Notifications

Single Wing Intro Film  

RSS

CoachGlyko
(@coachglyko)
Copper
August 6, 2018 8:12 am  

Hey everyone! Really cool to find a place with dedicated youth coaches like myself.

I've been a single wing guy for the past few years. I just joined up with a new organization, and while my philosophies are being embraced for the most part, there are still a few coaches who remain skeptical (they're afraid it's 'too complicated' for U8). I'm sure the results will speak for themselves in a few weeks, but anybody have any ideas on how to preemptively get everyone 100% on board??

I showed them some film from a previous season, which was my second implementing the single wing and first with this group of players. I'll include a link to that film at the bottom of this post. I'd also love any tips/criticisms/whatever if you want to watch the film. You'll see us play a number of different teams in our jamboree, a few highlights from our Week 1 game, and then two complete drives from our final regular season game. This was a challenging group because we only had 17 kids on the roster, and carried the season with a steady 14-15. We ended up actually forfeiting 3 games due to low numbers, but still made the playoffs. Even in those 'official' 6-0 forfeits, we kicked two of those teams' butts up and down the field with our 15 kids, it just couldn't count for our records.

Anyway, here's the film. Again, I'd love any input from you all. Cheers!

dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
August 6, 2018 8:14 am  

You had 15kids on game day and had to forfeit?

ReplyQuote
CoachGlyko
(@coachglyko)
Copper
August 6, 2018 8:21 am  

Yep! In our league, you have to dress 16 in order to be game-eligible. I'm assuming the thought process is so that kids receive adequate rest?

ReplyQuote
dcooz
(@dcooz)
Bronze
August 6, 2018 8:26 am  

Wow

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
August 6, 2018 8:42 am  

Were you guys flipping the formation strength to the field?

ReplyQuote
CoachGlyko
(@coachglyko)
Copper
August 6, 2018 8:56 am  

Were you guys flipping the formation strength to the field?

For whatever reason, these kids were WAY more comfortable in Wing Left as opposed to Wing Right. It's probably on me, and I'll be sure in the future to make sure that we get more reps to both sides.

So we were more often in Wing Left than Wing Right. My most common reason to flip the formation was to get them closer to our sideline. We ran a hurry-up, no huddle offense, and so I had to call the plays in from the sideline. By keeping them toward the near hash, it made it easier for us to communicate (and more difficult for our opponents to communicate as well). I won't be doing this with my group this year - they're much younger at the U8 level, and I don't think they could handle that quite yet. I've got a 5-year-old on my team. Some of them can't read. I think wristbands are out of the question.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
August 6, 2018 9:19 am  

For whatever reason, these kids were WAY more comfortable in Wing Left as opposed to Wing Right. It's probably on me, and I'll be sure in the future to make sure that we get more reps to both sides.

So we were more often in Wing Left than Wing Right. My most common reason to flip the formation was to get them closer to our sideline. We ran a hurry-up, no huddle offense, and so I had to call the plays in from the sideline. By keeping them toward the near hash, it made it easier for us to communicate (and more difficult for our opponents to communicate as well). I won't be doing this with my group this year - they're much younger at the U8 level, and I don't think they could handle that quite yet. I've got a 5-year-old on my team. Some of them can't read. I think wristbands are out of the question.

Whatever works right?  Personally we have never flipped.  I don’t know a lot of guys that flip in this offense either so the fact you were able to do so is pretty cool.  Just out of curiosity did you guys platoon?

ReplyQuote
CoachGlyko
(@coachglyko)
Copper
August 6, 2018 9:27 am  

Whatever works right?  Personally we have never flipped.  I don’t know a lot of guys that flip in this offense either so the fact you were able to do so is pretty cool.  Just out of curiosity did you guys platoon?

With our numbers so low, we had to. Usually only had 5-6 on the sideline.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 6, 2018 9:43 am  

So we ran ubsw for years. Won a bunch of games to include 2 Pop Warner national championships. I'm telling you that because you asked how to get coaches on board with it. Well, you would think that would of been enough. It wasn't and it won't be for you either. So don't worry about it. Honestly, scheme is not nearly as important as how well you run it. If you are having problems with your own staff then that is easy. They either buy in or they have to go. Don't let guys who don't support you hang around. When I first saw 16 power drew up I was sold. Power is my favorite play but I especially love it from ubsw.

We flipped occasionally to try and catch teams out of position. Do it a few times game and you will get the other teams completely lined up wrong especially since you run hurry up. We really only ran wedge and power from flip.

ReplyQuote
Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
August 6, 2018 10:02 am  

With our numbers so low, we had to. Usually only had 5-6 on the sideline.

I feel your pain there.  We had 13 last season.  With that many kids it didn’t make sense for us to run hurry up no huddle since our entire team played both ways.

Instead we went full slow down mode and kept the ball away from the opposing offense.  We were able to grind out enough wins to get into the play offs.  Where, ironically, we were knocked out by another UBSW team. 

Haven’t had too much grumbling from the assistants honestly.  The parents really weren’t a problem either except a few isolated head cases.  But you’ll have those regardless.

If they had questions or concerns I answered them truthfully and explained why we did what we did.  The fact that we went as far as we did, as small as we were both in size and numbers, made believers out of a lot of people. 

ReplyQuote
coachgye
(@coachgye)
Copper
August 6, 2018 11:53 am  

Wow they allow 4 to 5 coaches on the field?

ReplyQuote
Coach TonyM
(@ramoody)
Gold
North Carolina
Middle School
Head Coach
August 6, 2018 12:31 pm  

Wow they allow 4 to 5 coaches on the field?

It was a jamboree I believe.. so scrimmage

ReplyQuote
CoachGlyko
(@coachglyko)
Copper
August 6, 2018 12:56 pm  

It was a jamboree I believe.. so scrimmage

Correct!

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
August 8, 2018 6:55 am  

nice work, spinner series is deadly.

ReplyQuote
SunDevilDad41
(@sundevildad41)
Copper
August 16, 2018 12:12 pm  

Hey everyone! Really cool to find a place with dedicated youth coaches like myself.

I've been a single wing guy for the past few years. I just joined up with a new organization, and while my philosophies are being embraced for the most part, there are still a few coaches who remain skeptical (they're afraid it's 'too complicated' for U8). I'm sure the results will speak for themselves in a few weeks, but anybody have any ideas on how to preemptively get everyone 100% on board??

I showed them some film from a previous season, which was my second implementing the single wing and first with this group of players. I'll include a link to that film at the bottom of this post. I'd also love any tips/criticisms/whatever if you want to watch the film. You'll see us play a number of different teams in our jamboree, a few highlights from our Week 1 game, and then two complete drives from our final regular season game. This was a challenging group because we only had 17 kids on the roster, and carried the season with a steady 14-15. We ended up actually forfeiting 3 games due to low numbers, but still made the playoffs. Even in those 'official' 6-0 forfeits, we kicked two of those teams' butts up and down the field with our 15 kids, it just couldn't count for our records.

Anyway, here's the film. Again, I'd love any input from you all. Cheers!

Coach I was in your place last year with a 14U team.  Just "Run what you know" and the results will speak for themselves. If your the HC you don't need there approval. However, if you inherited this team and coaches and they were a winning team last year than i'd do what they already know and add the SW - Just me.

In terms of  selling the Single Wing, I use to tell the skeptics and "Armchair" experts that:

1. The SW is the earliest form of Spread football and the core running plays (Power, Sweep, Counter & Reverse) are time tested and in use at the youth, HS, College and Pro levels of football today!!!
2. The SW does not require stud athletes!!!
3. The offense features speed, power and misdirection which allows for multiple players to carry the ball!!! Not one back centric!!!
4. Is a team oriented offense which emphasizes teamwork aspect of football!!!

If the coaches are still aren't sold move them to Snack or Water duty

ReplyQuote
Share: