Notifications

your EDDs in the spread  

RSS

Popcoach11
(@popcoach11)
Bronze
March 7, 2016 1:14 pm  

Those of u who run the spread, what ever type of spread you run, what are your EDDs for the skills and the lineman?

coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
March 7, 2016 4:29 pm  

Since we focus on offense during the majority of our practice time, we focus on defense in our EDDs.  So our EDDs consist of about 7 minutes on each of the following:

- Dynamic Stretching/Warm-Up (hopefully this is self explanatory)
- Position Specific Warm-Ups (Agility Ladders and Duck Demeanor for Linemen, and Settle & Noose for backs/receivers)
- Defensive Pursuit Drill
- Tackling Circuit

Everything else varies practice to practice depending on what we need to work on, install, or otherwise improve.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze
March 8, 2016 1:46 am  

Since we focus on offense during the majority of our practice time, we focus on defense in our EDDs.  So our EDDs consist of about 7 minutes on each of the following:

- Dynamic Stretching/Warm-Up (hopefully this is self explanatory)
- Position Specific Warm-Ups (Agility Ladders and Duck Demeanor for Linemen, and Settle & Noose for backs/receivers)
- Defensive Pursuit Drill
- Tackling Circuit

Everything else varies practice to practice depending on what we need to work on, install, or otherwise improve.

Doug, what is duck demeanor, settle & noose and what do you do for LB/DE?

Team work: good as gold

ReplyQuote
morris
(@morris)
Platinum
March 8, 2016 2:13 am  

Duck demeanor is practicing small power steps with a good leg bend, weight on the inside of the foot and short steps. Look at zone practice clips and you'll see the OL do it.

Settle and Noose is where you sit two cones about 5 yards apart. The rec high knees under control to one and sticks his foot in the ground. He either settles at that cone, retraces and settles at the cone he started from or returns and settles in the middle. Look on YouTube for Mike Leach's university of Kentucky drill tape. It shows it. The QB takes a nice easy drop and works his feet till
The WR settles.

We do pat and go which has the rec run about half to 3/4 speed and the QB takes a drop and throws. We work our Advantage routes which are specific to our offense (the term not the routes are). Stalk blocking. Screens. Seam read. Still drill which has the rec line up at
The end or close to the end of the route and the QB throws on time. It is similar to routes on air.

OL works through their blocking progression with first, second and finish steps. They do the cage drill which is for screens. We work three come for pass protection.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold
DC
March 8, 2016 5:12 am  

We do lots of the the stuff other mentioned.

We also work on reads and handoffs daily. While the backs and QB's work those, the receivers and corners do the Juke Box drill (attached below).

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
March 8, 2016 8:08 am  

Duck demeanor is practicing small power steps with a good leg bend, weight on the inside of the foot and short steps. Look at zone practice clips and you'll see the OL do it.

Settle and Noose is where you sit two cones about 5 yards apart. The rec high knees under control to one and sticks his foot in the ground. He either settles at that cone, retraces and settles at the cone he started from or returns and settles in the middle. Look on YouTube for Mike Leach's university of Kentucky drill tape. It shows it. The QB takes a nice easy drop and works his feet till
The WR settles.

We do pat and go which has the rec run about half to 3/4 speed and the QB takes a drop and throws. We work our Advantage routes which are specific to our offense (the term not the routes are). Stalk blocking. Screens. Seam read. Still drill which has the rec line up at
The end or close to the end of the route and the QB throws on time. It is similar to routes on air.

OL works through their blocking progression with first, second and finish steps. They do the cage drill which is for screens. We work three come for pass protection.

Morris nailed it.  We also do Pat-n-Go as a pregame warmup and an occasional change of pace instead of Settle & Noose (like once every 2 or 3 weeks).

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
March 8, 2016 8:11 am  

Doug, what is duck demeanor, settle & noose and what do you do for LB/DE?

Morris did a good job describing Duck Demeanor and Settle & Noose.  LB/DE (and all defensive positions) get EDD work in our Pursuit Drill and Tackling Circuit. We have plenty of other drills we do for those position groups, but none of them are everyday drills.  The things I mentioned are literally drills that we do to start every single practice.

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze
March 9, 2016 4:02 am  

Morris nailed it.  We also do Pat-n-Go as a pregame warmup and an occasional change of pace instead of Settle & Noose (like once every 2 or 3 weeks).

what is pat and go?
Also do you have any video clips of settle & noose

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
March 9, 2016 4:24 am  

The Mike Leech KY videos referenced above can be found here: 

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
March 9, 2016 5:47 am  

what is pat and go?
Also do you have any video clips of settle & noose

Pat-n-Go:

Settle & Noose:

ReplyQuote
WBCoach
(@rstockwell)
Bronze
March 9, 2016 6:50 am  

Thanks guys. As I transition from ubsw to spread these are the little nuggets that will help me.

ReplyQuote
Cadell
(@cadell)
Bronze
March 9, 2016 7:11 am  

Jim McNally and the Duck demeanor drill.

ReplyQuote
Share: