Clear all

DCSW 16 Power question

Page 1 / 2

CW
 CW
(@_cw_)
Copper
Topic starter  

Hey guys, quick question. I have sent this to Dave a few times but I think it keeps falling through the cracks.
I coach 7-9 yrs olds. In our league the defense is only allowed 4 down linemen and they must be head up,  and no one can line up directly over the center. Also there is no blitzing allowed, so typically we will have a D lineman over each guard and then one over the LE and RE, then they typically have 4 Lb's with the two outside one's 1 yrd deep and 1 yrd the outside of the DE.  Hope I explained this good enough, its basically a 44 defense with no blitzs.

Against this defense, I know you want to Wedge them to death! 🙂

Facing this D we have had good success with all plays, but this yr I really want to put a emphasis on dominating with the 16 power. So to my question, who blocks who in the 16 Power, specifically if the Right End has someone head up on him, do we reach block this and send the WB back to double team the DE? Or do we let the DE go to be kicked out by the BB, not sure if we should do this because there is only one other D linemen on this side of the center ty[ically? Last yr we would reach blocked the DE and if it was a stud DE, I would have the WB double team him and I had my BB kick out the OLB. But with this I noticed it was hard to clear the 6 hole an sometimes it stretched the play out a little wide. And the OLB never really stepped up forward to help create a great kick out block, he would dance around in open space and cause congestion in the hole.
Aslo if we let the DE go to create the kick oout block by the BB, our RE would be going up and looking for MLB, not sure how this match up would work for us, trying to seal the 6 hole.

hope I explain this well enough. Please let me know, how you would block this.

thanks
CW

Chris K
(@chris-k)
Silver

Are you using GOD blocking?

I would leave the DE alone for the Kick and send my Lineman to the backer. even if he does not get a great block it is still effective as long as the RB is on his horse.

Chris

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”- Jerry Rice

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Not sure if you can/want to teach the power tackle GOD adjusent to a 7/9 year old but if you do, tell your PT that his D stands for double team. No one in his inside gap or on his neighbor, then he blocks out and forms double team with the RE on the DT head up on him.

Or

Run 14 power and kick out the DT and have your RE go get in way of  1st backer inside (FBI) or form a triple team by blocking down. Leave the DE alone.

Or

Run coach C-robs 24 seam. ( that would be my choice)

Todd

Todd

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

If the only other dlineman besides the de is head up over the guard send the power tackle to the FBI IF the right tackle can handle the one on one(he should as it is a down block). The defensive alignment as described may be the best you can hope for to run this offense.  😉 That being said, we don't GOD block all fronts so that is how we would do it as it fits our rules. I know Dave used to use a nasty/tunnel against this type of formation(I won't speak for what e would do now). No one inside the re with the widened DE is perfect for nasty/tunnel.

During season Dave spends alot less time on this board and Delphi. I think your best bet is to post on here and Delphi SW forum as he has a good track record of getting those questions asked.

ReplyQuote
CW
 CW
(@_cw_)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,
We are blocking GOD. Here is how looks.

S                   
            OlB.            B.        B.      OLB.         
cb                  X. X.    X.      X.                cb
                      O O  X O O O O
                                  O.        O
                            OO

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver

I would look to run 24 seam. That's a nice bubble in there.  But if you want 16 then nasty spilt and tunnel call is what I would try.

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Either should work. Like I said, that is a horrible defense alignment against the dw. They are giving you what you want.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Thanks guys,
We are blocking GOD. Here is how looks.

S                   
            OlB.            B.        B.      OLB.         
cb                  X. X.    X.      X.                cb
                      O O  X O O O O
                                  O.        O
                            OO

If you want to drive home the 16 power I agree with PSLCOACHROB then go 16 power nasty tunnel versus that alignment. You can also G Block it and install the GAP on Double team rule for the power tackle. Finally I agree with PSLCOACHROB run 24 seam. It is a beautiful play. Hits fast and gains yards.

Todd

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

So we all agree.  😀 I still prefer my original of blocking it GOB with a nasty split but I know most(almost all) people running this system GOD block. Wedge may be the best play against this front(if you want to call it that).

ReplyQuote
CW
 CW
(@_cw_)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks for the diagrams, I assume the 1,2,3,4 backs all run 16 power normal on these?

The "Nasty" is something I need to take advantage of a lot more.

We have are jamboree in two weeks, what plays would you guys call. Some or all of the sainted 6? I don't want to give away to much info.

As always thanks for the insight!

CW

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Yes. 1-4 will run their normal paths.

Run what your midline and edge counts dictate. Use it as practice for you an your staff to work on substitutions and play calling speed. You can't hide what you run so concentrate on taking what the defense is giving.

Todd

ReplyQuote
CW
 CW
(@_cw_)
Copper
Topic starter  

Ok, this might show how inexperienced I might be as a Coach, but can you explain the midline and edge counts? How and why? I assume for midline you draw a line through the center and count the D vs the O and run where you have the advantage. Can you explain more in detail and how to exploit this better?

CW

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Edge count is the bodies outside of your ends, if 3 or higher do not run sweep to that side. If 2 or less, sweep away.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

Ok, this might show how inexperienced I might be as a Coach, but can you explain the midline and edge counts? How and why? I assume for midline you draw a line through the center and count the D vs the O and run where you have the advantage. Can you explain more in detail and how to exploit this better?

CW

Your midline for the unbalanced line is your right guard. count bodies to the left and right of your guard. head up and inline with the guard counts a 1/2. Thus, a balanced D will have 5.5 each side. Often times as the year progresses, teams will move the safety over and down and the d-line over a gap. You end with 7 to the right and 4 to the left. Run left.  Just a nice framework to get you used to looking at the defense instead of your playcard.

Todd

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

Hey guys, quick question. I have sent this to Dave a few times but I think it keeps falling through the cracks.
I coach 7-9 yrs olds. In our league the defense is only allowed 4 down linemen and they must be head up,  and no one can line up directly over the center. Also there is no blitzing allowed, so typically we will have a D lineman over each guard and then one over the LE and RE, then they typically have 4 Lb's with the two outside one's 1 yrd deep and 1 yrd the outside of the DE.  Hope I explained this good enough, its basically a 44 defense with no blitzs.

Against this defense, I know you want to Wedge them to death! 🙂

Facing this D we have had good success with all plays, but this yr I really want to put a emphasis on dominating with the 16 power. So to my question, who blocks who in the 16 Power, specifically if the Right End has someone head up on him, do we reach block this and send the WB back to double team the DE? Or do we let the DE go to be kicked out by the BB, not sure if we should do this because there is only one other D linemen on this side of the center ty[ically? Last yr we would reach blocked the DE and if it was a stud DE, I would have the WB double team him and I had my BB kick out the OLB. But with this I noticed it was hard to clear the 6 hole an sometimes it stretched the play out a little wide. And the OLB never really stepped up forward to help create a great kick out block, he would dance around in open space and cause congestion in the hole.
Aslo if we let the DE go to create the kick oout block by the BB, our RE would be going up and looking for MLB, not sure how this match up would work for us, trying to seal the 6 hole.

hope I explain this well enough. Please let me know, how you would block this.

thanks
CW

WHEN we ran SW - the BIGGEST problem on the Power was a fast NOSE (on the Center) shooting into the hip pocket of the pulling Guard adjacent to the Center) & getting into the play (SEE ATTACHMENT #1).

We (like Charlie Caldwell at Princeton, & Dr. Ken Keuffel atr Wabash College & Lawrenceville Prep) SOLVED this by pulling the Inside Tackle instead (SEE ATTACHMENT #2).  The Center needs HELP!

NOTE:  When I coached at Division III Randolph-Macon College (late 1960's) = our (super-quick) NOSE made 27 tackles vs. Coach Majors' great Sewanee College SW (they pulled the guard next to the center), enabling us to stop them COLD (& win)!

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: