Notifications
Clear all

DCTW formations mixed into SW

mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Hi,

(Been lurking for a bit, so first time post....so many good coaches/info on this site.)

Was wondering if anyone has mixed some of the DCWT formations/motions into the SW and what type of results they had?  There was a post a few years back on the subject looking for thoughts and then it kind of died out.  ( http://www.dumcoach.com/clark-wilkins-single-wing-offense-for-bobbleheads/sw-formations/ )

I have run Coach Cisars SW for a couple years.  Last year I experimented (against a team we played twice) with moving the wing over once they started to overplay our strong side and ran a 25 pwr and 27 sweep.  It actually worked really well.

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Have you looked at Dave's advanced material?

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Yeah I have the 303 stuff.  We used most of the base adjustments/formations and some of the spread towards the end of the season but wish I was able to install the spread earlier.

Moving the wing over to the weak side was sort of my version of flip without moving lineman.  While we did do a version of 15/17 flip and shifted out of base into flip at the LOS, the defense easily adjusted.  I found that when we just moved the wing, the defense did not change.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Alright, so hopefully you are getting the base of your team back this year. If so the installation of the spread stuff can happen earlier. If not, you are one year better at coaching it so you will advance in what you can install. You're line of thinking is not an issue, the sw was run from all kinds of formations. I might suggest that you may be putting the cart before the horse. I can promise you that Dave's system is top notch and has answers for most of what a youth coach would see. Make sure you are a master of what you do before you move on to something new. I know we all want to install our mad scientist ideas. Dave's stuff works. Our mad scientist stuff may blow up in our faces.

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Totally agree, Dave's stuff is great and it works and I was hesitant for any experiments.  I found myself trying the wing over experiment because it was a cheap time investment and we wanted to attack the weak side out of something close to the base formation.  The 43 was OK but due to the level of scouting I think it became harder to run.  For the 47 we needed to run it out of double formation, and teams started to notice when we were in double it was either going weak side or up the middle.  And our 31 trap just wasn't a good play for us for a variety of reasons.  (BTW Dave's latest book changes the blocking a bit on 31 trap and I am psyched cause I think it is much better.....wish I had thought of it last year.)

I will say the thing I liked about the wing over and running 25/27 is that 16 pwr was still a threat with the level adjustment if the def front allowed.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

If moving the wing over works for you then by all means use it. One of things we liked to do when teams over shifted or even just shifted to strength was to run the line balanced. I promise you that almost no youth team will notice it. The players will almost never see it and the coaches probably won't see it until it is too late. Especially if your formation is closer to your hash.

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

When did you go to a balanced line?  A shift at LOS?  Out of a huddle?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We never huddled. We used wristbands for all of our plays so it was easy. Once we noticed a team was over playing the strong side we would just start calling the plays from our balanced series. This is something I wouldn't mess around with until later in the year. Wristbands makes it much easier as the kids don't have to remember anything.

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Same here wrt wristbands and never huddling.  When we ran our version of flip for a playoff game, we moved our RE and PT over to the left side and flipped 1 and 2 backs at the LOS after I called the play.  When we did this, it was pretty obvious what we were doing.  If we were to do this version of flip again, I won't do it again from the LOS but probably start s series off with it.

To go balanced, who did you move?

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold

Same here wrt wristbands and never huddling.  When we ran our version of flip for a playoff game, we moved our RE and PT over to the left side and flipped 1 and 2 backs at the LOS after I called the play.  When we did this, it was pretty obvious what we were doing.  If we were to do this version of flip again, I won't do it again from the LOS but probably start s series off with it.

What has worked well for us when we run Flip is to actually "flip" on "Shift" in our cadence.  While some teams have adjusted they tend to just slide over one gap when they actually need to slide over 2.  Your mileage may vary, but it has worked well for us:

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We played around with who we moved. Honestly, it varied from year to year based on personnel. It was not based on position.

ReplyQuote
Share: