Notifications

First Time Running Dave's SW - Any Thoughts, Tips, Video Clips of the Offense???  

RSS

COACHDAVIS79
(@coachdavis79)
Bronze
August 1, 2019 11:31 am  

Well I Purchased the step by step plan book last night in PDF form and have been reading it every since. We start on Monday so this weekend is my study time the whole weekend. I'm excited and nervous about this upcoming season.  Any Tips. Thoughts, Ideas, Videos clips you would like to share I'm all ears. Thanks Coaches

Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
August 1, 2019 6:11 pm  

Follow the step by step guide, then ask questions if there's something you don't understand or you can't picture. I've run it for a bunch of year so I know it pretty well.

First thing that comes to mind, don't underestimate how well a properly coached, practiced and run wedge can do, and also the time and dedication it takes to get it to that point.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
August 3, 2019 1:55 am  

Coach,

I've been running it for a while and feel very comfortable with it.  If there is anything I can help with feel free to PM me. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
August 3, 2019 8:46 am  

I Purchased the step by step plan book last night in PDF form and have been reading it every since. We start on Monday so this weekend is my study time the whole weekend. I'm excited and nervous about this upcoming season.  Any Tips.

Yes.  Don’t wait until a week before the season to start learning a scheme.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
August 3, 2019 9:10 am  

Well I Purchased the step by step plan book last night in PDF form and have been reading it every since. We start on Monday so this weekend is my study time the whole weekend. I'm excited and nervous about this upcoming season.  Any Tips. Thoughts, Ideas, Videos clips you would like to share I'm all ears. Thanks Coaches

The only advice I would have is if you have any trouble with the wedge to post something in the forum about it. A saw a couple of coaches in a different thread offer to help with it...

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
kajara
(@kajara)
Lurker
August 6, 2019 11:30 am  

If I were to give any advice, I would follow the plan word for word, first!!!  Then "attempt" modifications to the plan only for easier teaching.

Like the wedge.  When teaching, tell the kids (blockers) to "hear the ball" (like Hulk Hogan's hand over his ear) and "put that ear to your teammates hip" step and push together.  They will get a better fit into the wedge block, they automatically stay low while indirectly showing them inside vs. outside blocking. They will get into the wedge within 5 minutes--this was 6U

When the RG and FB are pulling through the hole on Power, try and hold hands around and into the 6 hole, and this helps with downfield blocking by not attacking the same player.

Little things like that, more reference/landmarks for the kids while keeping the foundations of the single wing in tact.

So, the formula is:
If I add this, do I still maintain the core function while helping to gain something new.

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
August 6, 2019 12:20 pm  

My advice is go to this forum for SW, not here

http://forums.delphiforums.com/singlewing

ReplyQuote
Coach Ken
(@coach-ken)
Copper
September 19, 2019 6:57 am  

If you purchased the book - get the DVD's as well. If the old adage, a picture is worth a 1000 words, the video really puts the book into perspective. It has drills, clips, coaching points etc. I have run his system almost 5 years now and I have added some of my own flavor and ideas from other SW and DW systems but...and this is a big one....if its your 1st time running it - follow the script. Perfect the Sainted 6. Don't try and remix it - don't let assistants try and remix it - follow the plan. Once your proficient, then you can slowly add tags and new plays etc - I lost a lot of time trying to make other coaches happy in the beginning by doing little things that made them feel better. "Widen your splits, shoot your hands, you gotta spread out a little", etc - and it all just set us back. Get install and offensive line DVD's - start there

“A system should never reduce the game to the point where it simply blames the players for failure because they did not physically overwhelm the opponent.” - Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 20, 2019 7:22 am  

I lost a lot of time trying to make other coaches happy in the beginning by doing little things that made them feel better. "Widen your splits, shoot your hands, you gotta spread out a little", etc - and it all just set us back.

Wise words, Coach Ken.  I still see this, all the time.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Martinez
(@emartinez)
Copper
September 21, 2019 3:48 pm  

If you purchased the book - get the DVD's as well. If the old adage, a picture is worth a 1000 words, the video really puts the book into perspective. It has drills, clips, coaching points etc. I have run his system almost 5 years now and I have added some of my own flavor and ideas from other SW and DW systems but...and this is a big one....if its your 1st time running it - follow the script. Perfect the Sainted 6. Don't try and remix it - don't let assistants try and remix it - follow the plan. Once your proficient, then you can slowly add tags and new plays etc - I lost a lot of time trying to make other coaches happy in the beginning by doing little things that made them feel better. "Widen your splits, shoot your hands, you gotta spread out a little", etc - and it all just set us back. Get install and offensive line DVD's - start there

This man hit the nail on the head. The dvds have game film on them and you can see it being done rather than reading it.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
September 26, 2019 2:09 pm  

This man hit the nail on the head. The dvds have game film on them and you can see it being done rather than reading it.

Definitely. I do remember a couple things that I just simply imagined in my head differently based on the text than how they actually looked in game film or in drills. I think the spinner action was one of them.

ReplyQuote
Share: