Notifications

Check with me for Spread  

RSS

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 3, 2017 8:31 pm  

Has anyone used a check with me system when running the spread? If you have, would you be willing to share how you call/ed your plays? Thanks in advance.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 3, 2017 8:52 pm  

Has anyone used a check with me system when running the spread? If you have, would you be willing to share how you call/ed your plays? Thanks in advance.

I've done it a number of different ways. Which one should I start with?

BTW...Spread is not unique compared to other Offenses when using a check with me system unless you pass every down....which I have done once before just to see if we could. We won by 56 points vs a playoff team.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 4, 2017 2:19 am  

I've done it a number of different ways. Which one should I start with?

BTW...Spread is not unique compared to other Offenses when using a check with me system unless you pass every down....which I have done once before just to see if we could. We won by 56 points vs a playoff team.

You mind sharing your play calls or hand signals?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 4, 2017 5:08 am  

Ive used check with me once i learned what it was... that progressed to calling 2 plays... to 3.... back to 1...to settle on 3 again lol

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 4, 2017 5:11 am  

Ive used check with me once i learned what it was... that progressed to calling 2 plays... to 3.... back to 1...to settle on 3 again lol

You call 3 plays for every play?

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 4, 2017 5:38 am  

You call 3 plays for every play?

Yup... we were in one back
- play1: red/white ...wide zone to red...tight zone to white
- play 2: quick pass : wr spot pass or tight end dump
- play 3- 50/60 pass

The only play that changed was the run... the qb called the run play based on what he saw unless we changed the play from sideline.

So it would be ... "base zone check"  or "flip gap check"  or " base 52 pass check"

We would only use "check" in the beginning of the game as opposed to all game.

Its actually a lot of fun when the kids realise  they control the game. We also made sure we one worded everything for lineman or one signal for wr

ReplyQuote
Huskerprice
(@huskerprice)
Bronze
August 4, 2017 6:19 am  

Example

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 4, 2017 8:06 am  

Yup... we were in one back
- play1: red/white ...wide zone to red...tight zone to white
- play 2: quick pass : wr spot pass or tight end dump
- play 3- 50/60 pass

The only play that changed was the run... the qb called the run play based on what he saw unless we changed the play from sideline.

So it would be ... "base zone check"  or "flip gap check"  or " base 52 pass check"

We would only use "check" in the beginning of the game as opposed to all game.

Its actually a lot of fun when the kids realise  they control the game. We also made sure we one worded everything for lineman or one signal for wr

What would have been an example of a play call?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
August 4, 2017 9:52 am  

You mind sharing your play calls or hand signals?

Here is one that I really like. Incredibly flexible and easy for the kids to learn.

When Hueys came on line about 15 years ago I read a post that described the Joe Gibbs numbering system he used for the Deadskins. That was my Eureka moment.

Basically its for alignments and motions. The field is numbered left to right 1 thru 9. Those are the alignment and motion monuments.

T  G  C  G  T 
        1          2          3          4                  6      7      8      9

Now plug in a formation and use the one player that moves around the most to set the formation

Lets use the Spread I since you are interested in Joes Power I. The FB moves around the most.

X                                      T  G  C  G  T        Y
        1          2          3          4        Q        6      7      8      9
                                                                                            Z

5                               
                                                          F

T

So this Formation is called "5" because the F aligns at 5 but you have to account for motions or shifts so the digit doubles.

"55" means align at 5 and stay at 5.
"58" means align at 5 and motion to 8 on cue.
"54" means align at 5 and motion or shift since its close to 4 on cue

So this formation is called "55".

Now add a RIGHT or LEFT tag. You can design it so that any of the positions are RIGHT and the others LEFT. In this example since there are 2 to the RIGHT....Y and Z...we will call this alignment RIGHT and X will always align LEFT

So this formation is "55" RIGHT.

Now you can move all ineligibles to wherever you want via a shift or a motion or by alignment by adding a TAG.

Want twins left but want to isolate Y?

-------------------------------------------- Z

F

T

55 R Z93

Z aligns at 9 and motions to 3 on cue. You can make this a Jet action or not.

Orbit motion?

55 R Z 95

--- Z
                                                                                    --                                                     
                                                          5                --
                                                          F----------

T

Heavy Unbalanced?

T  G  C  G  T  X    Y
                                                                                            Z

5                               
                                                          F

T

55 R X 66

Bunched?

F            Z

5                               

T

66 R Z 88

EMPTY ?

T                                              F                      Z

5                               

66 R  T 22         

EMPTY Gun?

1          2          3          4                    6      7      8      9
                      T                                              F                    Z
                                                          Q
                                                          5                               

66 R  T 22  GUN 

Want a shift and not a motion add the keyword in "DANCE" and include that keyword into your cadence for when you want to shift. 

From this....

Z

5                               
                                                          F 

T

Too this...

F                    Z

5                               

T

54 R Z 96 DANCE

Then we name our HOLE's by naming our Lineman and name our BACKS and call plays. That can be whatever the heck you want. Then we use a receivers tree for passing.

So a play call can be

44 R Z 93 GAG ON PUKE

Translation....

47 Jet Sweep with the F aligned to seal the edge and the T meshing last. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 4, 2017 9:55 am  

What would have been an example of a play call?

Base- zone aa.
  - check = base formation- qb calls run unless - coaches or qb calls for check

Our code word was " hurry " hurry meant play called in hudl will not change.

Our code word for check was "yellow"

Huddle is loose ... call would just be 10/20 check...line knows if hurry is called the next combo of numbers and colors tells us what run... if yellow is  called we auto pass protect

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 4, 2017 11:24 am  

I will be running Joe's version of the Spread this year with 14U. So no being on the field for me anymore and this is why I want to do a check with me system.

ReplyQuote
Share: