Notifications

Big Coco Question about FB alignment  

RSS

bsoefker
(@bsoefker)
Lurker
January 26, 2015 2:19 pm  

I am looking to install this spread offense for the upcoming season, but had a couple questions. 

What are your thoughts on aligning The fullback directly behind the QB similar to pistol alignment?  My thought is that by aligning him behind the qb, you could have a more effective downhill power play.  The FB could also take counter step so that his mesh with QB would allow QB to still be in good read position with eyes on DE.  Seems like this would also eliminate D pre-snap reading which way FB was going, since he always goes opposite of his presnap alignment.

Also, do guys that use this offense find that D's start to read OT's pulling and follow him?  I would imagine you could mix up this key with having jet back kick out DE sometimes. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

morris
(@morris)
Platinum
January 26, 2015 3:02 pm  

Pistol should work fine. Getting the foot work for the qb is pretty easy. Also if the DL starts reading then just read them.

ReplyQuote
coacho
(@coacho)
Silver
January 26, 2015 3:24 pm  

Coach,

That alignment allows you to be old school with a new school twist.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 26, 2015 3:37 pm  

We used a sniffer when we had our extra tackle in

-------0-0-#-0-0
----------------$
-------r----q

His general rule was offset opposit the back. We had "push" which is essentially power... "push keep" counter with keep action going back.

Was good for pass pro but hindered some down field possibility I felt

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
tsilverman
(@tsilverman)
Copper
January 26, 2015 7:16 pm  

We preferred to play the FB to the side so that we could read the backside DE on the read.  Also we liked to invite the adjustment to the FB alignment so we could run power or option to the opposition direction. 

ReplyQuote
2ez
 2ez
(@2ez)
Bronze
January 30, 2015 1:57 pm  

I've run this offense and the Pistol Spread Option at ages 8u and 10u.  If you have trouble getting your backs on a downhill track then Pistol is where you want to be.  If your backs can read the kick out by the tackle the side by side cross look gives you good cross action as well as the ability to lead with your back and run your QB.  If your QB isn't really a run threat then you may want to go with Pistol as well. 

That being said I found that the read with the side by side action was actually easier from my QB's as they are put in a more natural mesh position looking at the DE.  Just my experience over the pas 4 years.

As for the reading of the tackles the only thing we started to get was DE's that were crashing off the snap in order to avoid the kick out which leads to the QB pulling and getting yardage. 

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze
June 24, 2016 9:24 am  

Offset back (behind qb) can be really effective.

The main reason is your zone runs will be across the center and the gap runs should be to the side of the back. This now allows you to run to both sides of the center on any given snap.

Once you establish the zone run game you can punch them in the mouth with a power backside, or vice versa. It also meshes well with jet. This way you can have the back lead on jet and run the fake jet run play without moving him.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
June 24, 2016 11:05 am  

And if you don't run zone?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
June 24, 2016 12:22 pm  

Then you don't count lol or matter lol

I joke I joke... inn2009 when I made the coconut spread... small tweak of Glenn Harris ide never imagined it take off..it's like a phantom

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
June 24, 2016 7:32 pm  

No that's funny. Due to our current personnel I've looked over that playbook a lot. I need my tackles to be the better athletes due them having to block the edge in pass protection so using them to run power and counter makes more sense. We used the RB more in pistol during the spring but we are going to have us some offset stuff a lot like what Coach Tony suggested.

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze
June 24, 2016 10:29 pm  

You can simply replace it with blast or a gap scheme like power.

ReplyQuote
Share: