Notifications

How easy to crab a shade to snapper's dominant hand side?  

RSS

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
April 15, 2020 11:41 am  

As I've explained elsewhere, I'm suggesting to the other coaches on my team that we adopt in our otherwise wing T system a little bit of single wing, by snapping thru our QB's legs.  The basic play of that series is diagrammed here.  I've been thinking about the tradeoffs in ways to block this.

Our center, Timmy, has no trouble crabbing a nose to either side of him.  But we haven't tried it against a shade, nor while throwing the snap.  I know Dave Cisar has his snapper routinely crabbing toward the strong side, usually the right (and most snappers are right-handed, as is Timmy), but I know the body mechanics are difficult doing that because of our cerebellar programming.  On the plus side for the footwork, the snapper's head would be up; he'd be snapping blind.

Meanwhile we've not been able to get our back side guard around effectively on our sweeps and powers (buck sweep, belly sweep), much to the display of the coach of the high school's freshman team, because of how much he knows the back side puller would contribute to the play.  If we were to snap the ball to the halfback as shown with a slight start in motion, then for sure the back side guard's not going to get in front of the play -- double especially with the runner heading directly for the hole, instead of cutting to it after threatening to go wide.

However, if the back side guard releases in front for a cutoff block, then it gives away that it's not a pass play (which I'd like to preserve the illusion of), and if the center can't handle a shade by crabbing, then the blockers I have available on that side are the QB, FB, G, and T.  I don't want to sacrifice the power by having any of those players but the QB block, and considering our QB is a typical wing T type, I don't think most of the coaches would be happy having him pick up the nose; it'll be hard enough selling them on this general idea.

So what I was left with is what I've diagrammed, which I know was used classically by single wing teams: the back side puller as a "seal" blocker.  In this case he'd do a couple of deep bucket steps to get around the midline, and then do whatever he had to to cut off that shade from penetrating into the runner's path.

However, none of that would be necessary if the snapper can crab effectively in that direction.  It would have to be done without as many practice reps as single wing teams would have devoted to it, because it wouldn't be as frequent a play for us.  My fear is an adrenaline snap when the snapper tenses up to have to do an unusually quick move, threatening to fire the ball hard past the HB.  So how easy is it, and how badly does it affect his snapping?

I'd also like to punish the defense's playing over like that by installing a quick FB run on the back side of that with the ball snapped to him.  It should hit faster than the 126 Keep I've diagrammed and described in the Wing T section.

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Bob Goodman

Share: