. Especially with the center being uncovered.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 1, 2019 6:32 am  

I am going to try and get a short shotgun out of the center.  Also, the only reason I was thinking under center is because the rules dictate that a fumbled snap under center is a "do over", and a fumbled shotgun snap is live.

Can you put one of the blocking backs under center with his legs spread?  If you're trying to snap to the fullback but the blocking back was in a position to take a hands-to-hands snap thru the snapper's legs, can you get a do-over if the snap goes thru the blocking back's legs but is muffed by the fullback?  How do they know which back your snap was intended for?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 1, 2019 7:43 am  

the only reason I was thinking under center is because the rules dictate that a fumbled snap under center is a "do over"

--A "do over?"  Oh please tell me that you're making this up.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 1, 2019 7:45 am  

I am going to try and get a short shotgun out of the center.

At 7u?  So I'm guessing this is 5-7?  I really don't like any sort of gun-snap at that age level.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Deano
(@deano)
Lurker
August 1, 2019 9:10 am  

Can you put one of the blocking backs under center with his legs spread?  If you're trying to snap to the fullback but the blocking back was in a position to take a hands-to-hands snap thru the snapper's legs, can you get a do-over if the snap goes thru the blocking back's legs but is muffed by the fullback?  How do they know which back your snap was intended for?

LMAO, that is a good point and I never even thought about that!

--A "do over?"  Oh please tell me that you're making this up.

No sir, I can assure you, I am not making this up. LOL  They consider it "instructional"

At 7u?  So I'm guessing this is 5-7?  I really don't like any sort of gun-snap at that age level.

This is strictly 7 year olds, 5 and 6 are flag teams for us.

So, since we have to have a balanced line, how does this look:

TE T G C G T TE
                                  Q  B B  B

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 1, 2019 9:21 am  

Steve Parker once kicked my ass running balanced Beast under center with 3rd graders.

If you want to pass, no one covers the TE. Send your outside sniffer on a Go or a Post, then run an out or shallow corner with the same side TE. Or, run a drag with your back side TE. He might as well be invisible.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 1, 2019 9:39 am  

No sir, I can assure you, I am not making this up. LOL  They consider it "instructional"

For the coaches or the players?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: