Notifications
Clear all

The Importance of Special Teams

Page 2 / 4

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

BG

That is the point. Coaching 8 y/o's you will probably never kick deep, but you had better practice On Siding.

Wasting practice time is definitely bad coaching, not being prepared is too.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Pantherlinecoach
(@pantherlinecoach)
Bronze

Two years ago, we lost the Super Bowl 19 to 13. Two of their scores amounted to about 10 yards of offense for them. Punter felt rushed, and didn't get two punts off, both led to scores for the wrong team. This past season, we worked extensively on Teams throughout the season, got to the Super Bowl again, only needed to punt 1 time, backed the opponent up inside their own 10. 28 to 13 win. Lesson learned the hard way, as MY lack of focus on special teams pretty much single handedly cost that group of kids an undefeated championship season two seasons ago.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

P

That's whole point of the post. I  am not talking the merit of punting or not, deep kick or on side, only whichever you plan for; you must practice.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

P

That's whole point of the post. I  am not talking the merit of punting or not, deep kick or on side, only whichever you plan for; you must practice.

Joe

Exactly. I HATE to punt. It's the only play from scrimmage designed to give the ball to the other team. However, if you're going to do it, you might as well be good at it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

L

Coach Kevin Kelly from Pulaski Academy, who has the theory of never punting spends lots of time coaching specials. They have a multitude of On Side's kicks, as well as 2 pt plays. Lately he has been spending practice time on plays where there are multiple ball handlers.

The important thing is to be good at whatever you are doing.

Bear Bryant had a maxim he coached by; "have a plan for everything".

Have a plan for bad weather, hot weather, cold weather, wind, rain, snow.

Have a plan if you win the toss or if you lose.

Have a plan if you are losing, winning early.

Have a plan if you up, down at 1/2 time.

You get the idea, he want you as a coach to be prepared for any outcome. You will always hear me say have a plan. Now you know where I got it from.

Joe

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

L

Coach Kevin Kelly from Pulaski Academy, who has the theory of never punting spends lots of time coaching specials. They have a multitude of On Side's kicks, as well as 2 pt plays. Lately he has been spending practice time on plays where there are multiple ball handlers.

The important thing is to be good at whatever you are doing.

Bear Bryant had a maxim he coached by; "have a plan for everything".

Have a plan for bad weather, hot weather, cold weather, wind, rain, snow.

Have a plan if you win the toss or if you lose.

Have a plan if you are losing, winning early.

Have a plan if you up, down at 1/2 time.

You get the idea, he want you as a coach to be prepared for any outcome. You will always hear me say have a plan. Now you know where I got it from.

Joe

Mahonz and I had this exact conversation the day after our bowl game. It's something I think we MUST improve on going forward.

ReplyQuote
Pantherlinecoach
(@pantherlinecoach)
Bronze

Exactly. I HATE to punt. It's the only play from scrimmage designed to give the ball to the other team. However, if you're going to do it, you might as well be good at it.

This is exactly how I felt 2 years ago, until we needed to do it, and went into a championship game not prepared for that situation. I got bit, which then put my kids in a position to fail. Was a sickening feeling

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

This is exactly how I felt 2 years ago, until we needed to do it, and went into a championship game not prepared for that situation. I got bit, which then put my kids in a position to fail. Was a sickening feeling

I once lost a semifinal in overtime that featured a recovered onside kick from the other team, a TD on a KR from the other team and a blocked punt for a TD from the other team. 21 points attributed to not being ready.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

With this team I have been blessed with 2 kids who can kick the football...for extra points and field goals as well as kick offs. Last season the outer edge of field goal range was the opponents 20, which is about a 37 yard field goal, yes, we put the block at 7 yards. We also have 2 boys who can deep and short snap, the proper way (my son was able to coach them up on that). One we use for FGs and PATs, the other for punts. We have the punter at about 10 yards deep, so he has room to step forward and not have to worry about kicking the ball into a lineman. We also have our lovely oline that blocks for the PATs and FGs.

We have won 2 games because we kicked field goals on 4th down while inside the bad guys 20. We have won many games against teams who could not kick PATs, and we could.

On Punt return, we put our oline out there, and have them lock up the punt team's oline. They line up in their 2 point oline stance, and don't let them off the line 🙂

The two kickers...one is really good at putting the ball where we want it, on the ground, bouncing all over the place...the other one has the huge leg...had a touch back on a kick last season on one bounce...

Special teams are huge, we spend time on them, you can tell some of the teams we play do not.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Last season the outer edge of field goal range was the opponents 20, which is about a 37 yard field goal, yes, we put the block at 7 yards.

At 10U???

Man, and I thought our kicker was precocious. Great weapon to have for sure.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

At 10U???

😮

We suck Dude.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

At 10U???

I take no credit...it's his leg and his soccer coaches 😛 I just asked his dad if he can take him out and practice on fields with goal posts 🙂 Well, a little bit of credit, I taught my son to deep snap, and he taught my two deep snappers 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I decided to forgo kicking extra points last season after we had mauled teams the season before scoring on almost all our non-kicking extra points (1 vs 2 points like your league)

Simple Math:

100 Touchdowns Scored

Converting 99% of your kicks = 99 points

Converting 50% of your 2-point conversions = 100 points

How good is your kicker?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

How good is your kicker?

--Dave

Also, how good is your long snapper? Holder? Protections? Obviously as the age increases, kicking PATs makes more sense analytically.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I really haven't seen anyone discuss the new rules for FG/PAT protections. I understand the safety issues; however we never had an injury under the old rules.

My last season in MH we used the Navy Protection, which is both wings on the Kicker's foot side & slide protection away. We still stepped across, now it has to be behind. Has anyone had problems with this?

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4
Share: