Notifications

spread vs 3-4...pass and run blocking  

RSS

CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
August 18, 2015 8:38 am  

we are zone as a base, covered, uncovered double to LB, OK vs 43, works perfect, our boys are doing well. NOW enter the 34, its a wiff-blocking in waiting, with the jumpin around, feinting, slanting stunting, constant movement to confuse O line.

so from your basic 1x3, 3x1 or 2x2 formations how does your team handle the 34 when...

-running between the tackles
-running off tackle
-running outside
-option (any)
-pass pro

OC

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 18, 2015 8:55 am  

Well your blocking technique should swallow and lime staunt. (Did not say lb stunt)

Aiming points and hand are important...we always try to grab with playside hand and strike or club with backside hand.

Vs a 3-4 in theory you should only have to block a 5-6 man box so numbers wise your fine, run it all. Focus on coaching hung the oline to swallow the stunts

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
August 18, 2015 10:54 am  

For freshmen squad we are kind big (6'2" 245, 6'1" 260, 6'0" 250) and smaller quicker (5'8" 175,  5'7" 180 guards) but my smaller quickers are Idaho, Utah, Nevada and CA champions in youth wrestling...very strong and lean.

My double to LB on IZ was having a hick up vs defensive twists and stunts, I changed personnel and hick up disappeared man Ive got to bring up my 2nds BIGTIME! The drop off between ones and twos IS SOOOO BIG! 

Its this stunt blitz combo that got me thinking of the 3-4 and 3-5 defenses and what a pain the movement, feinting and blitz packages cause. You see a small quick DT against my bigger boys is more problematic than a bigger DT., add on the mental problem of a dancing defensive front = missed blocks!

OCD

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
August 19, 2015 4:53 am  

You need to walk through the stunts...this is where people argue with me about "checking" and climbing vs combo and release.

On snap 2 lineman step toward a 1st level defender, 1 releases but how.
-----------b2
------#---0---0

So both right guard and tackle step to the 4 tech. The tackle has him based on the count or coverage vs un cov.

The right guard before he climbs to second level checks for an inside move from the playside down lineman.

If inside move comes he takes over and the past climbs
If theres no inside move it's like you draw it up.

Tight zone needs to hit in 2 steps.

2 steps for qb, and rb exchange after 2 steps lineman climb. This sync makes it a hard play to stop as the ball hits Los as lineman go second level (ideal).

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
somecoach
(@coach-tony)
Bronze
June 23, 2016 10:47 pm  

VERY highly debated task at the high school level (the reason I like playing odd front defense), but I will give my $0.02.

On power/counter I would lock the play side tackle to the head up defensive end.
If he slants in? block him in, if he slants out block him out.
Keep fullback on the same kickout block path, he will go outside the block in, or inside the tackle kicking out the end
The pulling guard will follow suit and clean up the trash

As ANY zone blocking (inside, outside, pass pro), it comes down to practice, WORK THOSE COMBOS!!!

As for trap, I would double the nose and kickout the head up defensive end, even if they slant the run, the unblocked linebacker will be to far outside the kickout to get to the back

ReplyQuote
Share: