Notifications
Clear all

Spinner Series at the 8U Level

CoachAJ-SC
(@coachaj-sc)
Copper
Topic starter  

Greetings, Coaches.

I'm interested in seeing if there are many of you who have successfully run the spinner series at the 8U level. 2015 was my first year truly running Dave Cisar's system. We had a great season running 4-5 plays, but I'm still intrigued by the spinner series. I don't plan on trying it until we (coaches and players) have mastered the "Sainted Six," but I'm curious as to how other 8U teams have fared using the spinner plays.

Thanks,
AJ

vikingdw
(@vikingdw)
Copper

Hi Coach,
I've run DCSW Spinner Series with 7 yr olds and with 8 yr olds too. As you stated, you must have the Sainted Six running perfectly first. Had great success with the Spinner Series as it was the 1st reason why I just had to run the SW Offense when I first saw Spinner in action.
We were really good at running Spinner 26 Power, Spinner 32 Wedge, Spinner 31 Trap and Spinner 21 Trap. We also ran some Spinner 22 ISO and Spinner 43 Reverse as well. The first 4 plays were the ones we ran the most. Footwork for the 2 back is key...best of luck to you!

ReplyQuote
CoachSugg
(@coachsugg)
Silver

I used it with 7/8s in 2014.  We ran base, Mouse, and Spinner.

We couldn't effectively trap, because of the lack of aggressive DTs.

So Spinner 32 Wedge and Spinner 26 Power were the plays worth running.  The rest is just window dressing. 

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

ReplyQuote
archer
(@archer)
Bronze

It works well with that age group. At this level don't over stress the 2 backs footwork. Just get his back to the los as the backs mesh. We wasted time trying to get the footwork right and it was terrible. Let the 2 back do what worked for him (almost a hop) and the install went very fast. As the kids get older you can clean it up. With the bobble head, the hidden ball and meshes makes their feet stop working. DE's cross the los and stop, LB'ers hop in space - it's a hoot. Spinner wedge is money in the bank. Even  the Ref's are lost.

ReplyQuote
CoachAJ-SC
(@coachaj-sc)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks for your feedback, Gentlemen!

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Use the progressions in the book
2 back by himself before or after practice for 10 minutes
Without ball
With balk
Then add the 1 no ball
Then add the 4 no ball
Both with ball

Teach the footwork
If he uses it great, most do
If he can do it on his own, great, but don't let him get deeper in the backfield by adding a step there

We run:
26, 32, 31, 43 tight and wide/47, PA pass, 24 Blast and this year experimenting with an additional run play and variation on the 31
Last year with my rookie 3-4 grade team we ran 5 Spinner Plays by seasons end- they were our biggest average gainers

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

It works well with that age group. At this level don't over stress the 2 backs footwork. Just get his back to the los as the backs mesh. We wasted time trying to get the footwork right and it was terrible. Let the 2 back do what worked for him (almost a hop) and the install went very fast. As the kids get older you can clean it up. With the bobble head, the hidden ball and meshes makes their feet stop working. DE's cross the los and stop, LB'ers hop in space - it's a hoot. Spinner wedge is money in the bank. Even  the Ref's are lost.

I think there are times when we as coaches can get too caught up in the little things. Especially with the younger players. Don't get me wrong, I love the little things and when I look back to when we were dominate it was the attention to detail that got us there. You just need to decide what little things truly are important. If the player can achieve the same result without creating a negative then I say let him have at it. The only issue with this is you don't want to develop bad habits. I doubt improper footwork of a 2 back in Dave's offense is going to cause a kid not to be able to play qb in hs. As the players coordination improves with age I bet the 2 backs spinner footwork will be able to be performed.

As for the value of the spinner series with the younger kids, I feel that any series that includes a large amount of misdirection should get you a bunch of big plays. 7yo linebackers chase action like a kitten chases string.

ReplyQuote
jgweather
(@jgweather)
Copper

Last season was my first year as coach at the Tiny Mite level (5,6,7). If anything I learned I did not give enough credit to how fast the little guys could learn and waited until our 3rd game to install the spinner series. Fortunately it was just in time as this was a much bigger and faster team. The spinner spinner series was our saving bacon as it used the other teams aggressiveness against them. This season I plan to have it in place week 1.

ReplyQuote
Share: