Notifications
Clear all

Youth Spread Offense

Page 2 / 3

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

we ran the spread due to the same type of kids...

our qb could not throw the slant, but he could throw the bubble, the wheel, the curl, and the cross (mesh) ahha

we ran 80% of the time...no one for the first 9 games did not align right on my wr's, the championship game they figured out my WR's were my mmp kids and hense double covered my se's

now we caught that and put studs in wr and switched them this worked but too little too late

BE SURE TO USE SAB blocking from DAY one we went from scoring 2 touchdowns a game to four once we changed blocking from gap on to SAB...plus its simple "trap left" well all my lineman are tracking opposite the call and the tackle opposite the call is pulling.

BE SURE YOU HAVE A RUNNING QB- we had more success with our fb as qb running, keep, and follow, with out those plays you are just running a fancy one back offense

throw the bubble to more then on posistion

run jet sweep, then run jet opposite the call

hmmm you need help PM me ill also give you the "wild bull" haha, our quads and empty packages and series...combined at the end of our season our play list had over 70 plays possible...including the devastating "dubba bubba" series

ive helped a lot out...

ps want my game film... ill give you 6 games of film for a 20$ gift card to the movies.im an avid movie gower 😉

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

these are my boys from last year:

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Coach Mike, any wisdom you can impart would be greatly appreciated.  My skill position kids are select baseball types.  Team speed is a problem but they do have athletic ability.

I'd start here with 5th graders...thats 10 year olds right? Im old. Its a good responsible first time Spread Offense based off of Ted Seays Wild Bunch offense...and why we called it the Wild Bunch Lite.

Run alot of sweeps and reverses out of the Empty formation with the Superback (S) lined up as a slot to the playside so he can stalk block for his buddies instead of lead blocking for him out of the backfield and running right by defenders. Call him the Superback too...the smurfs dig it.

The only thing you have to be really really really good at is your QB / Slot ( L & R ) mesh. Do that and the defense will tackle the QB every time...then when they dont... call the keep. Teach him to sell that fake and never look back at the play.

This playbook is designed so that Y and X are your least talented players...your slots ( L and R ) are your studs and your Superback is a FB type. QB needs to throw it 5-7 yards when required.  QB always boots away from the last man he meshes with.

The Counters are beautiful and the passing simple. The unbalanced line is unique and will mess with every defense. The formation is really hard to align too for this age group.

I hate reverses but in this offense they are bread and butter plays because all handoffs happen between the tackles.

The line only learns a couple of blocking schemes but with two OT's to one side you will have advantages for passing and pulling. No lead pulling...all kickout stuff so its easy. Your Long Guard...guard to the twin OT side and your Center are your best linemen.

No silly hole numbering system or back numbering system...I dont believe in that stuff...fully. Alignments and splits adjust to your talent. You can create your own as you make mid season discoveries because defense WILL line up all funky.

Fun offense. We ran this one season with 9 year olds and went 8-2 getting absolutley hammered in the conference championship game because of our inability to punt well caught up with us...we didnt really need to punt all season long and then suddenly we did...and that was our death.

I would consider that team average talent wise. QB only played QB that one year. By the time he was an 8th graders he was the best WR in the league. He had wheels but was an average passer.

Good luck. Coaching points are included. If you need coaching advise for this offense let me know. 

Coach Mike

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

opps...double quote post thing...its late.

Coach Mike

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

the attached is i think an update on the one i posted before...not sure...but either way another look

again please change the blocking assignments to Show SAB/TKO

main run series should be tackle trap...i beleive when my OC was out on buisness in a scrimmage i called trap left 15 times with different looks gashedem 90% of the time for 5 plus 10% no less then 2 yards

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Big Nut

Good stuff...as usual.

Coach Mike

ReplyQuote
mzelsmannjr
(@mzelsmannjr)
Copper

Spread works fine at this level if you plan to run out of it. We ran it last year, made the playoffs, lost to the league runner-up. If I were running a spread o this year it would be the one BC posted (no offense, Mike, I haven't read yours yet) mainly because it's distilled, not random the way ours was. It's very well thought out with good simple blocking rules.

You need a good fb, your slots should be wb types, and the run game works best when you are willing and able to complete a few passes, especially early.

Ogden Tigers Jr. Midgets (7th grade)   www.wffl.com

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

(no offense, Mike, I haven't read yours yet)

None taken...ever. It is what it is. Whatever scratches the itch  ;D

Coach Mike

ReplyQuote
LPcoachchuck
(@lpcoachchuck)
Copper
Topic starter  

I have the youthfootballguru DVD's and will SAB from jump street.  I'll take some time today while I'm supposed to be working and check out Coach Mike's "Wild Bunch" package and see what "scratches the itch". 

Thanks to all for the help and constructive criticism.  I've been lurking around this site for a few weeks and find it to be the single most usefull tool I have found in my very short time coaching. 

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Coach Chuck, You said your HC will not go for SW or DW? Does he know these offenses bring to the table? You said he likes the SPREAD? Well IMHO both of those offenses (SW DW)bring a nice passing game and a hell of a running game. SW goes from tight formation to JET . DW goes from tight to PISTOL,counters sweeps,and a OH YEA PASS.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
belebuch
(@belebuch)
Diamond

Not to offend but your HC sounds like the other coaches in my league. Being as if he doesnt see it on tv he isnt interested. Imo Show him some clips of the UBSW and DW in action and see if that opens him up to change.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Not to offend but your HC sounds like the other coaches in my league. Being as if he doesnt see it on tv he isnt interested. Imo Show him some clips of the UBSW and DW in action and see if that opens him up to change.

B

I love the spread offenses but have to admit that I get really tired of the College Bowl season.

This spread vrs that spread vrs another spread.

It was refreshing to watch Alabama win all the marbles running a good old fashion offense. It was exciting to watch UT's Freshemen QB nearly pull out the upset but other than than....UT...yaaawn. Its really over done now.

Coach Mike

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

Coach Mike,doyou think the SPREAD will last for a long time.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Coach Mike,doyou think the SPREAD will last for a long time.

The Wishbone craze didnt... so I'd have to say no. Things change progress recycle I suppose.

I saw Joe Paterno on Charlie Rose a few years back. He credits Mac Brown for saving his career right after UT won the National Title with V Young.

Penn State had fallen into mediocrity so Coach Brown being an old time friend realized the Joe Pa must go whispers had become pretty loud. So he invited the entire Penn Sate staff to Austin and opened everything up to them.

The next season Penn State had a top 5 finish in the Nation.

Coach Mike

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

WOW!!! Thats awesome. Gotta love that.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: