Notifications

Balanced Single Wing and Flipping in the Single Wing  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

COACHDAVIS79
(@coachdavis79)
Bronze
August 30, 2016 3:50 pm  

I haven't coached in a couple of years and at one time was interested in running the Single Wing but never went through with it.
Next year I will be getting back into coaching and was looking into learning the Single Wing.  I want to know how many coaches go balance vs unbalanced and how many coaches flip their single wing.  I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of going balanced and flipping.  Just want some thoughts. 
I'm having football withdrawals so I'm starting early to learn and get ready lol. 

Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
August 30, 2016 5:28 pm  

I would suggest getting on the Single Wing Delphi forums and then join the Vimeo sight. Tons of video to help you learn the SW. Many different ways to run it and you can see them in action if you join the Vimeo sight, I believe it was $40.00 for a year's access.

ReplyQuote
JrTitan
(@jrtitan)
Gold
August 30, 2016 5:36 pm  

I haven't coached in a couple of years and at one time was interested in running the Single Wing but never went through with it.
Next year I will be getting back into coaching and was looking into learning the Single Wing.  I want to know how many coaches go balance vs unbalanced and how many coaches flip their single wing.  I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of going balanced and flipping.  Just want some thoughts. 
I'm having football withdrawals so I'm starting early to learn and get ready lol.

I did not run the single wing, but I am a big proponent of flipping the line strong/weak (we called it quick). Puts a premium on being balanced - i.e., can attack any hole from the same formation.  Reduces install time and allows you expand the playbook.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons""You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

ReplyQuote
cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze
August 30, 2016 5:57 pm  

What age group and how experienced are they?

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

ReplyQuote
cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze
August 30, 2016 5:59 pm  

A huge advantage for us is that we've had 1 team each year recognize we are unbalanced and shift over. This is a huge advantage for us 7/8 of the games we play

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
August 30, 2016 7:04 pm  

All the teams we play know we are unbalanced right- when we flip, they flip
It give us zero advantage- so we dont do it

Why? My guys on the left step right and my guys on the right step left. I dont want to mess with their heads
When you flip they think too much- NOT a fan at all-

Only time we flip? When we play in tournaments where no one knows us.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
COACHDAVIS79
(@coachdavis79)
Bronze
August 30, 2016 7:40 pm  

What age group and how experienced are they?

I won't know. More then likely I will be coaching in the C division. We have A, B and C divisions playing against teams of equal talent.  So I will have 9-11's. Usually there is 2-3 kids that have speed and are your best players. The players in your C division are the players with minimal to no experience.

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
August 31, 2016 1:21 am  

I put in flip this year and have had success with it with a team of mostly 10-11 year olds. At first it threw them off but all I did was remind them that the blocking rules didn't change just where the ball is and they execute fine.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 31, 2016 2:49 am  

We ran a very fast hurry up so when we were experimenting with flipping we could occasionally catch teams flipping their defense. Well coached teams will flip with you for the most part. The others you won't need it so our conclusion was it wasn't worth our effort. We only ran wedge, 16 and 18 from flip because it was like reinstalling the offense. As far as balanced, it works fine but it is a different offense. Very similar but not the same. You should be able to catch people not shifted to strength if you change back and forth between the two but I don't think that in and of itself would be worth the effort. The team I am with this season is running a direct snap offense very similar to a balanced sw with 2x1 receivers. Think Auburns gap scheme stuff. Power, ISO, trap, wham, counter, wedge, sweep, to include it all off jet with a nice passing game. Nice little offense really but it is the sw at its core. My OC doesn't like to hear that but it is what it is.

ReplyQuote
cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze
August 31, 2016 3:41 am  

If you go balanced and don't flip, then you have to have 2 pulling guards.  It doesn't sound like that will happen with your team. 

I don't see much benefit for balanced.

If you are going unbalanced, I don't see much benefit in flipping.  The D will know which way you are mostly running.  In the base plays (sainted six) the only one that is helped by flipping imo is sweep.  we run power about 3-4 times more than sweep, so there just isn't a big benefit that I can see. 

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond
August 31, 2016 3:53 am  

There seems to be an assumption that the defense has a strong side as well, and will flip personnel based on that. Is that common?  I have not found that to be the case the vast majority of the games we've played. We might see field/boundary changes, but we rarely see the D flip to personnel. More commonly the D just sets up and while they may adjust to our formation, they won't flip personnel from one side to the other. We have had games where power left worked better than power right (for example) because the defensive  personnel was weaker to our left.

In fact, in 12 years, I've only seen one defense flip strong/weak, it was a Calande 46 Gambler. They were very good, too. But honestly, if we had to play them late in the season, I'd have ramped up how fast our O was going to prevent them from being able to flip, or catch them while they were lining up. They might have had the talent to beat us anyway, LOL, but we would have forced them to do something they weren't used to doing.

We have a full slate of plays that go both strong and weak, so theoretically we don't need to flip.  But we do - I just believe that certain plays give us better leverage to do certain things.  While I have good plays that go off tackle weak, they don't have the same blocking leverage as our power/blast strong.

Ultimately, you gotta play and coach to your schedule. If everyone flipped their D strong/weak and was able to read our formation, then I might think differently. Then again, maybe not.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 31, 2016 9:06 am  

I don't think the defense flips strength in youth, I think the point is to try and catch them overshifted away from the unbalanced side when you flip. The only way we ever had that happen against good teams was when we are in hurry up and the aligned before we did.

ReplyQuote
StormCoach
(@stormcoach)
Bronze
August 31, 2016 9:11 am  

We are running balanced line single wing and we flip our line.  Our first game our opponents really didn't seem to care when we flipped.  We won 42-8.  I feel like our power hits a little quicker,  and I feel like wedge is much easier to teach out of balanced.

“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." ” ― Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
cool hand luke
(@cool-hand-luke)
Bronze
August 31, 2016 9:32 am  

How is wedge easier to teach out of balanced? 

Wedge is a huge reason to not go balanced Imo

My biggest struggle with wedge is getting it formed quickly enough

If your balanced the center has to snap then step forward vs the rg .  The center has to be slower forming the wedge if he's on point

Is your center not moving at all till the wedge forms?

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
August 31, 2016 9:38 am  

How is wedge easier to teach out of balanced? 

Wedge is a huge reason to not go balanced Imo

My biggest struggle with wedge is getting it formed quickly enough

If your balanced the center has to snap then step forward vs the rg .  The center has to be slower forming the wedge if he's on point

Is your center not moving at all till the wedge forms?

In a balanced wedge with the center as apex, his footwork is easier. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: