Notifications

Saw This on Facebook (As Did Some of You)  

RSS

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 2:56 pm  
Saw this today on Facebook:

"Our league has unique rules. Only 4 down linemen are allowed on defense, and every other player has to be at least 3 yards off the ball. We got blown out yesterday in our first game of the season 18-0, and it just seemed like their second level players were making all the plays. They ran a 4-4, and kept everything in front of them, with excellent contain. They plugged up our 6 hole with an overload every time we tried to run power, and the only thing that consistently worked was wedge...
I know our main issue was turnovers, as we had 4 to their 0, 2 of those turnovers coming inside the red zone. My concern after watching film is our linemen aren’t looking for anyone at the second level. Our pulling guard is doing a good job, but there is no kickout block for our blocking back because the DE crashes into our 6 hole and the DT crashes the 2 hole where the RG vacates, so we have essentially 5 guys blocking 2.
Starting to wonder if GOD blocking is not a good fit for our league."

--An 18-0 loss in youth ball is not a blow-out.  Not having seen the game, with teams usually getting an average of 8 possessions, the winning team scored 3 times meaning that they were probably stopped 5 times.  If you have the capability to stop your opponent MOST of the time, then you can probably play with them, from at least a talent standpoint.  The poster acknowledges that their main issue was turnovers and cites 2 turnovers within the Red Zone.  And with a -4 turnover ratio, he's fortunate the score wasn't worse.  Yet he's "Starting to wonder if GOD blocking is not a good fit for our league."  No questions regarding how to fix the fumbling issue.  His concern is the blocking scheme.  Then complains that he has 5 guys blocking 2.  I thought outnumbering the defense at the POA was what you wanted.  It's certainly what I want.  Mystified about how he sees things.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

rpatric liked
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 14, 2020 3:27 pm  

I told him to keep running wedge and he started with the excuses.  "I tried that. Our bigs got tired too quick."  I guess his O-line is taking a break when he calls any other play.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by 32wedge

rpatric liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 3:31 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

I told him to keep running wedge and he started with the excuses.  "I tried that. Our bigs got tired too quick."  I guess his O-line is taking a break when he calls any other play.

Lots of times when a coach claims there's a problem that needs fixing, it's really several problems that are all connected to their result.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
September 14, 2020 3:34 pm  

I replied to the guy before I even finished reading his post. As soon as he said he was dominated by a 40 front while running SW I knew he had no idea how to wedge. I did not see the part about a -4 turnover differential!!! That is where this guy needs to focus his efforts. If you can't make GOD blocking work that's a you problem, not an issue with the rules.

Complained about a 5 on 2 blocking advantage while running Power! HAHAHAHA!! We should all be so fortunate!

He also recognized the DE squatting or crashing the 6 hole, but had absolutely no idea what to do about it! SMH. Try a nasty split, log him and run sweep, run Blast inside of him. Do something dude!!! He should be thrilled he lost 18-0. A good team would have beat him 50-0. LOL

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 14, 2020 4:11 pm  

Saw this one, as well:

"Having issues with our snap, anyone with any advice or drills to help with this?? Thanks in advance..."

But he doesn't offer what the problems ARE, or even what kind of snap they're using.  Perhaps he thinks there's only one kind of problem, or one kind of snap.  But the number one answer seems to be "reps."  

So let me get this straight:  If I'm teaching a fundamental incorrectly, all I need to fix it is "reps."  Yessir, nothing like repping something incorrectly in order to fix it.  

For those who complain that there aren't many football discussions on here, I'd offer that these are the types of discussions we're better off without.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 15, 2020 1:28 pm  

@32wedge Was this in the Single Wing Nation Forum? I think I might have actually seen this post...

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 15, 2020 2:09 pm  

@terrypjohnson

It was.  I was willing to help the guy but he was making excuses and not listening to any of the coaching advice.

His team did not score and lost because they turned the ball over 4 times.  That was probably at least half of his total possessions.  He even said that 2 of the turnovers were in the red zone.  

He coached in a league that allowed no more than 4 players on the defensive line.  The other 7 defenders had to be at least 3 yards off the ball.  He decided the reason his "Dave Cisar UBSW" team didn't score was the Gap-On-Down blocking rule would not work in his league because the DE over his strong side was squeezing/crashing.  We all know that is a horse crap excuse.  I have been to 2 live Dave Cisar clinics and have purchased all his materials.  Dave Cisar explains exactly how to deal with crashing 9 technique DEs.  Some of the other coaches who replied covered the same adjustments that are in the book that this guy is supposedly using.

He said his wedge worked consistently.  Dave Cisar is very clear that he always wedges a 4 man defensive front relentlessly until they bring more linemen in there.  I suggested that he run wedge until he gets to the endzone.  He said he couldn't do that because his O-Line gets tired when they run wedge and he only has 14 players and no depth.  Cry me a river...  I have coached the past 2 seasons with between 13-17 players total.  I had 2 players last season play the whole season, offense, defense and special teams without ever coming off the field.  We never got shutout and no one gave us a vanilla 4 man line to run at.  

I wish the guy the best of luck but I predict a miserable season for that team.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 15, 2020 6:38 pm  

I suggested that he run wedge until he gets to the endzone.  He said he couldn't do that because his O-Line gets tired when they run wedge and he only has 14 players and no depth. 

And who's responsible for getting his linemen in shape?  The guy just doesn't want to take responsibility. 

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
September 16, 2020 9:16 am  
Posted by: @coachdp

I suggested that he run wedge until he gets to the endzone.  He said he couldn't do that because his O-Line gets tired when they run wedge and he only has 14 players and no depth. 

And who's responsible for getting his linemen in shape?  The guy just doesn't want too take responsibility. 

--Dave

Sounds like he needs to call you about the COD / Shark Tank! Thanks to that training, my group of 13 never got tired last year. Heck, I saw some of them playing pass and tap after an overtime game while I coached my flag kids 🙂

I really hate that I can't run wedge at 8U. Two years from now when my middle son moves up -- or if they let me coach two groups next year -- I'm installing it. I've only seen Coach Calande's video about teaching it a million times 😉

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 16, 2020 9:48 am  
Posted by: @terrypjohnson

Sounds like he needs to call you about the COD / Shark Tank! Thanks to that training, my group of 13 never got tired last year. 

Nor should they.  

It's just another example of a coach accepting the level of fill-in-the-blank (conditioning/fundamentals/physicality/intensity/speed) instead of coaching for the level of it that they want.  As for conditioning, they should be comfortable being uncomfortable.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: