Notifications
Clear all

Single wing play sheets?

Page 1 / 2

Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
Topic starter  

We're going by Dave Cisar's single wing and wanted to know how do some coaches make or get those cool play sheets full of plays we will run and what to do in certain  downs and situations, etc...

SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

I cannot properly give credit on this one, but I did get this off this board.  Hopefully someone can claim ownership or at least provide who made it as I think it is a very good one.  I apologize to creator for not being able to give proper credit.

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks coach you are awesome!

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

Hey Coach,
I attached my play call sheet that I used in the Spring. It is 2 sheets, front and back. The way I set it up was by down and also by player. I did that to help me get a player the ball, pointed out the play faster. Hope it helps.  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Yard and distance calls should be different for each team. They should also be different for each opponent as the defense they run will effect what you call. In 2009 our 3 and 10 call was 16 power because it was our best play. Most people would put 43 or sweep pass in for 3rd and 10. Only do that if it actually makes sense for your team to run that play in that situation. 16 power was on the top of the list for every situation for us btw.

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

Yard and distance calls should be different for each team. They should also be different for each opponent as the defense they run will effect what you call. In 2009 our 3 and 10 call was 16 power because it was our best play. Most people would put 43 or sweep pass in for 3rd and 10. Only do that if it actually makes sense for your team to run that play in that situation. 16 power was on the top of the list for every situation for us btw.

Great point.

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Thanks guys! And good point indeed 16 power is and always should be on top of list

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Thanks guys! And good point indeed 16 power is and always should be on top of list

It was our best play. Crazy how our bread and butter play which we ran much more than any other averaged the most yards per play.

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Yeah first time OC so hopefully we have same success. Just wanted to make a play call sheet vs certain defenses and down and distances/situations

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We relied less on a situation specific play sheet than on edge counts and what the defense was doing. What might work even better but is difficult to do on the youth level is to track plays in game. Knowing what is working that game can really effect what you call. You would need someone dedicated to that task and they have to know what you call every play.

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze

We relied less on a situation specific play sheet than on edge counts and what the defense was doing.

Totally agree here.  I relied on a play sheet the first year and realized too late that it really didn't work. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

They have their uses. A nice reminder of your game plan but play calling in this offense was always about edge counts and what gap the d was giving us. I like what JJ has on his, "Run power stupid" or something like that. That reminder is to get him to run what works and in his offense(the dw) and this offense more often than not power(with a tag maybe) is the answer. Tags on the playsheet help as well. Just as a reminder as tags seem to get forgotten about. When we were primarily a sw team most of our big runs came from 16 power. For someone else it might be wedge or 43 or some 303 play. Hard to say.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Just a thought exercise: Look at a good, competitive game where one offense is like yours (single wing).  See if you can find another competitive game the same team played that season, maybe a couple others.  Then see if you could construct a play sheet of the type being asked for that would've fit that team.  My guess is that you couldn't.

Know when you'll see a lot of "bread & butter" plays?  When the game's a blowout.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Unfortunately the answer for many coaches in close games is to get away from their b & b plays and dig into stuff they don't practice as much. So the games remain close because nobody is running the plays they are actually good at running. Instead, I would suggest have ways to get those b & b plays going again. Mild alterations to the blocking schemes, formation tags and things of that nature are a better solution in my opinion. One of our big adjustments for power was to have the guard kick and the bb pull through to the backer. It is a nice tag because it gets the de to start hesitating and can put a better player on the backer if necessary. But if you never install these "answers" you can never use them.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Where's wedge.....where's wedge....dangit where IS WEDGE !!!!!

Embrace a Check with Me play calling system and you will be shocked how liberating it is.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: