Notifications

We're seeing this a lot...  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
October 12, 2016 6:59 pm  

I had a problem with gap protection for a while, ran slow Oklahoma and had the defender line up out side of the OL shoulder, if the OL lost they had to do the hellfire drill. Started to see some better intensity after a few reps.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
shawnm
(@shawnm)
Bronze
October 12, 2016 7:51 pm  

Based on tonight's practice...blockers not fast enough to protect the inside gap. We worked on it for an hour and a half tonight, first one-on-one, then "group".

Are your splits foot to foot?  I haven't had issue covering the guard pull.  For example if a defender is lined head up on our right guard and if he pulls we teach our right tackle to get his head across that defender....he would slam him with his right shoulder on his 2nd step.  Now if there was both a 2 and 3 tech head on our guard and tackle we wouldn't pull.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 13, 2016 2:59 am  

Splits are only 2-3".

ReplyQuote
coachmyles
(@coachmyles)
Bronze
October 13, 2016 10:30 am  

.......................S

..v...........B.............B..............v
........v..........v..v..v.....v.....v
...........E..G..C..G..T..T..E
............................H.......W

................Q...F

When we motion Z back, the TNT shifts weak. We've been blocking this primarily as G-D-B so that we can get our puller (RG) out. Counter has been our best play, but we're having trouble running power and sweep. I'm going to install a blast play to take advantage of the weakside shift on the motion. Any other suggestions?

This is a T-N-T front, if you are recessing your line closing in for the puller should not be a problem. The NO call should be effective, WB blocks FBI, BB kickout DE, and FB leads on PSCB.

Based on tonight's practice...blockers not fast enough to protect the inside gap. We worked on it for an hour and a half tonight, first one-on-one, then "group".

If the pulling problem continues, take a look at Cisar's buck series. It is a balanced line with a nasty split to the left.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare to win"The General Robert Montgomery Knight(Bobby Knight)Amat Victoria Curad"Victory Favors the PREPARED!"

ReplyQuote
HawkB
(@hawkb)
Bronze
October 14, 2016 5:05 am  

.......................S

..v...........B.............B..............v
........v..........v..v..v.....v.....v
...........E..G..C..G..T..T..E
............................H.......W

................Q...F

When we motion Z back, the TNT shifts weak. We've been blocking this primarily as G-D-B so that we can get our puller (RG) out. Counter has been our best play, but we're having trouble running power and sweep. I'm going to install a blast play to take advantage of the weakside shift on the motion. Any other suggestions?

23 Power with the H back shifted slightly over or in "Larry" alignment. 43 Counter

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 17, 2016 9:07 pm  

Uh... Why not just run a weak side ISO every play? Think of Wing T belly series. No-mo, lead w/ Q, run w/ F. LT kicks out, G walls down.

Not sure what the SW guys call that, but don't have to be a SW guy to see you could run weak ISO every single play for 5+.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 18, 2016 5:16 am  

Because we have very weak blockers on that side.

ReplyQuote
coachmyles
(@coachmyles)
Bronze
October 18, 2016 6:37 am  

Uh... Why not just run a weak side ISO every play? Think of Wing T belly series. No-mo, lead w/ Q, run w/ F. LT kicks out, G walls down.

Not sure what the SW guys call that, but don't have to be a SW guy to see you could run weak ISO every single play for 5+.

Because 43 counter is a more effective play.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare to win"The General Robert Montgomery Knight(Bobby Knight)Amat Victoria Curad"Victory Favors the PREPARED!"

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
October 18, 2016 7:31 am  

Yes sir, more lead blockers and more misdirection.  I would rather kick out than seal with my LE.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 18, 2016 8:35 am  

Well sure. Counters are generally more effective than ISO's on a YPC basis. But usually you try to set counter up, so you can score, or get a big chunk. It's not something you run 5/6 times in a row.

If he wants to get them out of this look, so he can get back to power, running weak ISO's down their throat one play after another will accomplish hat goal.

We see similar stuff w/ people trying to stop Buck sweep. So we just run belly over & over & over until they adjust.

ReplyQuote
coachmyles
(@coachmyles)
Bronze
October 18, 2016 8:43 am  

Well sure. Counters are generally more effective than ISO's on a YPC basis. But usually you try to set counter up, so you can score, or get a big chunk. It's not something you run 5/6 times in a row.

If he wants to get them out of this look, so he can get back to power, running weak ISO's down their throat one play after another will accomplish hat goal.

We see similar stuff w/ people trying to stop Buck sweep. So we just run belly over & over & over until they adjust.

In that alignment you run 43 counter over and over to get back to power. If it were my team and the D aligned like that, we are going buck formation and pounding 23 power.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 18, 2016 8:45 am  

Because we have very weak blockers on that side.

1: Make them better

2: You will need very little blocking against that front

3: Football is math. Without pulling anyone you'll have a one man advantage. If you cant win at the POA w/ a one man advantage, fire your RB's & the O-line coach.

4: If you need more help, bring the BB to either kick out or lead. Now you have a 2 man advantage.

I wouldn't motion or pull anyone, cuz you're tipping your hand when you do. You should be able to win w/ - man advantage 100% of the time. Well coached D's will read the BB in the SW.

I know "run it where they aint" is blasphemy to some of you SW'ers, but dude, run it where they aint.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
October 18, 2016 8:50 am  

In that alignment you run 43 counter over and over to get back to power. If it were my team and the D aligned like that, we are going buck formation and pounding 23 power.

Solid plan so long as the D isn't reading guards and BB. If they are, you're unessesarily leading the D to the play, whereas a straight weak ISO still gives you a man advantage w/ out leading the D to the play.

As someone who's spent MANY sleepless nights worrying about how to stop the SW, false leads or plays w/ no keys worry me the most.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 18, 2016 9:28 am  

Counter is our best running play. We pull G, H, and OT.

ReplyQuote
coachmyles
(@coachmyles)
Bronze
October 18, 2016 9:38 am  

Solid plan so long as the D isn't reading guards and BB. If they are, you're unessesarily leading the D to the play, whereas a straight weak ISO still gives you a man advantage w/ out leading the D to the play.

As someone who's spent MANY sleepless nights worrying about how to stop the SW, false leads or plays w/ no keys worry me the most.

Read them all you want, you still have to stop it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: