Notifications

Naked off a Stretch Fake  

Page 5 / 5
  RSS

CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
February 14, 2015 8:14 am  

we ran a belly series dominant offense consisting of 23/24 belly, fake 23/24-belly sweep, and fake belly-belly counter. Our PAP by design was SUPPOSE to be to same side as the Fbs 23 or 24. Our QB/receivers coach was constantly at odds with me on this and had QB boot other way.
He was apparently talking to a I coach "friend" of his. My FB was at 4 to 5 yds from LOS pending his speed. This meant QB was closer to LOS trying to boot around a unblocked DE. I kept telling QB coach its a reverse pivot fake to FB pull up 3 steps, settle and fire to the receiver behind the LBs, who all came up to stop the 23 or 24 belly.

The QB receivers coach said "oh yah thats another thing,we have to skip that reverse pivot thing its just slowing down the boot pass and the QB is having footwork problems selling the fake and getting around the DE"  Of course I responded, after informing this coach multiple times to stop changing up my backfield action.."yah no shit coach quit fugin up my backfield"

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
February 16, 2015 9:51 am  

OCD

Belly Pass definitely isn't a boot. It originally was designed from the fullhouse T with a reverse pivot & a full ride fake. I teams usually modify it to an open lead full ride. Either way, it's a 5 step drop after the fake. Never a boot or roll. I would have had to have a sit down with your QB coach, I can guarantee it would have been interesting.

joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
February 16, 2015 12:52 pm  

OCD

Belly Pass definitely isn't a boot. It originally was designed from the full house T with a reverse pivot & a full ride fake. I teams usually modify it to an open lead full ride. Either way, it's a 5 step drop after the fake. Never a boot or roll. I would have had to have a sit down with your QB coach, I can guarantee it would have been interesting.

joe
[/quote

he did not like the reverse pivot, so anything off of the reverse pivot was likewise disliked eg he didn't like the entire belly series..aka 75% of our offense!

IMO the belly pass was/is a great play....ride n pop to the TE right behind the LB. For me I would fake a run to the same side as either my wing or TE and pass vs that same side OLB...The I PAP is opposite, you fake one way and QB rolls or at least pulls up facing the other. The belly forces the same side LB to play either the run or the receiver running by him...TE or wing would look like they were coming at him to block - giving the standard run read, once he steps up to beat block, EVERY LB will, then my wing or TE are now wide open.

The only way he could make his point that the reverse pivot, belly, belly counter, belly sweep and the belly PAP sucked...would be, during practice to inform the defensive coach if we were running or passing, and the direction we were going, this was by hand signal...this of course in the belly would alert the OLB to either play run or pass thus ruin the play...not to mention the whole D knew what we were doing.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
February 17, 2015 11:24 am  

Joe - we ran naked off stretch last year (from pistol) - something I stole from Mountjoy actually.

Worked very well but as we discussed last week, I like your way better (running off Zone with the pro sliding TO the boot - we did the opposite, blocked / faked it just like stretch right then QB fakes and boots left.

Was very deceptive but you can also put your QB in some tougher situations and against youth defenses, I honestly think your way works better.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze
June 23, 2016 11:34 pm  

I think it would work better in youth as long as you are realistic with the routes.

The youth D-lineman will most likely get caught up in the wash
The line backers will probably follow the back

As long as the qb has some sort of 5 yard dump off running into the flat off the naked (H back, backdoor tight end, etc.) He should be fine.

Tbh I would have one boot protection and one boot only, especially at the youth level.

The kids on the field will not be able to tell the difference between the outside and inside zone blocks anyway, all they will see is flow, and a good back fake.
So if you run a fake jet and you can DEFINITELY get away with a fake inside zone blocking scheme instead of an outside zone one. (especially when an over eager opposing coach is yelling "WATCH SWEEP! WATCH SWEEP!")

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share: