RSS

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
August 29, 2018 4:02 pm  

It is a fast and easy install that has to be repped a bunch for it to work as it should. As the oline coach I could not care less if the backs are around. To me, wedge progression should be an edd with the oline in group time. Just like pulls and blocking.

I used to spend a lot of time teaching wedge going step by step through the progression.  Stopped doing that a few years ago. 

I start by fitting them in a good wedge formation.  Then from the already fitted wedge I have bird dog one step at time pushing me down field.  Then have them push me full speed.  Then I back up and have them start their normal three point stances alignment on the ball.  I have the apex man fire out two steps and freeze while every one else fits behind him.  Then I have them explode into the wedge and up field as fast as possible.  Takes about 5 minutes with 13-14 year olds.  Would take more time with younger guys.

Then I have them work on fit and explosion about 2 minutes per practice each day during offense group time.

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
September 3, 2018 11:19 am  

We keep wedge sharp with Timed wedge fits.  How many perfect fits in 1 minutes.  We’ll also have wedge races 2nd team gets head start versus 1st team against coach with shield.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: