Notifications
Clear all

Captains

CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold
Topic starter  

How does everyone choose their captains?  I chose 4 new captains for each game last year, but am thinking about doing 2 permanent captains and then adding 2 more captains each week based on performance.

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

ReplyQuote
mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze

I tell em if the want to be a captain its gonna be the 3 that busted their tail the hardest in practice that week. Now I take into account the naturals that you would normally pick every time. The ones that ALWAYS give 100% and I will choose one or two out of that group, but if I see one or two  of the others giving me an exceptional practice, I'm going to reward him for that. Incentive is a great motivator.

Phillipians 4:13

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

My Center is always a captain, as he was tonight.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

I always pull at least two from the line.  My QB.  And then the 2 hardest workers.  This year it will be my LT, LG, RG, QB & TE. 

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze

Team vote. Just announced the captains tonight. If I didn't like the selections I would have changed but the kids voted for who I thought deserved it.

ReplyQuote
GP
 GP
(@gpenn44)
Gold

i let the team pick 4 then have a coaches' choice 5th pick each week (hardest worker).

worked out perfectly this year - exact four kids i would've picked myself - four hardest working guys.

only 2 of the top 5 players talent-wise were picked.

"Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated." - Lou Holtz

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Team vote. Just announced the captains tonight. If I didn't like the selections I would have changed

If you change their pick, then why let them choose?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We pick a few each game. It is usually based on who had the best week in practice.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

http://www.coaches-clinic.com/index.php/clinics/general-coaching-clinics/39-team-building-through-regiments

Mahonz,

Almost got into bed before Midnight this week, but bought this and then watched.

Going into this season, I was planning on having 4th Graders, had built a staff and was beginning to meet regularly and was planning on implementing a lot of your advice given here (from cruising the board) number didn't come in. Numbers came in for 5/6 age and I threw my hat in the ring to coach them. Simply put it is hard work. How much did you guys back off on this stuff when you ran it w/ 1st Graders? Not every practice but probably 1 in 3, I find myself having to back off a bit, I've been ramping up the intensity/accountability/ownership each season. Last night was one of those nights. Had to take a deep breath or 40.

We are trying to settle into a regiment but it has been tough, so much to cover with them and one explanation will not do it so a 10 minute session can easily turn into 30, etc. I feel we are just about at a point where we have covered the basics - Can reasonably line up and run a play (3 plays in), understand the basics of the game, 80% sure we've got the positions right etc. So I'm trying to settle into a routine etc. We didn't run it from Day 1 and we've had ups and downs, school starting took about a week to adjust to for them.

We Sumo'ed for Captains this week and ran promise keepers. Had to help about 1/3 of them with their promise. My RG promised to score lots of TDs  🙂

Honestly as a Father/Parent, this is what I want out of my boys experience (mojo, team, brotherhood, whatever you want to call it) and as a coach is what I feel should be goal #1. It's just they are 5/6 so I just don't know where the sweet spot is. I think we are on the right track it's just the train is moving slowly. I have a solid group of kids/families so far. It could make a nice core if we do it right.

ReplyQuote
coachtut
(@coachtut)
Bronze

How does everyone choose their captains?  I chose 4 new captains for each game last year, but am thinking about doing 2 permanent captains and then adding 2 more captains each week based on performance.

I have always liked the idea of permanent captains.  It allows me to expect more out of those guys and the step up to the challenge.  I have 5 this year.  It's like adding 5 coaches to some degree.  They call out their teammates if they see them not hustling, screwing around, etc. 

One thing I do, I pick 3 of the captains and let the team pick the other 2.  The coaching staff and I "nominate" those to be voted for though.  I have one kid that is very popular on the team, and he is one of our best players.  I won't allow him to be a captain because he has rolled the field twice this year for being disrespectful to a coach, and being disrespectful towards a teammate.  Our captains are coachable, and try their hardest during conditioning.

Coach Tut

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Royal

Everything is tuned ( toned ) towards the age group.

We didn't use Godzilla for the first graders, for example.

Their promises get MUCH better. Honestly you don't really care about what they are saying...you are teaching them to get in front of their Brothers and not fear speaking to them. You are killing off shyness.

Alpha Males are either really easy to spot....or impossible to spot because they are really young. They might have that outgoing personality that you look for but not ready to lead by example.

But the details of your regiment are critical. I remember some parents were shocked by how disciplined we were as coaches. The parents that had older kids playing were all smiles....the parents who just came from pre school sokker were mortified.

Your tone can certainly be there but you have to appreciate your audience. They need to realize that YOU are THEIR biggest fan and if you get on them its only because you know they can do better.

Just remember you are training 5/6 year olds parents too so learn about their families and who has the big brothers or sisters and who does not...then treat the ones that need some Kid Gloves properly until they fall in. Some wont....that is OK. I learned one very important lesson coaching this age group....

If Mom and or Dad are signing up their 37 pound 36 inch tall 5 year old to play tackle football....well...they are as insane as you are.  😉

Those that feel they made a mistake are few and far between. We had a Dad come to our sideline Game One and pull his son off the sideline and leave without saying one word to anyone. Never saw them again. Oh well...the rest of the kids had a total blast and that guy was a total dick by saying nothing....had we not witnessed his actions their would have been an Amber Alert out in less than one hour.  >:(

Dont fear the Mojo...embrace it. You know your team....you know how far you can take things.

We had weigh ins last night....mayhem...we only weigh in once per season so its...total mayhem.  There was only one team present that was a disciplined machine at this event...ours. Prez even called our Header to say thank you.

Pier pressure.  😉

Plus the stories that begin to come from home about some of your players will blow your mind.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

We didn't use Godzilla for the first graders, for example.

That is funny, almost drove straight to home depot after practice last night. A lap to the goal post and back wasn't quite enough for a few of them.

I'm finding it is much harder for the coaches than it is for the players to be disciplined or to say it better find the right amount of discipline, order etc. Sumo'ing for captains brought the light on in a couple of them but that light can go right back out pretty quickly. First game is tomorrow so I'm hoping to settle into a game week routine and follow it pretty closely. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
dcchan4
(@dcchan4)
Copper

I choose 4 based on leadership not skill, then I let the four select 1 more

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze

If you change their pick, then why let them choose?

--Dave

I want their input, but I told them I hold the right to veto a vote if they choose someone I feel isn't worthy. There were 4-5 kids I would have been fine with and they picked the top 3. Just something I would do in rare situations.

ReplyQuote
Share: