Notifications
Clear all

2 more years!

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

So I dedicated to this group of kids that I would see them through 8th Grade season.  That's this season and next.  I will step aside as Header!  I will be more than willing to be an Assistant for another squad but, at 57 (2 years from now) it will be time for a younger man to step up and take the reigns.  Its time for someone else to take the mantle and develop his "Coaching Personality". 

I haven't lost the passion but, I am long in the tooth!  I grow ever weary of Politics and Behind the Scenes stuff.  It's time for me to have fun coaching and not worry about the aforementioned!  I wanna be the Minion!  Is that wrong??? 

;D 😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

No, it's not wrong. I have been offered a bunch of header positions and never gave even one a second thought. The reasoning was I hate the non football bs that I see each and every header out there goes through. That bs is not why I got into coaching. I have seen that stuff ruin a bunch of good youth coaches who decided they just didn't feel they should have to deal with that crap.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I am in a similar boat, but I am younger than you.  My youngest is heading into 7th grade and I will see his team through 8th.

My problem is not the politics of coaching, so I might even consider coaching some young kids afterwards. It is the politics of being on the Board too.  I spend too much time and too much energy dealing with stuff that is a waste of time.  I will quit the Boards that I am on in 2 years and won't look back. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

So I dedicated to this group of kids that I would see them through 8th Grade season.  That's this season and next.  I will step aside as Header!  I will be more than willing to be an Assistant for another squad but, at 57 (2 years from now) it will be time for a younger man to step up and take the reigns.  Its time for someone else to take the mantle and develop his "Coaching Personality". 

I haven't lost the passion but, I am long in the tooth!  I grow ever weary of Politics and Behind the Scenes stuff.  It's time for me to have fun coaching and not worry about the aforementioned!  I wanna be the Minion!  Is that wrong??? 

;D 😉

LOL

I will be a HC for the first time in a dozen years this Season and I am not the least bit happy about it.  >:(

I was also a Chicken Head on and off for many years. What blew my mind is that the League I am currently involved with has been in business for 70 some years. How they made it this far is a mystery.

I get where you are coming from.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I'm done after this year too. My son heads off to high school next year. Too much politics from coaches wanting to do their own thing when we already have a plan in place. Got a header who is worried about Tshirts, smoke machines and inflatable tunnels to run through rather than leaving that to the board and focusing on coaching his team. As if a head coach doesn't already have enough to worry about.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I'm done after this year too. My son heads off to high school next year. Too much politics from coaches wanting to do their own thing when we already have a plan in place. Got a header who is worried about Tshirts, smoke machines and inflatable tunnels to run through rather than leaving that to the board and focusing on coaching his team. As if a head coach doesn't already have enough to worry about.

I was driving to a scrimmage last night with my son and he wanted to play in a Stadium.  He wanted to go through a tunnel to start the game.  I was telling him that I will bring a tarp and put it over a tailgating tent for him.  That is all that you get. 

He did not like that idea, so I asked him about the team that came to our house last year with banners and flags that they ran across the field with.  Looked great.  Then we went out and kicked their ass 40-12.  I told him that I would prefer that we spend our time and money on practice equipment and tools to make the team play better, not look better. He stopped talking after that.  😛

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I was driving to a scrimmage last night with my son and he wanted to play in a Stadium.  He wanted to go through a tunnel to start the game.  I was telling him that I will bring a tarp and put it over a tailgating tent for him.  That is all that you get. 

He did not like that idea, so I asked him about the team that came to our house last year with banners and flags that they ran across the field with.  Looked great.  Then we went out and kicked their ass 40-12.  I told him that I would prefer that we spend our time and money on practice equipment and tools to make the team play better, not look better. He stopped talking after that.  😛

Now imagine having that conversation with a 40+ year old man instead of your son. Guy doesn't get it. We don't allow individual teams to freelance and do their own thing when it comes to apparel or uniforms. We do this to maintain untiy and uniformity from our youngest team to our oldest. If we do a shirt its available to all. When we order uniforms we get the best we can afford and we provide the same jersey to all of our teams. We don't cut corners on equipment for our boys. But this guy has always wanted to operate outside of those rules we have in place. Its frustrating that I cant go to the field and enjoy myself while I serve the families of our organization because I have to deal with knuckleheads like this.

To do what ought to be done but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Now imagine having that conversation with a 40+ year old man instead of your son. Guy doesn't get it. We don't allow individual teams to freelance and do their own thing when it comes to apparel or uniforms. We do this to maintain untiy and uniformity from our youngest team to our oldest. If we do a shirt its available to all. When we order uniforms we get the best we can afford and we provide the same jersey to all of our teams. We don't cut corners on equipment for our boys. But this guy has always wanted to operate outside of those rules we have in place. Its frustrating that I cant go to the field and enjoy myself while I serve the families of our organization because I have to deal with knuckleheads like this.

I think Potter freelances.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

I think Potter freelances.

I am sure DP does. But this guy aint DP. If he were then we'd probably just copy everything he's doing and allow him to run our football program. I cant even get guys like him to realize that they have to keep learning as coaches to help the kids grow as young men and as players.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Guys this wasn't meant as a complaint.  Over the years, I have been blessed with great kids and wonderfully supportive parents.  No it hasn't been all Champagne and Caviar but, the notable "Speed Bumps" haven't overwhelmed the other 99%.  I'll take a Porter House and a Good Dark Beer over the Bubbly and Fish Eggs.  8)

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachJR267
(@coachjoel)
Silver

It wasn't really meant as a complaint on my end either. 80-90% of my org is made up of terrific parents and kids. Its the other 10-20% that I have to spend and inordinate amount of time on and its usually the adults and not the kids. I'm just ready to be a dad again.

ReplyQuote
Share: