Notifications

Skip pull for 16 Power  

RSS

Beansko82
(@beansko82)
Bronze
July 31, 2018 7:45 am  

Having some issues with the RG (pulling guard) getting too wide and losing his target. 

I know I can get them wrapping tight to the double team with time and practice.

I was wondering if anyone had used to skip pull For this play so that the RG can stay square to the LOS and keep the defender in his vision?

vikingdw
(@vikingdw)
Copper
July 31, 2018 9:48 am  

Yes that's how/what I taught at youth and HS level ball. We also use the term "scrape paint" to help kids understand the importance of hugging/staying tight to the double team.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond
July 31, 2018 11:15 am  

Stand just past the TE with a shield and give him a lil bop if he goes past you forcing him to cut up where you want.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
September 3, 2018 11:10 am  

We use skip pull for power, push off right foot and throw right arm back keeping shoulders square and side steps tight around RE.  Works well keeps eyes downfield toward inside backer target.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
September 3, 2018 6:04 pm  

Watching the film from our game this weekend, our RG was doing this for some reason, not how I taught it. It caused him to be too slow getting to the LB, and often just caught up in the wash.

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
September 4, 2018 6:11 am  

I use karaoke pull (skip pull) for power.  It get's there faster and allows the puller to stay square with eyes up field on linebackers and allows the puller to get up field tight around the edge.

This video shows the basic footwork although I use tight splits so my guard doesn't have to get that deep or go that far sideways.

ReplyQuote
Share: