Notifications

Your down 0-24, does it affect your play calling on offense?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
April 15, 2013 8:02 am  

John

It really depends on the individual circumstances. If we are down & just getting physically beat, or are down by our own mistakes.

In a State Championship game in 1992, we were down 16-0 in the first qtr. Our coaches were flipping out, & our players had the blank stare on their faces. It was the first time they had been down all season. I gathered everyone around before the KO & told them simply " We got them right where we want them". We marched 80 yds in 5 plays & it was on. We won 54-16.

We trailed at the Nationals 14-8 at 1/2 time. We had given up a fumble return & a pick 6. First I had to calm the coaches, who had gotten over excited, then made the players laugh. We won that one 38-14.

IMHO it's about why are you down that determines what you will do. In our offense we simply take what they give us, so if there's 8-9 box then yes we will throw. If they are playing wide we go inside. It doesn't change how I look at the game.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum
April 15, 2013 8:15 am  

In a h.s. game I am still trying to come back at that point.  It's only three scores and there is a lot of time.  We will increase tempo of play calling and if we may go no huddle - definitely in the 4th. 

In a youth game (for us) we are in running clock and slaughter rules are in effect. 

However, it is  still only 3 scores so I will still try to win - though I hate that a team can still win after the other team was forced to sub however briefly.  Never actually been on the other side of that.  If we get the ball back after the 3rd score and they haven't had to sub backfield yet - I will attempt all stops to score on next drive.   

If I fail, I may throw in the towel because they will be forced to sub their backfield. 

I would say if it was 4th quarter I would probably start subbing kids around at certain positions.    I would not send all 11 to stop the run or stop covering their wideouts.    I don't like it when teams do that to me.  So it would probably be hypocritical to do it to them.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
April 15, 2013 9:05 am  

Dan

I agree there is huge difference in clock & slaughter or mercy rules. I also still think how you are down makes a difference. If you are being dominated in every phase of the game, it's very different then making mistakes. Did they drive the ball down our throats? Did we give up big plays? All this has to come into consideration.

That all being said, I have seen a few comeback from 20 points down. Maybe 2 over 35 years. I know I have never been up by more then 20 & lost. In youth football the most I have ever been down is 16, & we came back & won. In HS probably 22-24, & we lost.

So it's a difficult question. I always say you have to have a plan for everything, & I usually have a plan for being down 20 at the half. That plan is molded by the factors I have spoken about. I also think you have to have a good gauge of your team. I never want my players to know what to expect from me at 1/2 time. If we are up & it's close I maybe all calm. I really try to take stock of them. You need to understand that as a coach. If they are tight, make them loosen up & play. Correct what needs to be corrected but be upbeat & positive. Breed confidence they can feed off. If we are up big, & they have fat heads, stick a pin in 'em & bring them back to earth. I usually rip them at this point focusing on every little mistake. This only happens if you can keep your head & know your team. As a rule at 1/2 time I always gather with the coaches giving the team a brief minute alone. We go over what adjustments & personel changes we need to make. As we walk up to the team or enter the locker room, I then gauge their attitudes.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
April 17, 2013 2:24 am  

I think it depends on how we got there.

IF its just a series of mistakes and they havent really defended us well, we have moved the ball and not capitalized then its not likely to effect us much. Id say that Id be on my guys to get into and out of the huddle faster.  (something we need to emphasize more in practice because we look stupid loafing when we are trailing). 

if we have been completely stuffed , going nowwhere we are probably going to mix in play action pass a whole lot more and take a few more shots.   

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
August 3, 2013 5:05 pm  

Coaches,
Say (hypothetically), your down 0-24 in the 3rd quarter.  Does this affect your overall play calling?

I have read many of articles where most discuss remaining patient and playing your game, but with the youth games having such short quarters (8 mins, 10 mins) do have enough time to do so?

Hell yes it does... you have to score and score fast with 1Q left to play, you  need 5 scores, and atleast 4 of them have to be TD's ....which means that you also have to get the ball back at least 5 times as well..if an opponent jumps out to an early lead, then I say stay with your game plan, but in the 3rd you better have a little fire under your ass to put up points . 

But you also cant ignore what your opponent is doing defensively .. like sitting in a prevent

The clock isnt your buddy in these situations, and if your opponent is smart at all theyre keeping the ball on the ground to keep that thing rolling

So you are going to have to do what you can to preserve every second .. therefore your game plan may have to switch more to pass than run. 

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
crissaitch
(@crissaitch)
Bronze
September 18, 2013 11:08 am  

It doesn't change my play calling, it changes my attitude. Riding the kids whose heads are already hanging will land you in quicksand. Get them back to having fun, and your original game plan will begin to work.

Let me rephrase that... I might throw in a special call that the kids love just to get them excited again. Other than that, business as usual.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: