Notifications

Single Wing  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Riverside Knights 252
(@riverside-knights-252)
Copper
July 10, 2019 6:25 pm  

With all of this spread noise going on... Are any coaches still running the single wing??

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 10, 2019 6:39 pm  

I still see it at the youth level.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
July 10, 2019 6:40 pm  

I did last year, will be mixing it up this year however.

Cisar's SW has a pretty darn good spread component to it as well.

ReplyQuote
Riverside Knights 252
(@riverside-knights-252)
Copper
July 10, 2019 6:42 pm  

I looking over some material in the winning youth football PDF... I see how some coaches just ran the sainted 6 and became very successful. I also read how you (Dave Potter) never played football and did not start coaching until you were in your 30's is that true??

ReplyQuote
Riverside Knights 252
(@riverside-knights-252)
Copper
July 10, 2019 6:45 pm  

I did last year, will be mixing it up this year however.

Cisar's SW has a pretty darn good spread component to it as well.

How did you do with it?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 10, 2019 6:59 pm  

I also read how you (Dave Potter) never played football and did not start coaching until you were in your 30's is that true??

I was 36.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Riverside Knights 252
(@riverside-knights-252)
Copper
July 10, 2019 7:03 pm  

I was 36.

--Dave

Wow coach you have inspired me... What was the first offense that you ran?

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 10, 2019 7:16 pm  

I ran it as my base offense last season and plan to again this year (I coach 8 and under). It's great for running wedge, power, sweep, and counter.

The only thing that I do a little differently is that I use a balanced line 90% of the time.

Are you thinking of switching to the Single Wing this year (didn't I read you had a lot of success with the I-Formation in the past)?

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Riverside Knights 252
(@riverside-knights-252)
Copper
July 10, 2019 7:19 pm  

I ran it as my base offense last season and plan to again this year (I coach 8 and under). It's great for running wedge, power, sweep, and counter.

The only thing that I do a little differently is that I use a balanced line 90% of the time.

Are you thinking of switching to the Single Wing this year (didn't I read you had a lot of success with the I-Formation in the past)?

Coach Terry

Yea , I did in the past, but i noticed some good things with the single wing.. Im coaching the 8u this year, so i wanted to make a change.. Im in a league were the coaches dont shift to the overload and LBS have to be one yard back..

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
July 10, 2019 7:33 pm  

Yea , I did in the past, but i noticed some good things with the single wing.. Im coaching the 8u this year, so i wanted to make a change.. Im in a league were the coaches dont shift to the overload and LBS have to be one yard back..

My league has rules like that, too. Specifically, there's no lining up / stunting to the A gap and anyone over a certain weight can't line up outside the tackles.

If teams don't shift to the overload, I really like your chances! Let me know if you want to compare notes sometime..

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 10, 2019 7:41 pm  

What was the first offense that you ran?

I was 36, with no kids, having never played and more importantly, never coached.  I answered an ad in the newspaper that was looking for volunteer youth football coaches.  I thought it might be fun and easy.  It was neither.  Yet, I found there was a need in our inner city and quite frankly was shocked to find out what kids were dealing with (single parent households, free/reduced lunch, poverty, gangs, etc.). It was eye-opening to say the least.  I served as an assistant my first two years, serving primarily as the washer of water bottles and uniforms.  (Not kidding.)  I was also responsible for calling parents the night before the game to remind them of game time/place.  That was about all I was allowed to do.  After all, I had never played...(Evidently having "played" gives you some sort of credibility.)

After 2 years of this treatment, I was given a team.  We were multiple.  Which is simply a way of saying that I cherry-picked plays that I liked, that I thought would work.  It was not a systematic scheme.  However, I was exposed to the Double Wing during my first year as an AC.  I didn't know what the offense was, but it ran over us like nothing I'd ever seen before.  I told myself that if I ever got a chance to be a HC, I would run "that offense with the two Wingbacks."  So when I became a header two years later, we were a "multiple" offense and running some Double Wing plays, eventually becoming a core Double Wing team as I continued to learn the offense, eventually completely phasing out any non-Double Wing aspects.

Finding Hugh Wyatt, and then being invited to speak at the Double Wing Symposiums helped advance my Double Wing knowledge.  However, of the 90-3 record that we accumulated from 2000-2010, we were a hybrid Double Wing team from 2000-2006 and an exclusively Double Wing team from 2007-2010.  We went exclusively Double Wing in 2007, primarily to simplify our blocking rules which were becoming far too extensive and complicated due to running the non-DW plays.  We were neither more, nor less successful as a hybrid-DW than as an exclusive-DW team.  However, at the high school level, we were as exclusively a pure and distilled of a DW team as I could make it, excepting for my brief forays into Air Raid football in 2016 and the present.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 10, 2019 7:42 pm  

Wow coach you have inspired me.

To reach the age of 36?  Trust me, it really wasn't all that hard.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Riverside Knights 252
(@riverside-knights-252)
Copper
July 10, 2019 7:48 pm  

To reach the age of 36?  Trust me, it really wasn't all that hard.

--Dave

lol.. I said that because most youth legends either played the game since they were young or been around some good coaches..

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
July 10, 2019 8:01 pm  

lol.. I said that because most youth legends

--Well, there's really no such thing as a "youth legend."  There are simply good and bad coaches, regardless of level.

either played the game since they were young or been around some good coaches.

--To be honest, the two things that helped me the most (when I started) was serving under two really bad headers and learning what not to do.  Just by not kicking your own butt can help you inherit wins.  I was determined to not make their mistakes.  The other thing that helped was that since I didn't have a football background, I looked to discover on my own how to solve the dilemmas and challenges in the game.  We were able to come up with some original approaches.  I had an outside the box viewpoint because I didn't learn the game from inside the box.  So I didn't handcuff myself with a lot of the typical "we do things that way because that's how it's always been done."  I ruffled a lot of feathers and took some heat for approaching things differently.  Still do.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
July 11, 2019 3:14 am  

With all of this spread noise going on... Are any coaches still running the single wing??

I do and don't have any intentions of running anything else.  I run it because of the flexibility of personnel and how forgiving it is when I mess up.  We can move in tight, eat clock and grind out first downs if we need to or we can score quick with some wicked motion and ball faking action and we can even spread out and use trick plays where we throw the ball forward down the field.

My offense is a mixed bag of single wing ideals.  It's probably closest to Doc Ward's system but has borrowed from Keith Piper, Rick Darlington and state championship high school coach Scott Smith in Tennessee that I coached under for a season.

I coach football because I love football and the kids.  When I am mandated to run a different offense is when I go home and let someone else have it.

Now if you have a defense that stops all offenses with small, slow players who are scared of contact, then I am all ears! 😉

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: