Notifications

Best way to play a punt...  

RSS

DoubleWingCoach
(@doublewingcoach)
Gold
June 24, 2013 10:50 pm  

Okay i'm no fan of punting and don't intend to do it unless i'm REALLY deep in my own territory and nursing a close lead. If i'm past my 40 forget about it.....

So i got around to thinking what's the best way to align to play against a punt???? Since they can't field the ball wouldn't it be better to bring all 11 in an attempt to block it????

Or is that too dangerous seeing as how one could pop pass and rip off a TD easily with nobody back deep....

What are your guys techniques when your opponent punts? how do you align? send someone back? Tell him to get away from it at all cost? Field it and run????? other???

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
June 25, 2013 1:07 am  

We did not put a punt returner back at all last year.

We used our Gambler stack alignment and blitzed our moose and falcon.

Man to man coverage, big rush. 
If you have a deep team, someone talented who can catch a punt and then make folks miss, giving you a chance to run punts back....thats nice.  we always seem to be thin at the wingback position so we arent willing to put our ace back there to take shots from the gunners....

did that once, never again, kid was lit up....knocked out. might as well just try for the block, after the ball is kicked, its poison, we just walk off the field.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
June 25, 2013 6:00 am  

Okay i'm no fan of punting and don't intend to do it unless i'm REALLY deep in my own territory and nursing a close lead. If i'm past my 40 forget about it.....

So i got around to thinking what's the best way to align to play against a punt???? Since they can't field the ball wouldn't it be better to bring all 11 in an attempt to block it????

Or is that too dangerous seeing as how one could pop pass and rip off a TD easily with nobody back deep....

What are your guys techniques when your opponent punts? how do you align? send someone back? Tell him to get away from it at all cost? Field it and run????? other???

The FAKE punt is one of the most dangerous offensive weapons in youth football- Key is you HAVE to punt every once in awhile to actually make the fake work- especially in places like where I coach where everyone scouts/trades info. BTW- the few times we punted- we punted out of bounds. Im not sure sending all 11 makes the most sense. One year we lined up in punt formation something like 10 times- we faked it 8 times and got 7 first downs out of the deal.

IMO the best answer DEPENDS on what you have, what your strengths and weaknesses are as well as the strengths and weaknesses of your opposition.

IF your offense is scoring on 80-90% of its possessions AND you dont have a great deep threat for returning- maybe it makes sense to play defense and not field the punt
If your offense is scoring on just 20% of its possessions and you have a strong D- and no great returneer maybe it makes sense to go for the block
If your offense is scoring on just 25% of its possessions, you have an OK D and a good returner- maybe it makes sense to try and set up a return
Whenever a team has a very weak punter- probably makes sense to play defense- not field a punt- or go for the block. Really short punts are hard to return for many kids- and the D is right on top of you.

I had the pleasure of having Jay Smith coach for me several seasons. He had coached for Canyon Springs HS - in Cal, where his teams had won 2 USA TODAY National Championships. His teams were always amazing at special teams
His base philosophy- DONT give up the fake punt first down- TACKLE the punter if you can, if not, play safe defense. He WASNT a big guy on blocking punts- his goal was to tackle the punter- the reason: he felt the risk reward for a roughing the kicker- vs just tackling him was a better proposition. He always rushed 5-6- but they were 5-6 of the best kids on his team.

The realities of youth football and MOST of us having limited practice time- there is legitimate value in NOT investing time in things- like fielding punts. Again- depends on what you have and who you are playing- for best answer. One season we had a very elusive return kid and just an above average offense- we set up returns that year.

As to alignment- we align in the base MOST of the time
In some cases we will get rid of one of our NTs and play Man Free- not covering the punt

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 25, 2013 7:05 am  

A few more thoughts on the idea of punt returns.

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php/topic,13695.0.html

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
June 25, 2013 8:24 am  

We play our base defense with a single high safety. Our goal is to not give up the first down. Fielding it depends on the kid playing safety skills, the path of the ball, and the coverage. We will yell "peter" if he is to leave it alone. We don't have time in practice to really set up returns so we just have our kids block/stalk block to the best of their ability. The punt block is something we install later in the season as time allows if at all. We always manage to block a few regardless if we have the punt block called. A bunch of teams locally try the quick kick. They will do this even if our dline has been living in the backfield all day. Silly.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
June 27, 2013 5:18 am  

Here again I have a very different view. First, we want our opponnents to punt the ball to us. That means our defense has done it's job, & now we have a chance for a big play. My last season in youth football we returned 11 punts for td's. Punt  block has always been tougher because of roughing the kicker. I never want to give up field position.

Our punt returns have yielded us such large returns while being safe against the fake. I just don't understand letting the ball go & giving back all those yds. We have a poison call where everyone moves away from the ball, but I always stressed I was the one to make that call. If the ball bounces I want our guy to pick it up. I do agree at 10 & under this could be a risk, but at 11 & up the rewards are much greater. (sidenote Rob I gave Jeff our return in Panama)

Punting is another issue. I agree with DC on this, you have to punt to set up the fake, & the fake is killer. In HS we had the worst punter in America last year. Great kid, horrible punter. We only punted enough to set up our fakes which mauled teams. We ran 8 fakes last season, 7 went for a first down or better.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
June 27, 2013 5:23 am  

It just seems that many of the teams who go into punt formation are faking or they just line up regular and run a play. Most teams go for it but we often don't know it until they drop a kid back so we assume they will run a play. I am sure this year we will work on it more as the kids are older and we will definetely have more than a few kids that can field the punt.  😉

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
June 27, 2013 6:00 am  

I love the rugby technique. It sets up a run/punt option.

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum
July 4, 2013 4:46 pm  

See ATTACHMENT.  11 punts blocked (4 for TD's):

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
Share: