Page 7 / 7
  RSS

Bob Goodman
New Jersey
Asst Coach
3rd - 5th
I, wing T, sidesaddle T, shotgun spread
June 7, 2014 9:47 pm  

We want the ball. Scoring first is huge. Coming from behind is always difficult.

I agree.  "Defer" is a good choice at a high level of play, where the idea is that if you have to come from behind in the last min., you'll know whether you need a TD or FG -- consider'ns like that that don't apply with kids.  Whether you think you have the advantage kicking or receiving, starting at one end or the other, take that advantage immediately and try to get the lead rather than having the option in your pocket to start the 2nd half.

ReplyQuote
June 17, 2014 10:13 am  

Depends on our scouting report

This.

"ALWAYS LEARNING AND TRYING TO IMPROVE. SUCH IS THE LIFE OF A COACH!"

ReplyQuote
October 2, 2014 11:55 am  

I always defer i have coached for 12 years and only 4x have allowed more then 12 points in a game. Our offense is a power running offense so we play for field position. And the other reason we defer because we do onside kick but since teams are starting to line 10 guys up 10 yards from the ball we have been kicking 20 yards towards left hash and have our fastest 5 on that side

ReplyQuote
October 2, 2014 2:40 pm  

We always defer and then on side kick.

So it turns out about 1:3 we take a possession away from them. Either way I don't mind starting on Defense.

As it turns out, I ALWAYS want the ball.  We have yet to win a coin toss this season, but all the teams we've played so far have deferred-and then onside kicked.  So far, we have recovered them.

God created five seasons:  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and last but definitely not least . . . FOOTBALL!!

ReplyQuote
February 6, 2015 2:10 pm  

Only 1 option gives you the opportunity to get the ball to start the 1st and 2nd half-----DEFER! It's happened numerous times that we defer, the opponent wants to be on defense to start and we end up getting it 2 times. You don't get that chance when you win the toss and choose to receive.

Wow, seriously?  Where on earth do you coach?  I've been coaching for 21 years, and over the years we've typically deferred and I've never had that happen once ... ever.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
Illinois
Club Admin
Other
Wing (Double and T), ECO. Jacks 6-3, JR's Split 4-4. 5-3.. Some familiarity with Spread (Read), RPO.
February 6, 2015 7:17 pm  

I made that mistake exactly one time...  Why?  I wasnt paying attention.  My Fault! 

Never happened again!  I defer more often than not but, depending on our opponent, I may take the ball and grind 8 minutes off the clock and pin them inside their 25! 

Honestly, a coach who cant tell by the warm ups and the look in their kids eyes, what kind of day it will be is lost! 

🙁

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
February 7, 2015 5:14 am  

Wow, seriously?  Where on earth do you coach?  I've been coaching for 21 years, and over the years we've typically deferred and I've never had that happen once ... ever.

I have seen inexperienced coaches not explain properly the process of what to choose when the opponent defers. In those few cases the refs have always intervened and set the kids(and coach) straight. That might be overstepping their boundaries but I never cared. I don't want to take advantage of the kids not understanding the rule because of some idiot coach who has no clue.

ReplyQuote
February 7, 2015 7:45 am  

Happened in overtime of the 1962 AFL championship game.

Texans won the toss and Abner Hayes accidentally indicated the Texans would kick off.  So they gave up the ball AND didn't get to choose direction.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
February 7, 2015 1:59 pm  

we had a bad set of refs, kinda ranty but I will stick to top 3 bad calls. We were arguing over the dumbest things.

We said to our front line if ball is high onside kick to waive your hands signalling fair catch. This team kicked off like this, we knew it and prepared for it. The refs said nobody could do that except the designated returner. We said yah but they aint kicking to our returners they are kicking it 10 yds in the air, and the kid thats catching the ball is the kid waiving, and is the "designated returner" They said NOPE the deepest kid had to waive his hands. We produced the rule book and looked up kick offs they flagged us for delay of game. They refused to even look at book. HC threw book on field said here have a copy...whistle flag 15 unsportsmanlike side line warning and threatened to toss coach from game...so we hadn't got past the opening KO and we know we are in for a bad day with these guys.

They also called offensive pass interference for a hitch screen where the defender came up in bump n run coverage, the receiver tried to go forward 2 steps the defender jammed him, then stepped back to catch screen...Yah I know bu the corner was 8 yds deep for 5 or so plays we call this and they came up in bnr!!! dang near intercepted ball...anyways we get the PI??? Kid caught it and they blew whistle and stopped play as he was running down the sidelines. Defender went for the pick and missed, we shoulda scored, they killed play and backed us up for offensive PI!

***now to point of this thread....Started 2nd half they said we had to kick off again, because OUR 9 yr old captains didn't say defer to 2nd half they just said they didn't want to kick it. ???? Our captains said "no you guys asked us after we said defer like 3 times" "you said we didn't want to kick it" "we said no our coach wants us to defer to 2nd half"...so now they are saying all 4 of our captains are liars.??

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
New Jersey
Asst Coach
3rd - 5th
I, wing T, sidesaddle T, shotgun spread
February 7, 2015 3:51 pm  

we had a bad set of refs, kinda ranty but I will stick to top 3 bad calls. We were arguing over the dumbest things.

We said to our front line if ball is high onside kick to waive your hands signalling fair catch. This team kicked off like this, we knew it and prepared for it. The refs said nobody could do that except the designated returner. We said yah but they aint kicking to our returners they are kicking it 10 yds in the air, and the kid thats catching the ball is the kid waiving, and is the "designated returner" They said NOPE the deepest kid had to waive his hands. We produced the rule book and looked up kick offs they flagged us for delay of game. They refused to even look at book. HC threw book on field said here have a copy...whistle flag 15 unsportsmanlike side line warning and threatened to toss coach from game...so we hadn't got past the opening KO and we know we are in for a bad day with these guys.

Are you sure those are all the rules your organiz'n is supposed to follow?

ReplyQuote
February 7, 2015 3:58 pm  

Did you ask how anybody is actually "designated" a returner?

I'm picturing it like the end of Ghostbusters...

Coach 1: I didn't designate a returner.  Did you designate a returner?

Coach 2: No, I didn't designate a returner.

Coach 1: See?  Nobody designated a returner.

Coach 3: All I could think of was Camp Waconda...

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
February 8, 2015 6:57 am  

Did you ask how anybody is actually "designated" a returner?

I'm picturing it like the end of Ghostbusters...

Coach 1: I didn't designate a returner.  Did you designate a returner?

Coach 2: No, I didn't designate a returner.

Coach 1: See?  Nobody designated a returner.

Coach 3: All I could think of was Camp Waconda...

Its hard to debate with somebody who is in a position of authority, they know they can make up or say what they want, you have to bite your tongue, and cannot speak freely, Its hard to argue a point of view or for the truth, with someone who is not using logic, reason nor rational thought, and who is being "wrong minded" to flat out dishonest and possibly with a hidden agenda...HOLY CRAP THAT WAS MY MOTHER IN LAW OUT THERE IN DISGUISE!

ReplyQuote
February 9, 2015 12:25 pm  

University of Texas did this last season.

ReplyQuote
February 9, 2015 12:30 pm  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2197846-texas-longhorns-mess-up-coin-toss-vs-ucla-coach-charlie-strong-is-furious

ReplyQuote
February 20, 2015 2:50 pm  

I prefer to defer (unintentional rhyme) simply because I feel like there's less pressure that way. All I have to do is keep the game close, because I get the extra possession in the next half.

If we start with the football, it's just too much pressure. We need to be up by 2 scores.

"People think I'm the best damn coach in the world, but Neyland taught me everything l know"-Bear Bryant"The measure of who we are, is what we do, with what we have."-Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 7
Share: