Notifications

Evaluations  

RSS

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
August 7, 2017 7:30 pm  

I am in the process of evaluating my team for positions and I want to make sure I do it right. Last thing I want is a kid in the wrong position. What eveluation drills do you run for each position? How do you differentiate from WR and RB? What do you look for in each position? Do you ever use players at both? I envision cross training my players at WR and HB, is it worth the effort? When it comes to the QB, what do you look for physically? How do you decide who "the guy" is? Should I have the same type of QB or just the two best guys, even if they are completely different types of players?

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 7, 2017 10:30 pm  

The longer I do this, the more I realize it's art more than science. Some positions, you can't compromise much. You may only have one or two players to fill that role. One of them might be the best on your team, or your entire league at another position, but you need him at that other spot. I've done it all when it comes to evals. Combines, hit scores, drills, tryouts . . . I still end up moving them around all season.

I think the "right" way is to know your offense, defense and players. Somewhere out there is a "best for us" configuration.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
August 8, 2017 9:37 am  

Like Gumby says, evaluating players and putting them in the right position to help your team win is almost a black art.  It really separates the good coaches from the great coaches. 

In our first few practices we hold try outs for main positions and here are some things we look at to separate the players into three batches. Linemen, Running Backs and Utility players.  Since we play in a league with weight restrictions its easy to separate by weight.  Once we set positions we continue evaluating through scrimmages and the first few games to get it right.  Even then I've made changes in the last few games to get it right. 

Here are some things I look at....

1)  Speed
2)  Weight
3)  Height
4) Catching
5)  Throwing
6) Tackling
7) Blocking
8) Snapping Football - US and Shotgun
9)  Football IQ
10) Quickness Quick feet
11) Will they make practice and early pre practice
12) Can they run in traffic and not fumble
13)  Can they learn the plays
14)  Can they remember snap count
15)  Have they played that position before

I am in the process of evaluating my team for positions and I want to make sure I do it right. Last thing I want is a kid in the wrong position. What eveluation drills do you run for each position? How do you differentiate from WR and RB? What do you look for in each position? Do you ever use players at both? I envision cross training my players at WR and HB, is it worth the effort? When it comes to the QB, what do you look for physically? How do you decide who "the guy" is? Should I have the same type of QB or just the two best guys, even if they are completely different types of players?

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
Share: