Notifications

Wrist coach help  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
September 29, 2017 5:48 am  

I bought some 3 panel wrist coaches to help my offense become more efficient and to up the temp if we need to. What I need is ideas how to set up the wrist coaches. I am trying to decide do I do just the plays or do I do assignments and plays for the QBs? We only are running 2 formations so I am not worrying about formations but I would like to have motions and plays on there for sure. I admittedly don't have the brightest group, so I mam leaning towards assignments, but I am not sure how to set those up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 29, 2017 6:18 am  

So interesting thing...our first year in spread, and I went with position specific wrist coaches, the QB had 3 panels, one for the plays and the second and third panels were for the assignments of the other ball guys.

In our last game we were slow, we actually got hit with a delay penalty...everyone was staring at the wrist coaches. So this week, I decided, no wrist coaches, they should know by now...so no more "red 0", we would send in the name of the play, Ace Chicago (for example).

Monday I had to miss practice because of a work obligation, but I was told the Oline had no problem without the wrist coaches, but the ball guys struggled. Wednesdays practice, I got to see this first hand...bigs knew what they were doing, ball guys struggling...so I interjected on one play "C'mon guys, it's Houston, stretch" and my QB says "Oh, Blue 5". I was floored. The bigs knew the names of the plays and their assignments, the ball guys knew the wrist coach numbers and their assignments.

So we decided we would let the ball guys keep the wrist coaches and the bigs would go without (so they wouldn't stare at them for 34 seconds). We signal in the blocking scheme to the bigs, the closest receiver gets "Red 0" and brings it to the ball guy huddle.

Anywho....

I have a template full of formulas for the wrist coaches that keeps everything in sync, it uses data validation to populate the cells for the plays and the formulas evaluate the play call and then select the appropriate assignment for each position. PM me, and I will email it to you.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 29, 2017 6:52 am  

We always had assignments. Biggest reason was how much easier installs were. Our kids also knew the plays by blue 5 or whatever as well. We had the play name on it because that almost always contained the blocking scheme (for instance XX counter right). The key is to use short hand that the kids can understand. Trying to write everything out will use too much space. With two formations this is pretty easy. I would warn you about having only two formations. Unless you are very good and technically sound at what you do you become easier to defend from a scouting stand point. Unless of course you incorporate formation tags as well.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 29, 2017 7:05 am  

We just do plays which as Rob says indicate the blocking scheme (eg 22 Power, 47 Counter). We tell the linemen all they have to focus on is the blocking scheme and the direction (even = right, odd = left). The first number and the rest of the verbiage we use (formation, motion, etc.) is for the "pretty boys" as our OL coach likes to call them.

So we'll call out the Formation & Motion by name then call the play by the color / number code to the wrist.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 29, 2017 7:42 am  

We just do plays which as Rob says indicate the blocking scheme (eg 22 Power, 47 Counter). We tell the linemen all they have to focus on is the blocking scheme and the direction (even = right, odd = left). The first number and the rest of the verbiage we use (formation, motion, etc.) is for the "pretty boys" as our OL coach likes to call them.

So we'll call out the Formation & Motion by name then call the play by the color / number code to the wrist.

That was part of how we were able to run so much. Some here have seen us play when I was still with Jeff Miret. Sometimes we looked really grab bag as we ran from so many different sets. Wrist coaches enable you to do more but more importantly disguising the heck out of a few concepts really helps you look much more complicated then you really are. At nationals Jeff said in an interview that we could run over a 100 plays. He was kinda screwing around but the reality is we ran power from about 15 formations. That does not include tags. So we looked crazy complicated. In my mind we really only ran about 6 running plays. We had a section on the panel for each formation and they all basically all had the same plays. Really tiny font.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 29, 2017 7:59 am  

That was part of how we were able to run so much. Some here have seen us play when I was still with Jeff Miret. Sometimes we looked really grab bag as we ran from so many different sets. Wrist coaches enable you to do more but more importantly disguising the heck out of a few concepts really helps you look much more complicated then you really are. At nationals Jeff said in an interview that we could run over a 100 plays. He was kinda screwing around but the reality is we ran power from about 15 formations. That does not include tags. So we looked crazy complicated. In my mind we really only ran about 6 running plays. We had a section on the panel for each formation and they all basically all had the same plays. Really tiny font.

Amen!

We run Joe's Spread - if you look at our play sheet (every play we run from each formation), looks like a TON. Add in motion looks even crazier. But when you break it down, we have 5 core run schemes (will be 6 when we add trap) and even those build off of one another. Have a couple of tags as well but those are just minor adjustments on the 5 core schemes.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
September 29, 2017 9:35 am  

We always had assignments. Biggest reason was how much easier installs were. Our kids also knew the plays by blue 5 or whatever as well. We had the play name on it because that almost always contained the blocking scheme (for instance XX counter right). The key is to use short hand that the kids can understand. Trying to write everything out will use too much space. With two formations this is pretty easy. I would warn you about having only two formations. Unless you are very good and technically sound at what you do you become easier to defend from a scouting stand point. Unless of course you incorporate formation tags as well.

We motion into "formations". I plan on using motion pretty much every play and using motions that are play important and sometimes as a distraction.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
September 29, 2017 10:05 am  

My QB wears two wrist coaches for our 56 plays.  I had no idea I could run Wedge so many different ways....

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 29, 2017 10:15 am  

The beauty of Joe's O is that the way the sets are broken down - 2x2 and 3x1 Tight, Wide & Balanced - simple Z Trade motion will get you from any 2x2 set to the 3x1 corresponding (ie Tight, Balanced or Wide) set and vice versa.

In the balanced & wide sets you can do the same with H as well (H Trade from 2x2 set) to get to your 3x1 Flip formation (can't do in Tight sets bc H has to be inside of Z).

We don't use it every play bc so much of what we do revolves around tempo but it's another tool in our belt to keep teams off balance.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
September 29, 2017 11:17 am  

I bought some 3 panel wrist coaches to help my offense become more efficient and to up the temp if we need to. What I need is ideas how to set up the wrist coaches. I am trying to decide do I do just the plays or do I do assignments and plays for the QBs? We only are running 2 formations so I am not worrying about formations but I would like to have motions and plays on there for sure. I admittedly don't have the brightest group, so I mam leaning towards assignments, but I am not sure how to set those up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, you can do either one.

If you want to break down the assignments, it's going to be a lot more work and there's more room for errors on the band that screw things up.  Even if you put assignments on there, kids will sometimes look at the wrong number.  We've had that experience with HS kids...

My preference would be to put formation, motion, and play on there, along with any tag.  That way you just yell in "#32" or whatever, they look at the band, get set, and go.  It also prevents you from accidentally calling something from a formation where it doesn't really work that well, like trying to run a Jet Sweep to the weakside of trips with no lead blocker for the force player.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold
September 29, 2017 11:29 am  

It also prevents you from accidentally calling something from a formation where it doesn't really work that well, like trying to run a Jet Sweep to the weakside of trips with no lead blocker for the force player.

This is a legit concern. However I train my backs to tell me on the rare occasion that I send in a play that makes no sense (ie a formation / play pairing we wouldn't normally run).

At first I thought that might be too much to ask but it's amazing how focused they are when they have a chance to tell Coach he F'd up  😛

We would prob need 6 wrist bands per player to get all of the possible play / formation / tag pairings so not really feasible for us.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
September 29, 2017 11:32 am  

We motion into "formations". I plan on using motion pretty much every play and using motions that are play important and sometimes as a distraction.

Don't forget to have a quick series. Motion sucks in a two minute offense.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
September 30, 2017 9:48 am  

...we would send in the name of the play, Ace Chicago (for example).

..."C'mon guys, it's Houston, stretch"...

There's a bunch of different ways to use wrist coach's.  If your guys are having a tough time, go to the simplest method; one number, one play.

Another bit of advice if you believe in the KISS method, cut down the syllables in your plays - less chance of miscommunication.  Ace Chicago = 4 syllables.  Houston stretch = 3.  Both way too much.

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
December 5, 2017 5:59 pm  

When I coached youth, I used the following system.  Call in/signal in formation and motions.  I used a play calling sheet that listed every formation/motion we used for each play as well as the cell references for where it was on the wrist band.  The wrist band itself was 6 columns (labelled with letters "A" through "F") and 15 rows (labelled with numerals 1-15).  I simply yelled in the cell reference using military codes to avoid confusion, so B-3 was "Bravo-3".  All of our plays were one word (two words at the most - e.g. Sweep, Trap, Power, Counter, Sail, Shallow, 4-Verts, Stick, etc.)  The plays were all color-coded: Green-Runs, Light Blue-Drop Back Pass, Dark Blue-Quick Game Pass, Orange-Screens, and Red-specials (Freeze/No Play, QB Sneak, any Gadget plays, and anything we put in for just that week).  Also, most runs had a pass concept in Purple in the same cell, which meant that if the cell was tagged with any color starting with the letter "P" (Purple, Pink, Puisse), it meant that we were faking the run play and throwing a play-action pass.  So, if the cell C-6 was "ISZ/Smash" (with ISZ in Green and Smash in Purple), and I called "Deuces Hearts Charlie-6 Pink", we were faking ISZ and throwing Smash.

We had maybe 25 plays, and there were 90 cells on the wrist band, so each play was on there 3 or 4 times with room left for specials and a handful of unused names (Viper, Raptor, etc.) so I could add stuff without having to make new wristbands.  If I called a play 4 times in a game, it would get a different cell reference each time - as far as I know, no opponent ever deciphered what we were doing at all.

I know it sounds really complicated, but it wasn't - my 8th graders never had a problem with it - we used that system for several years and I don't ever remember a player getting the play call wrong (I'm sure it happened, but it definitely wasn't a regular problem).  I did a write up on it for my coaches, so if you're interested, PM me and I'll try to find that for you - I'll be happy to share it (assuming I can find it - I've had some computer failures so I'm not 100% sure I can find it, but I think I can).

The system we use at the high school is far simpler - columns are identified by colors and each column has the same type of play (runs, quick game, drop back, screens, etc.).  Each play is only on the wristband once.  Pretty basic.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
December 6, 2017 1:26 am  

We've used a bunch of different ways to send in plays.  We started with play runners - always humorous when the play you "thought" you sent in didn't resemble what was actually run on the field.

Tried the card system (letters numbers on a card matched the play on a wrist band) - too messy having someone have to fumble with that many cards.

Wrist bands were used mostly last few years.  My preference is for everyone to have a wristband and call the play out from the sideline to eliminate the huddle. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: