Notifications

Qb under center  

RSS

COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper
May 14, 2020 12:27 am  

How do you respond to not giving QB's any under center snaps being a disservice?

acsmith7062
(@acsmith7062)
Copper
Texas
3rd - 5th
Head Coach
May 14, 2020 1:33 am  

I don't think it is a "disservice" at all.  I coach an upcoming 5th grade team that has been playing tackle since 2nd grade.  We have always been a shotgun snap team.  This past season we put in an under center play and our QB and Center adjusted with only a couple of minutes of practice.  The QB's steps were not perfect, but the exchange was no problem at all (footwork is always harder).  QB footwork has to be perfected according to the offense that you run.    

-Chad

"You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."   O.A. "Bum" Phillips

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
May 14, 2020 4:07 am  
Posted by: @hawk2018

How do you respond to not giving QB's any under center snaps being a disservice?

I just explain that we really don’t have a QB and that lining up with a QB under center is not real football anyway.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 14, 2020 8:24 am  
Posted by: @hawk2018

There are all sorts of football skills that could be practiced, and each of the players could practice them.  Not only that, but how about all those kids looking on who never joined the club at all?  And all the players who did join had time taken away that could've been used to practice tennis or the piano.

And if you do practice hand-to-hands snaps, what about practicing it with the several different forms that are possible for both the snapper and the receiver of the ball?

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Bob Goodman

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
May 24, 2020 1:34 pm  

I would dispute that it's a "disservice". As a youth football player, I ran the Wishbone, Wing T, Pro, Veer, and Spread. Every year, I learned the different skills needed to run those offenses. When it was time to play JV football in 9th grade, I was ahead of many of the other kids (who ran Power I from age 6 to 13), because I'd learned a variety of different skills to execute those offenses successfully.

I usually go over this with parents at the beginning of every preseason. I tell them, "We're going to put all of the kids in position to be successful. That means that they might do things differently than they did a year ago. It also might mean that we do things a little bit differently than other teams do, such as lining up exclusively in shotgun or using shoe-to-shoe splits. But, rest assured, the kids will learn the skills that they need to be successful".

By being up front about it, I haven't had any issues.

Why did the person in question feel that it's a disservice?

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 26, 2020 9:33 am  

CoachDT,

FWIW, we're kinda the reverse...  we're always under Center, and get some criticism for not using shot-gun. 

We don't do a lot of formations / motions, or shot-gun, and we get put down for not 'teaching the kids anything' by other teams and coaches.  I'd say that's similar to the the 'disservice' attitude.   [FWIW, our own parents are generally pretty happy, but if we start losing, that could change in a hurry]

One of the silliest things we've been told is that we're supposed to be 'getting the kids ready to play Sr. League' (5th -6th grade).     No.  We're to teach the kids to play at our level.  The 7U have all they can handle getting the kids to play 7U ball.  We don't expect them to send us kids ready to play polished 3rd-4th grade ball.  We'll coach 'em to play age appropriate ball.  The 5th-6th grade coaches can teach them to play ball appropriate to their level.

We have reasons for staying under center, and figure the 5th - 6th grade coaches can teach shotgun if they like.... and the kids still have Jr. High ball, Frosh, JV to learn it, if the HS coaches want it.   Same for not being under Center.  If you're coaching youth league, the kids can learn to play under C at another level....  all that stuff can be added later. 

Way we see it, teach what you know, do what you believe in, teach an integrated system and don't sweat the peanut gallery.  

Hope this helps, 

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
May 26, 2020 10:29 am  

One particularly bad season, our starting Center's dad (an AC for us) quit the team and took his son with him 3 days before our first game. One of the reasons was that a local Varsity HC noticed the kid in a Summer camp and made a comment that the kid might be his starting C one day. Since we were UBSW, we weren't getting his son ready for HS football. These were 6th graders. Ironically, that local HS went to the Spread that year and 98% of their snaps were out of the gun. He went to another team where he got his 8 minimum plays at DT.

How did we respond?  No point in responding to a guy who has already made up his mind to that degree.

We've always snapped the ball differently than most, whether it's under C or direct. Over the years, we've had to coach against dads and other coaches who were new to our ways. We never made a big deal about it, we just insisted it be done our way. We always explained why we do it our way. For example, we don't rotate the ball because there's not enough room for a sideways ball to fit between little legs and little QB hands often have a hard time gripping the ball in the "standard" twist snap. We also have the C grip the ball by the point in a shotgun snap because it slows down the snap. A too short, too soft snap, while bad is 100 times better than a perfect spiral that whistles past or over the QB's head.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
May 28, 2020 11:04 am  

When I teach a QB to take under center snaps it takes me about 10 minutes. Half of that time is spent teaching the center what to do. If you really want to teach it to them, then you can do that. You could even run the under center beast formation play if you wanted to add an under center play. I think what that person may really be saying is that they want to play "real football". They would likely never have any objection if every snap was under center from the start. It would not be some disservice to never do shotgun snaps. 

As a coach I'm a little bit obligated to teach kids how to do certain things. I'm certainly obligated to teach them how to block and tackle properly and safely. This is because I want them to stay safe, but the reality is that they forget 90% of what they learned from last year. Take a group of kids and watch them in the playoffs last year and then compare that same group of kids to the first game of next year and you'll realize that they forget a whole bunch of stuff. And whose to say that the QB this year will be the QB next year? The most important thing I can do for the kids is to inspire a love for football and encourage them to continue to excel in physical fitness. 

This post was modified 5 days ago by Coach Kyle

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
May 28, 2020 11:23 am  
Posted by: @coach-kyle

but the reality is that they forget 90% of what they learned from last year

Spot on.   We've learned that about mid-season we need to go back to day 1 introductory drills, the kids need the reminders to keep from getting sloppy at the end of the season. 

that person may really be saying is that they want to play "real football"

We've some folk in our league who think what they see on TV Saturdays and Sundays is what we should be doing at our level, too.  Otherwise, we're "not teaching the kids anything".    <sigh>

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 28, 2020 3:05 pm  

I think what that person may really be saying is that they want to play "real football". They would likely never have any objection if every snap was under center from the start.

Head would probably explode, though, if you said OK, you'll add a hand-to-hands snap -- and then saw it was sidesaddle, and taken by another player while his "QB" was in position to take a shotgun or other thrown snap.

ReplyQuote
Share: