Notifications
Clear all

Backside Guard pull on Power

Page 2 / 2

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

No, but if a kid tells me he doesnt want to play center in the 6th grade, do you force him?
Some of these kids cry if you look at them the wrong way.

No, but I am not going to let him start anywhere else either. He especially would not play at a ball handling position. I have found that almost all kids will choose to start at a position they might not like over riding the bench. Forcing a kid to do anything is wrong. They have choices and those choices have consequences. Some good, some bad.
One of the things we always talked about in our mandatory preseason parents meeting is about players positions. Any kid can try out for any position but it is ultimately up to the coaches to put each kid at a position that they can contribute and where they most help the team. Players and parents that have issue with that need not sign up. There are always a few who don't get it and test us to see if we are serious. It sounds harsh but it teaches kids that the team is more important than any one player and that sacrifices have to be made to succeed.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Yes my backup became the starter but was unfortunately a first year player..Then my backup was lost for the year 3 games in.
Was a FN nightmare.

We had one year that we thought we were going to make another run at nationals. By the end of the season we were missing 6 starters, 4 of which were 2 way players. Our fb(we ran dw and sw) was third string as was our mlb. We ended up losing to the eventual nat. champs in our conference title game. Very disappointing year but it taught us a bunch of important lessons.

ReplyQuote
pittpete
(@pittpete)
Copper

No way our kids tell the coaches what to do.
He ended up going to backup PSG until our starter got hurt.

Injuries can definitely kill a season, especially with a small roster

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: