Notifications

Tunnel Screen (or at least what i call it)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
March 1, 2018 5:24 am  

So I was watching the D2 championship game back in December...and they ran a play that I am going to call a "tunnel" screen, that they had some really good success with, the first time they ran it, it went for a long TD.

It seemed very simple, and I think I can run it with my Dawgs.

They started off in Bunch Left, and threw a fast pass to the outside guy in the bunch (I think), who then came back inside, behind the other two bunch receivers, and took it into the middle of the field, if memory serves, the Oline was run blocking on the play, maybe zone to the side the ball was thrown too.

As it was on ESPN3 or something, they showed the replay, but, I have slept since then.

So I am wanting to draw it up for the fall...

I am thinking that the two receivers not getting the ball, would attack the defenders aligned with the Bunch, trying to pin them outside. The receiver on the back side, would work into the middle of the field and block. The Oline would zone step to the bunch side, maybe sifting the Dline and trying to get on the LBs/DBs? F would come through the line and try and get on a backer?

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
March 1, 2018 5:46 am  

So I was watching the D2 championship game back in December...and they ran a play that I am going to call a "tunnel" screen, that they had some really good success with, the first time they ran it, it went for a long TD.

It seemed very simple, and I think I can run it with my Dawgs.

They started off in Bunch Left, and threw a fast pass to the outside guy in the bunch (I think), who then came back inside, behind the other two bunch receivers, and took it into the middle of the field, if memory serves, the Oline was run blocking on the play, maybe zone to the side the ball was thrown too.

As it was on ESPN3 or something, they showed the replay, but, I have slept since then.

So I am wanting to draw it up for the fall...

I am thinking that the two receivers not getting the ball, would attack the defenders aligned with the Bunch, trying to pin them outside. The receiver on the back side, would work into the middle of the field and block. The Oline would zone step to the bunch side, maybe sifting the Dline and trying to get on the LBs/DBs? F would come through the line and try and get on a backer?

Our team perfected this play in practice then never ran it in the games....that I can remember.

I call it Missile. Really good play design from bunch. Difficult to execute because the receiver is driving to that ball. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
March 1, 2018 5:52 am  

Our team perfected this play in practice then never ran it in the games....that I can remember.

I call it Missile. Really good play design from bunch. Difficult to execute because the receiver is driving to that ball.

Am I looking in the right direction for the blocking?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
March 1, 2018 6:00 am  

For the OL...we blocked it like a quick hitting draw....ride the defenders up-field for a couple of steps then immediately release up-field. The inside receivers would wall off any defenders inside out. There is no illegal man or illegal blocking downfield because the football is caught behind the LOS. The further the WR is away from the QB pre snap the better. Its actually a tough catch so give the WR a bit more room. Only one of our receivers could do it consistently.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
March 1, 2018 6:30 am  

Rocket(Same Play) is a great play for us. At the Youth level it was killer. Timing & the type of throw are the real keys to getting the play to work. We also throw it off an outside Zone fake.

Don't overthink it, let the WR's run off defenders. Our OLine will release to the side of the Rocket. The key being the DL getting up field. We teach our QB to look opposite the Rocket, then pivot & take a jump shot to the receiver.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
March 1, 2018 6:56 am  

Rocket(Same Play) is a great play for us. At the Youth level it was killer. Timing & the type of throw are the real keys to getting the play to work. We also throw it off an outside Zone fake.

Don't overthink it, let the WR's run off defenders. Our OLine will release to the side of the Rocket. The key being the DL getting up field. We teach our QB to look opposite the Rocket, then pivot & take a jump shot to the receiver.

Joe

I was hoping you'd chime in because this is a really good play design if you can time it all out.

Question...if you let the play-side OL release right away do you have any issues with Defenders pealing off?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
March 1, 2018 7:48 am  

I think we ran it once. This Spring, I'll work on getting the OC to stop squatting when he pees.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
March 1, 2018 7:53 am  

I was hoping you'd chime in because this is a really good play design if you can time it all out.

Question...if you let the play-side OL release right away do you have any issues with Defenders pealing off?

We had that whole miscommunication between "Sally" and "Screen". I was having them immediately climb without touching a D-lineman. That was fine until we installed that reverse that called for "Sally" (ride them up field) blocking. So we came up with another name for what I was doing. Can't remember what we called it. I'll ask our Center in 2 weeks.  ;D

The other thing is that Joe advocated throwing the ball like a basketball free throw. G-man didn't like that, so we were firing the ball at the WR. Lee was the only one who could catch it.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
March 1, 2018 8:00 am  

I think we ran it once. This Spring, I'll work on getting the OC to stop squatting when he pees.

Youz guyz sure had that play down to a science in practice. G-man just needs to trust his playbook. Plus its not like every game was a dogfight either so he had some opportunities to use it with no harm no foul.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
March 1, 2018 8:11 am  

We Stab & Go, so it's not a clean release. In an ideal world  you want the ILB's to see a high hat read & bail. The other difference on Rocket is that we get vertical instead of one side or the other. Bubble or Smoke it's more about getting horizontal, here it's a step or two & go.

We run a drill where we free a defender at the QB having him first face away, then take the jump shot. If the defender blocks the ball he wins. We get real competitive in this drill & have fun.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
March 1, 2018 8:30 am  

We Stab & Go, so it's not a clean release. In an ideal world  you want the ILB's to see a high hat read & bail. The other difference on Rocket is that we get vertical instead of one side or the other. Bubble or Smoke it's more about getting horizontal, here it's a step or two & go.

We run a drill where we free a defender at the QB having him first face away, then take the jump shot. If the defender blocks the ball he wins. We get real competitive in this drill & have fun.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
March 1, 2018 10:10 am  

When I've coached it we'd get the OL to the second level and it was more of an "inside run" to a WR.  We didn't use bunch sets for it, though you certainly could and teams do.

We'd throw the ball to #1.  He'd take a jab step forward for the ball to bait the CB, then pivot back and come back underneath his blockers into the backfield on a "sickle" route.  He needs to come towards the ball a little as the QB will lead him into catching the ball a few yards outside the T so he can run underneath the down blocks of the OL.  It's hard to describe in words, but easy to teach on grass.

For the receivers, it's basically a count system.  #2 kicks out the #1 defender from the sideline (always the CB).  If there's a #3 receiver, he kicks out #2 (often a S).

The OL need to pass set for 2 steps, then release their blocks with a shove and run kind of an arc'ing path to get to the side the screen's going to block the LBs (I believe Hal Mumme calls this part "Elephants on parade").  T will block the first man on the 2nd level outside the T (usually an OLB).  The G will block the next man inside the T (usually the PSLB).  C will block the next man inside the G (likely the MLB or BSLB).  We had the backside G and T simply pass block so the QB didn't have to worry about a hit from his blind side.  We had our backside WRs just run outs (to save their legs) or streaks to clear out defenders.

If you use an offset RB, you can also get him out there helping to block S, or even run it to a single receiver side in Trips with the RB releasing to kick out the CB while the WR comes underneath him in the backfield--I've had a pass happy opponent run this on us in the past and it was a real b!tch to stop.

QB takes the snap and takes a big 1 step drop from the gun or 3 steps from under center and throws a quick touch pass over the rushing DL to the #1 WR, who catches it in stride running in towards the ball and cuts up behind the open field blocks, kind of like a punt return.

That's how we did it, anyway.  With that team, it became sort of a bread and butter "run" play that broke big a bunch of times.  You can also recycle the same blocking scheme for a slow side screen to a RB or fake a run play the opposite way (like a Jet Sweep or Inverted Veer) then come back with the tunnel on the backside.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
March 2, 2018 4:44 am  

Thanks for all the input guys, I am going to play with this a little in the spring practices, and draw it up to use in the Fall. I really do like how this play looks, a lot, hopefully I can teach it 🙂

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
March 2, 2018 5:16 am  

Here's a couple of examples in our WR's highlights from 2 years ago.

Joe

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
March 3, 2018 5:47 am  

Here's some more examples of Rocket:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: