archer
(@archer)
Bronze
September 27, 2019 10:28 am  

jsdadx2
(@jsdadx2)
Copper
September 27, 2019 6:51 pm  

Just a question, but is it really single wing or shotgun double wing?

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 28, 2019 6:35 am  

Looks like Murphs SGDW to me.

ReplyQuote
archer
(@archer)
Bronze
September 28, 2019 1:30 pm  

You guys are probably right on that.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 28, 2019 5:29 pm  

Looks like Murphs SGDW to me.

It probably is.  We have a conference opponent down the line who runs this same offense at the HS level.  It has to be something they've picked up from somebody's materials.

ReplyQuote
Bill03
(@bill03)
Copper
AC
September 28, 2019 6:54 pm  

It is Tim Murphy offense.  And they do a nice job with it.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 28, 2019 7:58 pm  

Shotgun wing T.  Look at how each play starts: with a blind snap to a back standing in place.

And you can't call it double wing when there's only one wing!  At least in the first two series, which were all I watched.

ReplyQuote
archer
(@archer)
Bronze
September 29, 2019 5:22 am  

Shotgun wing T.  Look at how each play starts: with a blind snap to a back standing in place.

And you can't call it double wing when there's only one wing!  At least in the first two series, which were all I watched.

Funny how we can't even agree. I called it Single Wing due to 1 WB and a sniffer back. I wouldn't have thought to call it SGWT due to position of the sniffer back. so much of the WT relies on the FB.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
September 29, 2019 6:07 am  

Funny how we can't even agree. I called it Single Wing due to 1 WB and a sniffer back. I wouldn't have thought to call it SGWT due to position of the sniffer back. so much of the WT relies on the FB.

It does indeed.  But if you started with wing T and moved the QB back to approximately where he does his ballhandling, where would you put the FB?  You can't use him for trap, at least not in the usual way, so you might as well put him where he's still useful as a power back, i.e. blocking back.  Actually from there you could use him as a trap runner in the manner they do in single wing now, i.e. snapping the ball to him and having him delay a count.  But mostly you'd think about trapping with him rather than for him.

ReplyQuote
G8trs
(@g8trs)
Copper
September 29, 2019 6:44 am  

"It has to be something they've picked up from somebody's materials"

Definitely Murphy's materials. He does Glazier clinics across the nation teaching his SGDW. If multiple teams are running it and the source they learned it from calls it SGDW. I think we should give Murphy his respect and call it whatever he wants. I ran his system for 2 season and had great success. Solid system, solid materials and Murphy is as good as it gets.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 29, 2019 4:29 pm  

Murphy's "shotgun double wing" stuff is a misnomer because it's not actually ran from a base double wing formation.

He took the double wing offense and put it in the shotgun by moving the QB back, sliding the sniffer FB up to a sniffer blocking back position, and rolling the WB on the opposite side back into a TB position.  He runs power, counter, wedge, and a few different sweeps from there.  He was already a pretty big "Double Wing Guru" when he did this and he claims the main reason was to better feature a stud TB.

It's technically closest to a shotgun Wing-T (pretty sure they will direct snap to the BB on wedge--our upcoming opponent does), but it's philosophically more aligned with a Single Wing or Double Wing.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 29, 2019 4:32 pm  

It does indeed.  But if you started with wing T and moved the QB back to approximately where he does his ballhandling, where would you put the FB?  You can't use him for trap, at least not in the usual way, so you might as well put him where he's still useful as a power back, i.e. blocking back.  Actually from there you could use him as a trap runner in the manner they do in single wing now, i.e. snapping the ball to him and having him delay a count.  But mostly you'd think about trapping with him rather than for him.

When I coached in a "shotgun wing-t" offense, we didn't always use a FB.  With the QB backed up to that depth, he replaced the FB on the core Wing-T stuff like Trap, Belly, and Down.  That allowed us to put the usual FB-type body at WB, where he could really block down and wrap on counters to the opposite side while we'd use the faster QB for counters and misdirection off the base buck series stuff.  We'd also move the FB around to different places in the backfield to block on stuff like Iso, Power, and Toss Sweep.

ReplyQuote
archer
(@archer)
Bronze
September 29, 2019 5:33 pm  

Definitely seems more related to SW/DW. This team is foot to foot. Power, sweep, counter. Did run wedge. 

Shotgun or under center, most Wing T teams use pretty wide splits and back linemen back off the ball. Just fits the system, like tighter/no splits fits DW/SW. Playing football in a phone booth.

ReplyQuote
Share: