Notifications

Slow/middle screens? Help  

RSS

morris
(@morris)
Platinum
November 22, 2016 3:15 pm  

Ok I'm looking to add either a middle screen or slow screen. Anyone use this a part of their offense? I'm looking to learn how to coach it and practice it.

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
November 22, 2016 5:07 pm  

Mo

I have had great success running our screen. Here is the youth team running it:

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 22, 2016 5:52 pm  

I'd show you ours on here, but they're all in Hudl and I have no idea how to post 'em.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
November 23, 2016 3:58 am  

Dave: I've got hudl and can exchange film

Joe: I've got to figure out how to coach and drill it. There are a lot of yards out there for us if we can get good at it.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 23, 2016 4:44 am  

See if this works:

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 23, 2016 4:48 am  

There are a lot of yards out there for us if we can get good at it.

What age group?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
DC
November 23, 2016 4:55 am  

I remember calling Joe one day and telling him my OC wanted to install middle screen and asking if he had any tips. I still use this method of teaching it, and this is a direct quote. "First thing you do get take your biggest, toughest kid. Pull him off to side and tell him when the ball is snapped, I want you to run over there as fast as you can and knock the shit out of the OC."

Needless to say, we used slow screen to the TB (like Joe's video) (works really well if you use slide protection a lot) and played around with Rocket to #2 (like DP's video) but never ran it in a game.

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
November 23, 2016 5:36 am  

What age group?

--Dave

MS so I have an 8th grade team and a 7th/6th grade combined team. We practice at the same time.

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
November 23, 2016 5:43 am  

I've run the crap out of the TFS 50/40s before. I just don't have experience with the slow screen. We ran middle screen in HS of course there was always a little risk.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
November 23, 2016 10:19 am  

Mo

A simple phone call can fix all of that.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
November 23, 2016 10:26 am  

DP

We call that screen Bubble Return, we block it exactly like Rocket. That still falls  under Fast Screen category for us. Slow Screens are different & we run several. Code Name Turtle, actually this season everyone followed our TB so we ran one where we faked Flare to the TB & hid our Z coming across.

One  thing about Slow Screens that is an important Coaching Point. Most Slow Screens are tackled from behind, we always have our Center peel block.

Joe

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
November 23, 2016 1:31 pm  

Mo

A simple phone call can fix all of that.

Joe

I'll take you up on that. Once we get through thanksgiving if that works for you.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
November 23, 2016 2:16 pm  

Mo

Of course!

Joe

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
January 6, 2017 1:36 pm  

I've had a little bit of success with these type of screens myself.  I'll be happy to walk anyone through the various coaching points - just PM me for my number.  Probably the biggest thing that most coaches don't get is that you have to think of slow screens as misdirections plays - far too many players (and coaches) are in a rush to get the ball to the RB. It really pays off to take your time and sell the idea that you're throwing the ball deep in the other direction and then come off to the screen at the last possible second - likewise for the linemen, they have to really block for real for at least a full count before heading out to lead the screen.  Nothing will doom a screen faster than the linemen heading out immediately at the snap and the QB staring down the RB. Also, like Joe, we have the center peel back for any trailing DL.

Here is a video of nothing but slow screens (from the late 2000s):

Here is a video of nothing but throwback screens (which are just a type of slow screens):

These are a little more recent, but all are highlight videos, so the screen plays are intermixed throughout:

(the only slow screen is at 5:16)

(the first slow screen is at 1:33 - there are a total of 4 in this collection)

(there's only 2 slow screens in this video, but they're back-to-back starting at 8:10)

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Share: