Notifications

Spinner 22 Wham  

RSS

shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 16, 2019 6:56 pm  

Anybody tried something like this?  Two teams we will see in the play-offs are probably going to play us like this.  They don't really adjust to our unbalanced but both teams have very hard chargers at Nose guard that slants into our RG gap. 

I have a really good Power Tackle who can get this done.  Tried it once in practice and looked decent.  Timing seemed to work out ok.  Just wondering if anybody has tried a nose guard trap like this.

I put the BB over at wing on this basically to get him out of the way but he could possibly slide over a bit and just bust through the gap between the RG and RT.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
October 17, 2019 6:34 am  

I don't like that at all.

You are allowing penetration straight at your FB who is spinning around just in time to see hard charger NT in his face, all the while assuming PT (who has about as much space to cover as the NT) is going to make a clean trap on NT in time. 

If you want to wham that NT, I would prefer leaving the 3 back sniffer in the RG/RT gap and making the WHAM with him.  I would also consider blocking down on the NT with your RG and folding the PT up in the hole leading the spinner.

But my best advice against that defense, is to block down, kick out, pull the back side guard around and run their tails over at the strong edge. 

Just my 2 cents. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
October 17, 2019 8:28 am  

Two teams we will see in the play-offs are probably going to play us like this.  They don't really adjust to our unbalanced but both teams have very hard chargers at Nose guard that slants into our RG gap. 

I have a really good Power Tackle who can get this done.  Tried it once in practice and looked decent.  Timing seemed to work out ok.  Just wondering if anybody has tried a nose guard trap like this.

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.  If you come out in double wing and the defense really aligns the way you've drawn them, why not just hit hard, hit fast, into the very obvious bubble they leave you?  Just seam buck with #2 leading #1 until they stop it.  If you don't want to double team both edges of the hole, fold one of the OL under the angle block.  Or, depending again on their relative skills, have the C and the PT crab the edges and release RG and RT into that seam.  No need to turn (heh) to deception when you don't need it.

If you want a right-handed C to crab that hard charger, start with a crossover step with the left foot.  Don't ask a right handed snapper to move the right foot first if you can possibly help it.  But you have the numbers there such that you can afford to have the RG and C simply double team him.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
October 18, 2019 5:14 am  

And if the crab block is too much for your snapper to manage against those hard chargers, and they beat double teams, then have your right guard do a crab block into a reverse crab block -- Charlie Caldwell in Modern Single Wing Football calls this the reverse long body block -- which will keep him out of the hole as well as out of the backfield.  The right guard steps with his left foot flat first, then crosses over with his right while throwing his fists to the ground, then works his butt around so he winds up with his head pointing mostly toward your own end of the field.  If that hard charging nose holds up his charge a little to not fall over the back of that right guard's crab block, he then finds the side of the right guard's body and his butt blocking his way to slide across into the hole.

There's a YouTube labeled "crab block" that demonstrates a reverse crab block.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
October 18, 2019 5:59 am  

I would suggest Mouse 22 ISO.

Oline - Everyone inside the Hole blocks GOD.  Everyone outside the Hole blocks GOO.
#3 - Leads through the hole to the LB
#1 and #4 - Carries out Mouse 16 Fake. 

The attached clip is a 24 ISO, but hopefully it helps illustrate the point.  I like 22/24 ISO because it hits so fast. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 26, 2019 5:10 pm  

Yep,  Got  Mouse 22 / 24 ISO Great Play.    I have a beast right guard this year that when he pulls on Sweep and Power we usually do work.  My Center can snap & superman flat to the right and crab block but has not always stopped the penetration for some reason especially on our 43 reverse/counter.  Thought this might work to make the hard charger think twice.  My PT is very quick also, most years he would be my right guard.  My Right Tackle is slow and sometimes they put a guy in his inside gap then its up to the center to cover for my pulling RG.    Tried it in practice and my PT ear holed our nose pancaking him off the ground.    Now my PT has been begging me to run it.  I'll probably try it just for the heck of it in a game.

Thanks for making me think.  supposed to be Semi final playoff game today but too much snow on field.  5-10 years ago we'd play in the snow now is a problem for some odd reason. 

Thanks again. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
October 27, 2019 9:20 am  

My Center can snap & superman flat to the right

Wow, that's very impressive!  Is he a lefty?  Actually snapping while executing the steps and arm motion for superman looks challenging in either direction (but especially toward the dominant hand) in my imagination, and in my imagination is where it's staying because I doubt I'll ever see it or try to coach it.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 29, 2019 9:59 am  

Snap and dive to the right?  Ask Dave Cisar.  I think that is where I got that but works to slow NG in strong side A gap usually.  Maybe my terminology is incorrect.  Anyway game was too tight to try this play.  We won 14-0 ugly.  Championship this Sunday.  Team we lost to in regular season 16-8. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
October 29, 2019 6:42 pm  

Snap and dive to the right?  Ask Dave Cisar.  I think that is where I got that but works to slow NG in strong side A gap usually.  Maybe my terminology is incorrect.

Maybe so, because he coaches a crab block, not a superman or dive.

ReplyQuote
dbayer66
(@dbayer66)
Copper
November 25, 2019 2:59 pm  

we did something like that many years ago, but we were a high school running it.  the front was different, but we trapped with the dude head up the SG  with the TE, fun.  it was a "back trap"  i believe (this was several years ago) we sent the BB to trap the weak DE, the QG on the DT, the center up the BLB, the SG went to the Mike, the PG and PT double-teamed up to the Sam, the TE trapped that nose.  we had both RBs in the backfield, the FB filled for the TE,  the wing took steps like he was running counter to the weak side, the TB took the snap and handed to the wing who cut inside the trap block...

having said all that, i agree with 32wedge,  i think if you keep the BB where he is and put the 1 or 2 at the weak wing, this would put more stress on the defense, we called that "tank", you can now trap that dude with the BB just as 32wedge so ably described.

however, with the "tank" look, you can still run any play that you would normally run out of base.

based on your drawing, you would have power off tackle weak and strong and you also have the ability to double team/combo the DE with your TE/Wing and then get on the corner as well as run the according run pass behind that corner when he inevtiably starts to come up to stop saod sweep.

i would also double team that nose with a severe angle approach by the RG and RT, center block back, the PT outside release to the Mike, and trap that DT who is just past the RT, bb kicks out that DT.

or double the Nose with the C and RG and fill for the trapper with the Wte. and RT goes straight to the mike. hope that all makes sense
🙂

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
November 26, 2019 2:34 am  

All Single Wing coaches should pay attention to anything dbayer66 posts.  He is the only coach to speak at all 18 Single Wing Conclaves, highly respected in the cult!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
November 26, 2019 4:00 am  

All Single Wing coaches should pay attention to anything dbayer66 posts.  He is the only coach to speak at all 18 Single Wing Conclaves, highly respected in the cult!

I understand that, but he also has to know where the best barbecue is found.  Oh...wait, that’s a different thread.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: