Notifications

How much is too much?  

RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
June 12, 2018 6:42 am  

Last year with this group of Dawgs...they are 11/12 this coming season. We transitioned from DTDW to Spread last season, and we struggled a bit in the early part of the season, but we stayed with it, despite being idiots, according to the parents...about midway through the season, the players over came our idiocy and started executing the offense, we grabbed the last play off seed, and lost in the first round of the play offs...everyone was "hoppy sited" (a quote from Juan Gonzalez, former Texas Ranger great), which when translated means happy and excited...

Spring...7v7 all pass, we did really well, scored a lot of points, lost 3 games out of 11, and we probably shouldn't have lost any, drops, bad routes, blown coverages. But everyone was very excited at the possibilities for this fall. We got what we wanted/needed in the draft...hopes are high 🙂

So, we have 6 running plays, they can go left or right, and 5 of them can be run out of multiple formations. We have three play passes, 2 of them can be run from multiple formations. We have the bubble screens that we can throw both sides to both the 1's and the 2's, we have a wheel pass off of the bubble action. We had slant/arrow and slant/wheel, and as the season wore on, we added Mesh and Swing (double slants with a swing route under them). We also had a couple of trick plays out of "Starburst" (four receivers stacked, a TE on the other side).

We are a year more mature in the offense...and we want to add more...

Dagger Concept
Tunnel Screen from the boundary to the middle
Slow Screen from the backfield to the Boundary
More Crossing Routes
More Flood Concepts

How much is too much?

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
June 12, 2018 8:20 am  

Honestly the only thing stopping you is their ability to execute more.  I have between 20 and 30 plays on paper waiting for installation.  Some teams get 30 some get 10.  It's all predicated on how well we execute the basic offense first. 

Hope this makes sense.  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
June 12, 2018 8:40 am  

Honestly the only thing stopping you is their ability to execute more.  I have between 20 and 30 plays on paper waiting for installation.  Some teams get 30 some get 10.  It's all predicated on how well we execute the basic offense first. 

Hope this makes sense.  😉

Makes perfect sense! Thanks...

I have always been conservative in my approach to teaching...not wanting to over tax them, only to find out that things I was holding back on they were ready for...guess its time to be more aggressive in my teaching 🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
June 12, 2018 9:04 am  

For me, it's all about whether we need it or not. If we don't have a need for it, it's too much. I've been on both sides of the fence. "Run 5 plays and run them perfectly" and "Get 'good enough' at a ton of things". I prefer the latter.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
June 12, 2018 9:45 am  

For me, it's all about whether we need it or not. If we don't have a need for it, it's too much. I've been on both sides of the fence. "Run 5 plays and run them perfectly" and "Get 'good enough' at a ton of things". I prefer the latter.

We need more...slant/arrow and slant/wheel are not getting them out of a loaded box, he have to stress them down the field to back them out so we can run the ball...

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
June 12, 2018 11:11 am  

4 Verts

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
June 13, 2018 4:46 am  

4 Verts

Exactly. You need to spread the field vertically and horizontally.

ReplyQuote
Share: