Notifications

Keys to the offense  

RSS

headtrip
(@headtrip)
Bronze
December 3, 2017 6:22 pm  

Here's my situation, i'm going from a team in the 2017 season where i had 1 true stud and a few athletes, quite a few kids started both ways, to a potential 2018 team where i may have 20 to 22 athletic starters.

2017 i ended up going to a oneback offense and kept feeding the ball to the stud, spreading the ball around just enough so that the defense couldn't fully key on the tailback. . it worked out for us as we won about half our games against a tough schedule and we were competitive through most of the season. the only exception was against the eventual league champs.

Turkey bowl: We went to a post season turkey bowl tournament where we were able to bring in some of the kids that will be playing with us next year. We put in the coco spread for offense. With about 2 weeks of practice we went undefeated in the tourney. Points for to points against was somewhere around 25-8, we only had to play 3 games. Defense played lights out. The offense didn't exactly light up the scoreboard though. i attribute some of that to the limited practice time and me not being as familiar with the offense as i would like to be.

Defenses seemed to be able to pretty well stifle the offense at times. They learned if they played the run hard enough and brought enough pressure, we couldn't hurt them bad enough with the pass. Maybe this will change with enough practice, but it's enough to have me looking at maybe changing offenses.

What's your experience here? We were a 9 year old team that will of course be moving up to 10 next year.  With this young of a team, what have you found that really kept defenses from making you one dimensional? I expect to see a lot of 5-3 and 6-2/4-4 defenses next year if that helps.

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 4, 2017 4:26 am  

PM Mahonz. I used to hate throwing the ball until I started coaching with him. He's got a system that works with younger players. If you can pass even moderately well with the young guys, you seem to stay ahead of the curve as they get older. Defenses get better at defending the pass, but the passing offenses get better at the same pace.

Some of the concepts:
Always run routes that stay moving
Coach calls the receiver and route
The only "read" by the QB is throw or don't throw (run)
Ball is out of the QB's hands in 2 seconds

I joined his staff when the team was in 6th grade, but I've seen him do it with 3rd graders. I coached 2nd graders with his son and we were slightly below "okay" at passing.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
December 4, 2017 12:23 pm  

In any spread offense, you need to be able to throw the ball around a little to force the defense to respect your spread.

It doesn't need to be fancy.  A couple of screens and 2-3 good quick passes is enough with young kids.  You need to be able to do it, though.  If you can throw slants consistently, you'll be in good shape.

You also need to be able to do some things to stop defenses from jamming up your WRs release off the line.  Stacked receivers, bunch sets (both wide bunch and tight bunch), motion, etc.  Youth defenses also tend to have a hard time dealing with empty sets.

I also really like to run a Jet Series with the RB leading for the sweep and QB running complimentary plays inside off the sweep in this type of offense.  It's cheap misdirection to use Jet fakes on top of your base runs to dress them up and really messes with youth defenses that chase the ball.  A good Jet Sweep with an off tackle, inside, and backside run off it as well as a PAP pop pass and boot is plenty of offense in most youth leagues

If you can't do those things, teams can and will just man up on you and pack the box.  If you're stuck running at a 7 man box from 4 wide, you're already halfway to losing.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 4, 2017 12:39 pm  

Here's my situation, i'm going from a team in the 2017 season where i had 1 true stud and a few athletes, quite a few kids started both ways, to a potential 2018 team where i may have 20 to 22 athletic starters.

2017 i ended up going to a oneback offense and kept feeding the ball to the stud, spreading the ball around just enough so that the defense couldn't fully key on the tailback. . it worked out for us as we won about half our games against a tough schedule and we were competitive through most of the season. the only exception was against the eventual league champs.

Turkey bowl: We went to a post season turkey bowl tournament where we were able to bring in some of the kids that will be playing with us next year. We put in the coco spread for offense. With about 2 weeks of practice we went undefeated in the tourney. Points for to points against was somewhere around 25-8, we only had to play 3 games. Defense played lights out. The offense didn't exactly light up the scoreboard though. i attribute some of that to the limited practice time and me not being as familiar with the offense as i would like to be.

Defenses seemed to be able to pretty well stifle the offense at times. They learned if they played the run hard enough and brought enough pressure, we couldn't hurt them bad enough with the pass. Maybe this will change with enough practice, but it's enough to have me looking at maybe changing offenses.

What's your experience here? We were a 9 year old team that will of course be moving up to 10 next year.  With this young of a team, what have you found that really kept defenses from making you one dimensional? I expect to see a lot of 5-3 and 6-2/4-4 defenses next year if that helps.

10's is still a bit young to think spread only IMHO.

I used to be a spread only coach. Drifted away from that because so many run spread stuff now a day so DC's are better prepared. Now I think its good to have a spread package that is pure passing.

Plus like you mentioned indirectly...you really dont see the HS fronts until the MS levels anyway so dont run a HS blocking surface until then.

My take.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
December 4, 2017 4:54 pm  

Talk to or Message MHCoach.  Dead Serious here.

JMHO

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
headtrip
(@headtrip)
Bronze
December 4, 2017 7:21 pm  

10's is still a bit young to think spread only IMHO.

I used to be a spread only coach. Drifted away from that because so many run spread stuff now a day so DC's are better prepared. Now I think its good to have a spread package that is pure passing.

Plus like you mentioned indirectly...you really dont see the HS fronts until the MS levels anyway so dont run a HS blocking surface until then.

My take.

remarkably, the defenses we played against in the tourney were a 4-4 and two 4-3s.  Stranger still, the  4-4 and 4-3s turned into 6-1s  playing man, with two DE/OLB types blitzing hard off the edge. Very effective defense if your timing isn't down. Big gamble though, when we did open a hole in the defense,make that one defender miss and it was off to the races. scored a couple of 60yd tds like that.

I'm not sure now what to run next year. I'm pretty sure i will have an athletic team, but i don't think i'll have any big fullback types. I had hoped going to the spread would be the best use of their talents, but like you said, i don't think they're old enough to go all spread all the time. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
December 4, 2017 7:27 pm  

remarkably, the defenses we played against in the tourney were a 4-4 and two 4-3s.  Stranger still, the  4-4 and 4-3s turned into 6-1s  playing man, with two DE/OLB types blitzing hard off the edge. Very effective defense if your timing isn't down. Big gamble though, when we did open a hole in the defense,make that one defender miss and it was off to the races. scored a couple of 60yd tds like that.

I'm not sure now what to run next year. I'm pretty sure i will have an athletic team, but i don't think i'll have any big fullback types. I had hoped going to the spread would be the best use of their talents, but like you said, i don't think they're old enough to go all spread all the time.

Just keep a good TE in the mix and you should be fine.

Spread too me means two SE's and a slot.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Share: