Notifications
Clear all

Need Help First Year Running the Dave C SW

CoachJCJR
(@coachjcjr)
Copper
Topic starter  

Coaches,
I played my first practice game running the SW. Let's say it was not a good showing. I am have some serious center problems. He would give me a good snap to only follow by 2 bad snaps. I have two centers and the one behind him is not better. He does the same and on top of that he is to slow to block down.
My back kept trying to get outside instead of hitting the 6 hole. The O line did well in the jamboree but played like they were standing in quick sand Saturday. So any help you guys can give me will be helpfull.
Here is a list of questions I have and notice during the game:
- Center kept hiking to high. He was hitting the players face mask on some hikes. Any suggestions?
- I heard coaches, parents and players kept saying I am only running to one side. So I notice the defense loaded up on the side I was running and kept there best DE on the weak side. Any Suggestion?
- From watching the video, it appear that the hole was there but I notice my o-line was either not firing off the ball or the d-line was just to quick. It appeared that the d-line just flowed down the line with the play on the 16power. Any suggestion?
- Good note the 18 sweep work pretty good. So did the 18 sweep pass. We just missed the receiver on that play.
- DT kept shooting the A Gap on the pull side. I believe my Center is not crabbing down quick enough or my Tackle not down blocking quick enough. Any suggestion?
- 16 pass looks like it might work but I got one of my backs crushed by a cheap shot from the safety. I am thinking about getting him alittle deeper the next time. That may have been my fault do to the safety not following to the 16 power hard enough. Any suggestion?

Thanks coaches in advance for your help.
coach jcjr

JC
 JC
(@j_clint)
Copper

Sounds like your center needs lots and lots of reps.  Dave suggests getting the centers 120-200 snaps per practice.  Also, sounds like lots of rep work is needed with the OL getting off the ball quickly.  That can be taught and repped.  With respect to the A gap issues, if your kids just are good enough to cut off penetration, you may have to consider the "no" call to keep you RG at home.  All those issues sound to me like things that can be cleaned up in practice.  You might consider not installing any more plays until you get those issues resolved.

Finally, you might double check the depth of your backs.  If they are deeper than 2.5-3 yds, that could also be a cause of the issues. 

ReplyQuote
malo
 malo
(@malo)
Copper

This is my first year running this as well, and the great people here have given some of the best advise.  When I follow it, it fixes the problem.  One of the things that I went back and did was to cover the GOD blocking scheme again with every player.  Then we slowed practice down and walked some of the plays then dog bird, then run it half speed.  The point of it is that your kids need to block, if there is no block the plays will not work, so the key is to make sure every player knows their assignments.  As far as the snapping is concerned, we had this issue and were interchanging two players, the competition has them working harder and harder.  While there is a water break, an instruction that they are not a part of, have them snap to each other. 

Also, expect your players to do everything correctly every time, from the stance to their runs.  Run it till they do it correct, then run it again and again.  With this offense it is all REPs.  I also learned that once you have your base blocking schemes down, adding the other plays is just as easy.

We are still having issues with meshing on the wedge, but I know my kids will get it today.

Good Luck

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Try chaser drills to get you backs to run to the 6 hole. The centers position on the ball can effect the release and how high it goes. Have him do some work at home and get him to snap onto a pillow just barely getting it over the height of the pillow. His issue may be that he feels vulnerable and is trying to get the snap away quickly so he can protect himself. Make sure his guards are protecting him. Start training another kid to be center as sometimes it just takes a different kind of kid to play the position.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

Finally, you might double check the depth of your backs.  If they are deeper than 2.5-3 yds, that could also be a cause of the issues.

This. @ this depth it is hard to get off a snap that can't be handled.

Also check the stances of your Backs. I expect my backs to handle the occasional bad snap to the face mask. Make sure they are extending their hands a bit in front of their bodies, they get lazy and rest them on their thighs or too deep under the stance and they can't adjust to a snap if it doesn't hit them perfectly.

How fast is the Center snapping the ball? It should be soft enough that there is some drop to it. My center last year would gain confidence each week and then the snaps would be coming in way to fast, we'd correct then repeat the process in a couple of more weeks. Slow and Low.

ReplyQuote
Chris K
(@chris-k)
Silver

Coaches,
I played my first practice game running the SW. Let's say it was not a good showing. I am have some serious center problems. He would give me a good snap to only follow by 2 bad snaps. I have two centers and the one behind him is not better. He does the same and on top of that he is to slow to block down.
My back kept trying to get outside instead of hitting the 6 hole. The O line did well in the jamboree but played like they were standing in quick sand Saturday. So any help you guys can give me will be helpfull.
- Center kept hiking to high. He was hitting the players face mask on some hikes. Any suggestions?
    Is he raising his butt?
    Scooping the ball instead of keeping arm straight and brushing grass with knuckles and hitting inside of thigh.
    Ball not out front when he lines up
    could be worried about blocking. make sure he understands that his number 1 job is to snap the ball. thats it.

- I heard coaches, parents and players kept saying I am only running to one side. So I notice the defense loaded up on the side I was running and kept there best DE on the weak side. Any Suggestion?
    47 reverse
    Spinner 47
    31 trap

- From watching the video, it appear that the hole was there but I notice my o-line was either not firing off the ball or the d-line was just to quick. It appeared that the d-line just flowed down the line with the play on the 16power. Any suggestion?

If the hole was there the backs need to get there quicker. use chaser drills. and also have a coach stand in the back field behind the PT with hand shiled if the back tries to go outside him on 16 then the coach needs to give him a shot.
- Good note the 18 sweep work pretty good. So did the 18 sweep pass. We just missed the receiver on that play.
- DT kept shooting the A Gap on the pull side. I believe my Center is not crabbing down quick enough or my Tackle not down blocking quick enough. Any suggestion?

Tackle should be crabbing not center.

- 16 pass looks like it might work but I got one of my backs crushed by a cheap shot from the safety. I am thinking about getting him alittle deeper the next time. That may have been my fault do to the safety not following to the 16 power hard enough. Any suggestion?

coach jcjr

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”- Jerry Rice

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

Coaches,

coach jcjr

1) high snap usually stems from not bending legs enough - would check that first - assuming you selected the right kid for C.
2) run counter / trap
3) is the RB looping? chaser drill will tell you (as rob suggested)
4) sweep pass is a fairly easy hit with reps - just make sure you're teaching the QB footwork properly.
5) rep rep rep in practice. RT has to know 1st step is FLAT. also have a tag for the RG to not pull in certain situations.
6) why was it a "cheap shot?" was it after the play? and you said "one of my backs" but isn't 16 pass a pop to the TE? sorry, not following this one...

you're prob looking for dave personally but hopefully this helps a bit.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Unfortunately Dave doesn't post much in season.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze

Coaches,

coach jcjr

. If your following Dave's practice plan and center can't come 10 min early.  I'll have them snap for 10 min during angle form tackling.  Because we don't crab I have them snap , step and get head up all in one motion,  have a coach with a shield pop them as soon as head comes up.  Also during offensive Indy time we have centers work with backs during skeleton play running drills again with shield over them.
Also we preach sink their rear end look to target snap, 6" step right at 60 deg. To get head on right of nose guard and protect guard pull.

ReplyQuote
Share: