Notifications

sweep plays  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
October 25, 2017 8:24 am  

Ball-carriers have to have reads, landmarks, etc.  Otherwise (especially) in the youth game, ball-carriers will simply keep running until they run out of space.  That's why they "head to the sidelines."  It's like a magnet for them.  Compress your field.  Use cones.  Show him the ONE block he needs to read.  "If it's a kick-out, you have to run inside the blocker's butt.  If it's a seal, then you run outside the blocker's butt."  Practice it with two players: the ball-carrier and his blocker.  Add players as he shows his comprehension.

--Dave

That's pretty much what we've been doing, and used barriers to keep it compressed.  I'll just continue to rep it each practice, looking much better now.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 25, 2017 8:32 am  

That's pretty much what we've been doing, and used barriers to keep it compressed.  I'll just continue to rep it each practice, looking much better now.

Our high school Backs used to want to take everything outside.  We spent a lot of time on the field showing them landmarks and in the film room showing them inside lanes.  We were able teach them to run north and not outside.  Then when we started calling sweep plays, they continued cutting it up "north" into traffic.  Then we had to go back to teaching them how to run outside.  lol  I think we have it now.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
October 25, 2017 9:27 am  

I seem to have the opposite problem this year. Most of my runners are always looking for the cutback, not trusting their speed and the fact that they have a lead blocker leading them to the outside. On 18 Sweep both my QB's have a tendency to want to cut inside at the first glimpse of an opening. This usually only leads to a couple yard gain, since they are cutting into where the BB and RG are blocking their defenders to.

Heck, this last week we won fairly handily, but could have had probably 2 more scores. One was on a kick return, our big bruising FB was running down the sidelines, with half a step on the tackler, and instead of just running full speed down the sideline, he stopped and tried to cut back on this kid. Now he did make that kid miss, but allowed another tackler to catch up and get him at the 20. On another, 43 Reverse was ran beautifully, WB had the safety beat to the outside, but again tried to cutback and got tripped up. On the next play we had a bad snap and the only turnover of the game.

Did a lot of chaser drills on power and sweep last night, and they seemed to be getting the idea. It actually worked out well because i have 2 quality QB's that I rotate of about equal speed, and whoever was QB the other was the chaser so they made it into a competition between the two to see who could catch the other more times.

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
October 25, 2017 11:42 am  

I've had multiple people tell me to just coach them to hit the edge hit the edge and eventually they'll get around it and take off.  With a corner that's playing wide to prevent the sweep though it's pretty hard for my 2 back to get out there and turn him inside so my 1 back is well aware of that now and he knows to either hit the edge or cut it in based off that block. 

Now once the defense adjusts to stop the power and brings the corners in, it's easy to turn him in.  I guess the moral to my story is, I don't need to be running a sweep play if they're stacked on the edges. 

With this look though and the DE's crashing, I'm thinking sweep all day
                                  X

X              X      X  X      X            X
                          X  X      X  X

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
October 25, 2017 12:39 pm  

Sweep, along with wedge, Reverse, and others are a way to attack the defence's weak spots if/when they sell out to stop the Power. That is why running the 16 Power as close to perfect as possible is vital, you need to force the defence to adjust their alignment to stop it, opening up other holes on the D for you to exploit

ReplyQuote
michealmyers
(@michealmyers)
Bronze
October 25, 2017 12:59 pm  

Sweep, along with wedge, Reverse, and others are a way to attack the defence's weak spots if/when they sell out to stop the Power. That is why running the 16 Power as close to perfect as possible is vital, you need to force the defence to adjust their alignment to stop it, opening up other holes on the D for you to exploit

Agreed, I basically have to get in the mindset of just running 16 power till they adjust, provided I'm getting positive yardage. 

ReplyQuote
(@_53_)
Copper
October 26, 2017 4:40 am  

Our high school Backs used to want to take everything outside.  We spent a lot of time on the field showing them landmarks and in the film room showing them inside lanes.  We were able teach them to run north and not outside.  Then when we started calling sweep plays, they continued cutting it up "north" into traffic.  Then we had to go back to teaching them how to run outside.  lol  I think we have it now.

--Dave

We run off-tackle so much. I have to really hammer actually taking it wide, instead of just running to the TE and cutting it up.

I guess that's a better problem to have than just running out of bounds and getting nothing

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: