Notifications
Clear all

Attacking aggressive DEs

HawkB
(@hawkb)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coaches,

I am seeking opinions  on how to attack and neutralized aggressive DEs. He is probably the quickest I have ever seen at the youth level. Constraints are that I am dealing with limited qb arm to expose on the 16P  and 18 sweep pass. The RE and Mike Backer are probably two most athletic in the league. I know the manual says sweep vs crashing ends, but how can we work on it with the Playside RE and RCB being aggressive and redirect pretty fast.

M           
      L            L
E  t    t t  t        RE  CB
.o.o.x.o.o.o.o
            3        ..4

Ideas are the
1. Nasty---------------------
2. Nasty tunnel------------
3. Wing on----------------
4. Cheat 3 back over
5. Super---------------------
6. Omaha 18 sweep
7. Plays 31 Trap, 16 Power, 43 Counter , 47 sweep

C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold

Coaches,

I am seeking opinions  on how to attack and neutralized aggressive DEs. He is probably the quickest I have ever seen at the youth level. Constraints are that I am dealing with limited qb arm to expose on the 16P  and 18 sweep pass. The RE and Mike Backer are probably two most athletic in the league. I know the manual says sweep vs crashing ends, but how can we work on it with the Playside RE and RCB being aggressive and redirect pretty fast.

M           
      L            L
.o.o.x.o.o.o.o
            3        ..4

Ideas are the
4. Cheat 3 back over
6. Omaha 18 sweep

Coach,

If the alignment is correct, the mid count is telling you to run left away from the aggressive RE and CB.  If you still wanted to run right, the edge count (2.5) is telling you to run inside them and not try the sweep.  With that said, you could run 16 Power with Wing On which should act as a nasty split, but still have the RE helping the PT with the double team.  I would also combine Omaha to move the CB out and the #2 closer to his block.  This will also make it hit a little quicker as well.  So I would go with "Omaha 16 Power On".

I still think your first option though is to attack the left side where you have numbers.  A couple of simple formations that have worked well for our 7U team has been what we call Wing which just simply moves the wing to the left side.

LE RG C RG T PT RE
4                    3
              1 2

From here we can run 27 Sweep, 23 Power, 32 Wedge, and 22 Wedge.  We have combined it with Omaha as well:

LE RG C RG T PT RE
4                    3                                    2

From here we have had some success with 13 Power and you can still run 16 Power and 32 Wedge. 

Also have used what we call Flop where we flip the backs:

LE RG C RG T PT RE
4      3           
              2 1

From here we can run 17 Sweep, 13 Power "No Pull", 17 Sweep Pass, and 12 Wedge.

We have also combined Flop with what we call Lincoln which is just Omaha to the left:

LE RG C RG T PT RE
                      4      3           
  2                                1

The idea for all of these formation adjustments were to take advantage of numbers to the left without always having to rely on the #4.  I hope this makes sense and provides some value for you.

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Coach,

If the alignment is correct, the mid count is telling you to run left away from the aggressive RE and CB.  If you still wanted to run right, the edge count (2.5) is telling you to run inside them and not try the sweep. 

I don't know the SW but this is how we attack it with success. The DE play is critical for our Defense to operate. Probably the most important player on the D is at the DE spot and Mike. If they play DE like we do Sweep is not the answer to that side the corner and Mike should have it covered.

DE playing as you say is like a corner that plays aggressive. The one thing you need for an aggressive corner is help over top or outside. DE is a lot like that with the Defense you have stated. They are allowed to be aggressive because the coach has accounted for the sweep.
The DE in our defense is a force player and he will close the C gap even if it means taking on the BB or pulling guard behind the C gap.

They are special players as their assignment changes as the play is going on. I would run away from the numbers
Flip alignment and see if he moves if he does move to long side and you have to sweep right for some reason then sweep short side, which is actually better anyway.

Good luck

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
CoachAD
(@coachad)
Silver

Coaches,

M           
      L            L
.o.o.x.o.o.o.o
            3        ..4

Ideas are the
4. Cheat 3 back over
6. Omaha 18 sweep

This is WAY late BUT the simplest way to neutralize the RE and CB would be to run "flip".  From there you may have to call "cross" to slow him down but you should be able to run your whole playbook.  When/if the defense adjusts, go back to normal alignment.

ReplyQuote
Share: