Favorite Spread Play?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 28, 2017 5:41 am  

I am trying to develop a "Best" Spread play list and would love to hear what is your favorite Spread play? 

I personally love these......
1)  Spread Jet Sweep
2)  Spread Trips backside Slant
3)  Spread Trips Wedge
4)  Spread QB 11 Power Trap
5)  Spread Trips TE Reverse (Statue Liberty  🙂 )
6)  Spread QB Stretch Sweep
7)  Spread Trips Sweep Option Double Hitch Quick Out

What is yours?

Thanks,
Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
December 28, 2017 7:34 am  

I'm not sure how useful a "best spread play" list will be.

In a good spread offense, all the plays work together to form a coherent system.  Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Jet Sweep, Counter, Trap, Power Read, Speed Option, etc... they're all great plays, but they fit together to form a coherent run game.  Add a coherent passing game to it and you have a complete offense.

Inside Zone Read and Power Read (or an Inverted Zone Read) make a nice 1-2 punch.  You run Zone Read when the B gap bubble is open to the RB side.  You run Power Read when the B gap bubble is open away from the RB.  That allows the T on that side to get to the LB cleanly.

With that said, you could theoretically build an entire spread running game off the zone blocking scheme by incorporating different reads, tags, and backfield actions.

Jet Sweep is also a very nice play to have because you can run all of your other base runs off the Jet action and get some cheap misdirection.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 28, 2017 8:54 am  

Thanks for the feedback.  I understand one play is not an offense but I am looking for the play when you are running your total package what is your go to play that you and your players feel that works. 

Most people that know me, know I run the Beast Single Wing and I love the Beast Power Play over my two tackles.  This is my go to play in my Power Wing Beast Offense.  If I need need 3 to 4 for sure yards, I am running Beast Tank.  Beast Tank works much better with the total offensive package but the Beast Tank does well on its own too.  This is kinda what I am looking for in your favorite Spread Play. 

Thanks again for your feedback and Happy Holidays,
~ Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 28, 2017 9:32 am  

Joe always says the best play in football is power. I agree. That lunatic does a ton of things from power read. You can easily build your offense around power.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 28, 2017 10:28 am  

Speaking of Joe....QB follows are go to plays regardless of your Spread philosophy.

16 power w/ an UB formation. We dont pull OLM but instead use receivers.

Stretch same side keep. The Slot Counter off this action is pretty good too. Boot keep off the stretch takes too long.

Anyhoo...couple of money plays inspired by Joe's "follow" philosophy.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 28, 2017 10:49 am  

Ahhh there are those crazy wide splits.  Interesting.... 

Good looking QB...

Thanks for the feedback and videos....

~ Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 28, 2017 11:56 am  

Heaven or boston

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 29, 2017 4:50 am  

We are a Spread Option team. We of course have roots running Power. We play teams that usually have considerably more talent than us. Our whole game is built around the theory, if we can't block him read him. Our passing game is dependent on stretching the field Vertically & Horizontally. Often in the Youth game you can't do the same things.

My last Youth team was great at Zone & Stretch, but in the NC our first play was Power for a 65 yd TD. Much like Coach Arnold is saying your offense has to compliment everything you do, also as a coach you have to realize exactly what it is you can do.

I was just talking to a Coach yesterday about the importance of Naked, often I have preached here that in the Youth game it maybe the most important play to have. I know from 11's & down it is always the most important pass play, & for older groups it still plays a large role. The problem I often see is coaching the details, you need to take time to coach it correctly & have the QB develop.

Joe 

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
December 29, 2017 5:19 am  

I will never come close to full spread, but if I were to, I would be looking at shovel option. Urban Myer when he was at Utah essentially killed Pitt in I believe the sugar bowl

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 29, 2017 5:24 am  

We ran it very well this season with Power blocking. The natural thought process is that the D will jump the QB & RB opening the H up with an extra blocker. We played a team with the National POY, they jumped the QB & H. Our RB had 2 walk in td's.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 29, 2017 5:29 am  

Love this play too.  We have done something close but not a pure shovel.  Great play.  Thanks for your feedback. ~ Parker

I will never come close to full spread, but if I were to, I would be looking at shovel option. Urban Myer when he was at Utah essentially killed Pitt in I believe the sugar bowl

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 29, 2017 5:42 am  

Thank you for the feedback.  Since we only have 2 days a week to practice in our youth football league getting enough time is always a problem, a real big problem.  We ask our QBs now to also use private QB coaches to get the proper QB training. So many potential QBs in the DFW area are taking private lessons now. 

I run a ton of power in my other formations so Spread Power plays are of special interest to me.

Yes, talent and play series calling is very important on any play.  After 25 years coaching youth football, I do have a few favorites that seem to work all the time.  🙂

Yes, the Naked boot pass play has been a great play in many formations. 

Thanks again,
Parker

We are a Spread Option team. We of course have roots running Power. We play teams that usually have considerably more talent than us. Our whole game is built around the theory, if we can't block him read him. Our passing game is dependent on stretching the field Vertically & Horizontally. Often in the Youth game you can't do the same things.

My last Youth team was great at Zone & Stretch, but in the NC our first play was Power for a 65 yd TD. Much like Coach Arnold is saying your offense has to compliment everything you do, also as a coach you have to realize exactly what it is you can do.

I was just talking to a Coach yesterday about the importance of Naked, often I have preached here that in the Youth game it maybe the most important play to have. I know from 11's & down it is always the most important pass play, & for older groups it still plays a large role. The problem I often see is coaching the details, you need to take time to coach it correctly & have the QB develop.

Joe

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
December 29, 2017 5:52 am  

Thanks for everyones feedback.  I spent most of the day yesterday reading up on all your feedback through tons of Google searches to find more info and complimentary plays.  Great stuff. 

If you haven't seen this article it was really good about the 4 schools of the Spread formation
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/5/6/11606684/the-4-main-schools-of-spread-offense-smashmouth-option-air-raid-pro-style

I also thought these tips were very good
http://winwiththepass.com/spread-running-game-tips/

I have the perfect TCU Spread running back / QB so I am trying to develop a complete playbook for him this Spring to compliment our Power Wing Beast Offense Jumbo Trips Series. 

Thanks again for all the feedback - keep it coming,
Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
December 29, 2017 5:53 am  

I have been a private QB coach over the years. Therefore; I never want them to go to a private coach other than me. A lot of times what a Private coach does won't fit what your team is doing. We only practiced 2 days a week also & we were still able to be effective in what we did.

While I also have favorite plays, the real key is what each team can do best. As a coach it is important to understand it isn't about what I want to do, more so what they are good at doing.

Joe

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
December 29, 2017 5:56 am  

Shovel is doable in youth but a bunch of time has to be spent on it. A whole lot can go horribly wrong. We ran it pretty well back in 2006 and 2007 but got away from it because of the effort needed to get it going. Not worth it for us and we didn't run it as an option.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: