Notifications

Spreading out the SW Formations - Yes or No  

RSS

CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 18, 2018 2:50 am  

I've been playing around with these Single Wing formations and turning them into Spread formations.  I keep coming back to these four formations.  We use some of the Beast Single Wing Spread concepts in the Power Wing Beast Offense so I thought I would play with a few other SW formations and see what was there.  I need to Spread the field some more for a few of our opponents next season. 

Beast - Yale Single Wing
Crash - UB Single Wing
Squad - Notre Dame Wing
Zig Zag - Tennessee Power Wing

Anyone else try some of this?  Success or not?  I really like the Squad Gang and Victory Bunch.  Zig Zag WOW also looks interesting. 

Input appreciated.  I am working on some plays vs defenses but if you have ideas would love to hear them too. 

Thanks
Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
December 18, 2018 7:15 am  

I used multiple formations including some spread out stuff and run straight power series plays and half spin series with my 2 (QB) spinning to mesh with either the 1 or 4 back.  We were double tight a lot of the time by replacing the split out Y with a bigger TE type kid who lined up tight all the time.

Towards the end of the season we played around with flipping everyone including the hole numbers. 

I used most of the formations in the attached document quite a bit.  I like using formations but I think you have to have a specific reason for every formation you use.  Each new formations should give you a certain advantage in attacking a defense or maybe you just need a new place to play a specific kid but have a purpose.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
February 27, 2019 5:12 pm  

My son's All-Star squad played a team in the state finals (8 and under) that used the Squad Loose Split in short yardage situations. They liked to throw the ball out wide and run the sweep with three players blocking down and one selling the Jet Sweep action. It was pretty effective, especially inside the 10-yard line (they put 31 points on the board that day).

As for the team I coached, I attached the version of the Single Wing that I ran, which is basically the same as the Beast Tight Nasty, but with a tight end and a balanced line. We did pretty well with it, posting a 5-3 record with mostly 7-year olds playing tackle for the first time. Now that these kids are little more seasoned, I could see mixing in a lot of the WOW packages to keep opposing defenses honest. If/when I do, I'll check back in!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 27, 2019 6:58 pm  

Mine looks like the rest of yours, but with the blocking back (3 or 4, depending on which of your diagrams) facing the wingback & with his hands under center.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
February 28, 2019 4:46 am  

The keys to making this stuff work:

1.  Know why you're doing it.  Not just "to spread the defense," but exactly what is it you're looking at when you do.

2.  How much of your stuff can you run from it.  If you need to install a bunch of plays that are specific to the formation (more than 3-5), it's probably not a good idea.

3. How can you make the offense respect your spread receivers?  If you're going to spread players out, some defense is going to try to just man up and press you while they pack the box, daring you to throw.  How are you going to handle this?

One problem I see with a lot of these unbalanced Empty sets where everyone is set to one side is that you don't have a blocker on the weak force player, which is going to make it hard to attack there without pulling somebody or running a sprint out pass.  You're giving an offense something tough to one side, but in doing so you're playing with one hand tied behind your back.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
February 28, 2019 4:46 am  

We used the Squad Gang Bunch in a scrimmage this week and scored 3 TDs on the first three plays run from that formation.  All passes.  Screen, and 2 Go Routes.  Pretty Crazy.  I will be using this formation quite a bit more in the next few weeks.

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
May 16, 2019 6:51 am  

Here a Squad Diamond / Gang Bunch Sweep Highlight

more to come

Thanks,
Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
Head Coach
May 16, 2019 4:47 pm  

Loved the video!

I am definitely going to try this on my 8u team this fall!!

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
July 24, 2019 5:49 am  

Here's were we spread out the Notre Dame box a little bit.  This is in the Wildcat Multi Spread Offense and Power Wing Beast Offense playbooks.  This is the Cake / Fat formations.  Enjoy the TD drive. 

enjoy the video...

~ Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
Share: