Notifications

Situational Decisions - Defense  

RSS

CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
July 30, 2013 7:43 pm  

I was reading an article about defensive backs and situational football.

Are there any key coaching points you express or teach your players when certain situations arrive.

For example:
Deep pass to the end zone on 3rd down.  The DB's should intercept instead of batting down to prevent a 4th down
Deep pass on 4th down. Knock the ball down and gain the field position.

Last play of the game, the score is tied. 
1) Bat the ball down and maybe have it deflect back to a offensive player for a score?
2) intercept and try to return it for a score?
3) Intercept and take a knee in the end zone and take your chances in Overtime?

What would you have your defenders do?

Please share any other defensive teachings you do.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum
July 30, 2013 8:51 pm  

I wouldn't tell them to bat the ball. I wouldn't want to lose on a deflection where they catch it. Just play how we have taught them and if you can intercept it great, if not make sure the Receiver isn't going to catch it.

I would have them try and run it back. I had a kid who ran back a pick every single game but one last season. I would rather try and end it than hope for the best in overtime.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold
July 30, 2013 11:03 pm  

I wouldn't tell them to bat the ball. I wouldn't want to lose on a deflection where they catch it. Just play how we have taught them and if you can intercept it great, if not make sure the Receiver isn't going to catch it.

I would have them try and run it back. I had a kid who ran back a pick every single game but one last season. I would rather try and end it than hope for the best in overtime.

This is my thought exactly.  I like football smarts, but I want my defense thinking turnovers all the time.  I don't ever want them passing up an int, even on 4th down.  My corners are usually athletes and 2 of my faster kids. I want them thinking touchdown.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
August 1, 2013 7:44 pm  

Last play of the game, the score is tied. 
1) Bat the ball down and maybe have it deflect back to a offensive player for a score?
2) intercept and try to return it for a score?
3) Intercept and take a knee in the end zone and take your chances in Overtime?

How is this at all a hard decision?  #2.  Even if you told them otherwise they'd still try it.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
August 2, 2013 7:04 am  

1988 we were on a 57 game winning streak & going for our 4th consectutive State Championship. In the championship game several crazy things happened, the worst was on the last play of the game, we were up by 5. Our opponnent threw a deep ball to the end zone, the safety in front of the receiver tipped the ball, the safety behind the receiver batted it away into the arms of another receiver. Game over!

Since that day I will never rush 3 & drop 8, I won't ever do it again. Watching that play on tape still sickens me to this day. Yes, I took the blame for the loss, but it's still tough to swallow today.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachJohn
(@coachj)
Platinum
August 2, 2013 5:56 pm  

I can see how that would leave a bad taste in your mouth.

"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
August 3, 2013 4:53 pm  

int and try to score ...even if he doesnt were still going to OT..

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Share: