Clear all

New Team Old Wing need HELP

Page 1 / 2

CoachJCJR
(@coachjcjr)
Copper
Topic starter  

Coaches,
I am alittle nervous about the upcoming season. I left a park where I coach a team and went 5-3 2nd round into the playoffs. I was going to a team that went 7-1 and lost in the first round but elected to go back to my old park where they had an 1 - 7 season last year. When I was there years prior our avg lost was about 2 games per year. Now there has been a serious drop off.
I will be putting D.Cisar Singlewing to test with little to middle of the road talent. This will be my first time running this offense with this kind of talent and trying to compete. I've read the success stories from coaches turning a program around with the Single wing but will have my first hand experience at it this year. Plus not to mention my critics.  :-X

I plan on starting with the sainted Six with a few blocking adjustments and formations. (11-12yr olds) I will see if I can add on from there. I think I am going to have close to a 50 50 split between first year players and players with two or more years of playing football. Most of those experience players played last year for the first time.

My question to you all is have any of you gone through this and what are some do's and dont's.

Thanks,

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I think I am going to have close to a 50 50 split between first year players and players with two or more years of playing football. Most of those experience players played last year for the first time.

It probably doesn't make a difference to the big picture, but...those 2 sentences don't make sense together.

ReplyQuote
CoachJCJR
(@coachjcjr)
Copper
Topic starter  

It probably doesn't make a difference to the big picture, but...those 2 sentences don't make sense together.

Sorry about that coach. I was rushing trying to get my thoughts out real quick before my meeting. I should had proof read my message. My bad. Can you tell me what two sentence you were referring to so that I can clear it up.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Just answering the question, the SW can be a good equalizer especially against teams who don't see it often and fail to adjust to the UB line.

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

All I can tell you is stay the course. Stick to the schemes you decide on. Small playbook and work on fundamentals. You might find out that there is talent there but they just had rough coaching.

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Sorry about that coach. I was rushing trying to get my thoughts out real quick before my meeting. I should had proof read my message. My bad. Can you tell me what two sentence you were referring to so that I can clear it up.

The 2 sentences I quoted.  Which is it: 1 year experience or 2?

ReplyQuote
Coach56
(@coach56)
Bronze

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I left my current organization 3 seasons ago. We were always a final 4 team (out of about 10-11 teams). We have 1 varsity team for each of the 12 teams (just added a new team last year) and we can have countless JV teams.

My organization used to have about 3 JV teams (about 25 kids each team) + the Varsity (another 25) at the 7-8 and 9-10 yr old age groups. This year I'm sitting at about 25 kids for the 7-8 yr olds. I'm hoping to have another 10 sign up in the next 2 weeks so I can have a Varsity and a JV, but it's looking bad right now. Our league has rule a rule that states that each Varsity team must have at least 18 kids, and JV must have 17. I might be stuck with about 30 kids playing against every other team's select teams.

I've run the single wing for about 3 years now and I'm hoping I can level the playing field at least a bit and make the playoffs. I know I have 2-3 studs but 1 of them might be leaving to join another team in a different league because his parents didn't like what they seen last season. I can't really disagree with them, but if he stays I think I have a very good chance of making a run at everything. Otherwise I'm pretty much hoping just to start a good foundation this year to get some of the kids back.

ReplyQuote
CoachJCJR
(@coachjcjr)
Copper
Topic starter  

The 2 sentences I quoted.  Which is it: 1 year experience or 2?

Ok. This will be the second year for the majority of them. They are still very green. I already get alot of slack about this offense, they call it the (frog) offense. So I will feel the pressure to try to improve upon there record from last year which was 1 - 7.
So hey if I when two games that will be a 100% improvement, right. lol. I got to much pride for that coach.

ReplyQuote
Coach_O
(@rob_coach_o)
Gold

Ok. This will be the second year for the majority of them. They are still very green. I already get alot of slack about this offense, they call it the (frog) offense. So I will feel the pressure to try to improve upon there record from last year which was 1 - 7.
So hey if I when two games that will be a 100% improvement, right. lol. I got to much pride for that coach.

Stand the backs up, stop frogging.

Helmet Decals
http://Facebook.com/SportsLiveDecals

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Stick to your offense.  Learn everything you can about it, and work to perfect what you are doing.  You only "need" enough plays to attack the entire field, anything past that is just icing and fun.

We went 10-0.  Last season, completely dominated the league play and playoffs after i switch to the Single Wing.  I still get snickers from "more experienced" coach's of the older teams.

Your goal should be to put the kids in a system and position to maximize what they can do. 

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I want to go 10-0 and get Snickers. Sounds awesome!

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Snickers are good.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Coaches,
I am alittle nervous about the upcoming season. I left a park where I coach a team and went 5-3 2nd round into the playoffs. I was going to a team that went 7-1 and lost in the first round but elected to go back to my old park where they had an 1 - 7 season last year. When I was there years prior our avg lost was about 2 games per year. Now there has been a serious drop off.
I will be putting D.Cisar Singlewing to test with little to middle of the road talent. This will be my first time running this offense with this kind of talent and trying to compete. I've read the success stories from coaches turning a program around with the Single wing but will have my first hand experience at it this year. Plus not to mention my critics.  :-X

I plan on starting with the sainted Six with a few blocking adjustments and formations. (11-12yr olds) I will see if I can add on from there. I think I am going to have close to a 50 50 split between first year players and players with two or more years of playing football. Most of those experience players played last year for the first time.

My question to you all is have any of you gone through this and what are some do's and dont's.

Thanks,

They were 1-7
Run it right out of the box with no changes

There are reasons why we do what we do

It always depends on what you have as to what you put in after the base + 16 pass and 14 Power

Winning solves everything

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

Snickers are good.

Kinda typed myself into that one...LOL

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Kinda typed myself into that one...LOL

What? They are good.
We don't get the snickers anymore. Win enough and the ones snickering start copying you.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: