Notifications

A tale of two leagues, Or, Last night I fell in love with the single wing  

RSS

cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze
September 12, 2014 5:15 am  

In my town there are two youth football programs.  One we will call Program C (For competitive, not cocky or crazy).  C is “serious youth football”.  They work hand in hand with the jr high and high school coaches.  They have the same set of coaches year after year, running the same systems.  They take about half the kids that try out, there is no guaranteed playing time for any kid.  The league sends the coaches to training, and buy supplies them with all the practice equipment they need.  They charge a premium to the kids lucky enough to be in the league.  They tell you that this league needs to be the priority after school.  Miss a practice and you wont play that weekend.

Program F (For Fun, or maybe foolish, you decide)  is just the opposite.  The first thing the league director tells you is that if this kids football league is in your top 10 most important things you have going on, either you have a sad life or your priorities are really screwed up.  They take any and all comers.  Every kid gets 8 plays a half (not including special teams)  The coaches are whatever parents check “will coach” on the sign up form.  They get the kids helmets and pads, and each team a ball.  After that it’s up to the coaches to get equipment.

(Note I’m not making judgements on which is the correct way to run a youth football league, just pointing out the huge difference between the two)

The last two years my oldest son played in the F(un) league, and I was the dc.  This year his old team fell apart, and he hit a HUGE growth spurt, so he asked to step up to the competitive league.

Now I’m the DC in the F(un) league for my youngest son (4th grade).  We are running the DCSW.  The HC chose this because his brother in law also coaches in the fun league for a 5th grade team, and runs the DCSW.  Our coaches went to the first few practices of the 5th grade fun league DCSW team to see how it all worked.  They just happen to practice at the same park as my older sons 5 and 6th (19 6th, 6 5th) grade team.    Last night they scrimmaged.

So, the 5th and 6th grade competitive team scrimmaged the 5th grade fun league team.  It was a massacre.  They didn’t stop the single wing once.  On 5 drives the sw team only had 3rd down 4 times, and that was because they came flat out and said we are running nothing but 16 power this drive.  It was glorious.  The unbalanced line confused them, the wedge beat them into submission.  The Competitive team has had a very dominating DLine so far this season.  Against younger and smaller kids they were shut down by the GOD blocking double/triple teams.  (my son plays DT, and was about to lose his mind at all the triple teams he drew).  Now normally I’m not happy to see my son pushed around and his team lose, but I must admit this was not only highly entertaining but also very encouraging. 

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Head Coach
September 12, 2014 5:37 am  

That's pretty cool.  A testament to the UBSW, but also a testament to hard work and good coaching.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
pogmaster3
(@pogmaster3)
Bronze
September 12, 2014 7:03 am  

Great story...Amazing thread title  8)

“It is all too common for caterpillars to become butterflies and then to maintain that in their youth they had been little butterflies. Maturation makes liars of us all.” ― George Vaillant

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
September 12, 2014 7:29 am  

It was a massacre.  They didn’t stop the single wing once.  On 5 drives the sw team only had 3rd down 4 times, and that was because they came flat out and said we are running nothing but 16 power this drive.  It was glorious.  The unbalanced line confused them, the wedge beat them into submission.  The Competitive team has had a very dominating DLine so far this season.  Against younger and smaller kids they were shut down by the GOD blocking double/triple teams.  (my son plays DT, and was about to lose his mind at all the triple teams he drew).  Now normally I’m not happy to see my son pushed around and his team lose, but I must admit this was not only highly entertaining but also very encouraging.

What did the C league team coaches do while (and after) getting their asses kicked?

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver
Head Coach
September 12, 2014 7:37 am  

What did the C league team coaches do while (and after) getting their asses kicked?

I'd imagine they'll go to the admin to get the UBSW banned from the league....

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
September 12, 2014 7:43 am  

I'd imagine they'll go to the admin to get the UBSW banned from the league....

+1

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze
September 12, 2014 7:55 am  

He was deeply confused.  He's actually a good coach, and didn't take it out on the kids.  He started trying to make adjustments.  He put all the lb keying the bb on one series so they ran burst to great effect.  He shifted his linemen over, then had 31 trap kill him.

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze
September 12, 2014 8:23 am  

He was deeply confused.  He's actually a good coach, and didn't take it out on the kids.  He started trying to make adjustments.  He put all the lb keying the bb on one series so they ran burst to great effect.  He shifted his linemen over, then had 31 trap kill him.

Good for him not taking out on the kids.  We need more coaches like him. Most coaches against the SW resort to, "WATCH THE MIDDLE PLAY!!!!"

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze
September 15, 2014 5:27 pm  

Good for him not taking out on the kids.  We need more coaches like him. Most coaches against the SW resort to, "WATCH THE MIDDLE PLAY!!!!"

Lmao....last year we played a team and there coach yelled wedge wedge wedge every time we ran 16 power. Idiot

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
Share: